Wallet alternatives?

Thanks GallenR I think I got it from AsonBazar in Gloucester, England - from their Etsy UK shop.
The hand made stuff from Nepalese craftsman and artisans can be excellent quality and value.
Buy direct if you can.
I`ve found that hemp fibre stuff lasts much longer than cotton, linen or even flax- they are very durable indeed.

Mammut Smart Wallet Ultralight. Available in different colors. I spend a lot of time in the mountains, so every gramm counts. Really like mine.

20230919_123956.jpg
20230919_124048.jpg20230919_124054.jpg

What Ive observed is that most of these so-called "minimalist" wallets are hardly any thinner then a traditional leather billfold, while actually providing less space for cards & bills.

What fattens up the wallets of most people is useless old receipts, cards and change. Keep that stuff at home & you wont have a problem with traditional wallets. You can keep change you get loose in your pockets, then put it into a jar when you get home.

What Ive observed is that most of these so-called "minimalist" wallets are hardly any thinner then a traditional leather billfold, while actually providing less space for cards & bills.

There are definitely many minimalist wallet options available that are notably thinner than the average bifold. As for "providing less space for cards and bills" well, that's actually the entire point.

But it isn't just about thickness - it's also about length and width dimensions. A proper "minimalist" wallet is not only thinner, but also narrower than a typical bifold, facilitating front pocket carry more easily.

I wear 5.11 Taclite Pro pants and shorts. That pocket is my wallet.

1695137055827.png

What fattens up the wallets of most people is useless old receipts, cards and change. Keep that stuff at home & you wont have a problem with traditional wallets. You can keep change you get loose in your pockets, then put it into a jar when you get home.
You are wrong. Sorry. Minimalist wallets take up much less space. Yes, they force you to leave some cards at home (how many of your cards are really necessary on a daily basis? Most men carry lots of cards, like social security, etc. but how often do you really need those? And you can photograph those cards so they are available on your phone.

You are wrong. Sorry. Minimalist wallets take up much less space. Yes, they force you to leave some cards at home (how many of your cards are really necessary on a daily basis? Most men carry lots of cards, like social security, etc. but how often do you really need those? And you can photograph those cards so they are available on your phone.
The ones Ive seen are hardly any thinner then my billfold. Ive always carried my wallet (together with my phone) in my front left pocket, or in my inside jacket pocket. Never had any problems with discomfort or yearned for a smaller wallet.

Those big, fat wallets I see tend to be the ones with a coin compartment, or ones which are simply overfilled. I don't understand why a regular bi-fold would be too big for anyone, but maybe my pants just aren't skinny enough. I suppose I'm just not part of the target demographic. Just another one of life's mysteries. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I went through the thin wallet phase but found much missing so I went in the opposite direction. Now I have everything I would possibly need. Spec Ops Wallet Jr.
Made in the US and even has a small zipper pouch. I've had it for over 10 years and still looks great. Probably got 18-20 cards in it.
Sure it's a bit thick but It serves me well plus I don't carry 3 knives and 4 flashlights.
uWwTZlJl.jpg

I have a canvis RFID trifold I got from brookstone 10 years or more ago in the airport when I was flying for work, 9 cards and 7/8" thick. I'm married with child so I don't carry much cash 🤣 smaller always sounds nice but the cards I carry are frequently out. And I like the dividers so I don't have to search. The 9 cards are 5/16" thick so that leave me with 9/16" of wasted wallet material space. I carry front right pocket unless I pocket carry and then the whole system goes to pot. Normally 2 knives one of which is a belt knife.

I'm in my mid-40's and have carried the traditional bi-fold or tri-fold leather wallet since I was a teenager. I recently started wearing cargo pants due to some job and lifestyle requirements. I also CCW and would like to pocket carry regularly again.

I looked at those super slim wallets that have a money clip on them, but not sure that is for me. I have way too much stuff in my wallet so as it is. I want to get away from having a thick wallet in my back pocket. Getting tired on sitting on it.

Any ideas or recommendations?
You need to check out Distil Union.
I have been using their wally bi-fold for many many years and it is my favorite.
It is slim and the wallet will form around your cards that you keep in there slimming it down even further from new over time.
It does have a money clip which is fine and if I have receipts or other papers I just fold them and place them in the middle outside of the clip.
There are two sides and I keep 2 IDs in the inside pockets (1 on each side), 3 credit cards on one side of the flap, 4 cards (debit cards, health insurance, car insurance) on the other flap.
And it bends slightly (it's leather) so you can sit on it with comfort.

I purchased a lot of different wallets before finding Distil Union.

I would advise you against a minimalist card wallet clip thing.

I run security for an office building downtown. People lose those things constantly. We either find one on the ground or have one turned into our lost and found every other month.

I carry a small nylon wallet with a zipper compartment for spare keys and a wallet chain that clips to my belt loop.

I agree - once I realized how much crap I kept in my wallet that I didn't really need to, it was liberating. But that also turns your question on it's head - if all you really need is a 4-6 cards and a little cash, then why do you need a standard size billfold in the first place? With 4-6 cards + a little cash, I don't need something that folds over on itself and is usually designed to carry more than that.

It's not really about being part of a 'target demographic." It's about starting first with assessing what you really need to be carrying in a wallet, and then selecting an appropriately-sized way to carry it, rather than the other way around. If you need to carry more than that, then a larger wallet or a zipper pouch wallet probably makes sense. Most billfolds are larger and designed to carry more than I need to carry, pure and simple.

Last edited:

I run security for an office building downtown. People lose those things constantly. We either find one on the ground or have one turned into our lost and found every other month.

I carry a small nylon wallet with a zipper compartment for spare keys and a wallet chain that clips to my belt loop.
Adding a rubber band or two will keep them in the pocket nicely

LONE_DEER_LEATHER_PHONE_CASE.jpg

COIN_PURSE.jpg

FRONT_DOOR_KEY_BUNCH.jpg

To be perfectly frank I don`t usually carry a wallet at all.
I have a thick leather phone case with two debit cards in it; that`s usually all I need...

Unless I`m going somewhere that is cash-only, then I take an old tiny pop open leather purse or my Nepalese Himalayan hemp wallet.

Abroad, I`m savvy - I take two wallets with limited cash / insured travellers cheques in each - one local currency - one home currency - held in two front pockets ( to minimise being dipped )

My key bunch is chunky though - guilty as charged - haha !

People lose wallets - that's not a situation exclusive to minimalist wallets. A wallet every other month isn't a staggering number; and if there's a significantly larger number of those vs bifold/trifold styles, it may be reflective of their increasing popularity.

Back