Website Platforms

Hi, Im at the point where I am currently looking to build a website to sell my knives and am looking for input on different routes to go. I’ve heard horror stories about platforms like shopify and the like and am looking for advice on the best way to go; whether to use one of these platforms or hire someone to build me a website, pros and cons of each, other options and recommendations. Any help much appreciated, thanks!

I just moved to Albuquerque, NM and not only have I found no knife shows but I have not found any social media sites for selling knives. Of course, I am almost computer illiterate so there is that problem. If anyone knows about knife shows, please let me know.

You could use a unique hash tag with all your models on IG and they would be in one spot for people to see.

I have been thinking about putting together a website for years. Usually happens when I get fed up with social media but I still have not gone down the path mainly because I am tech lazy and cheap.

I don't have a site for knives, but I built my "real job" business website on Squarespace. Good selection of attractive templates that are pretty simple to customize. Also, swapping pictures is really easy. The analytics are simple to view and there are many options to manipulate if you choose to nerd out on that stuff. I mainly like the geographical viewing data.

I looked at Wordpress & Shopify, too. I chose Squarespace because it was the most user-friendly and intuitive to me. Shopify was a close second, and like Squarespace their offerings were definitely more geared towards online sales but even more so. I purchased my domain through Wordpress and for me it is far less user friendly, unless you have previous web experience then maybe not, but for me it was clunky and confusing. Because I purchased my domain through Wordpress I also have them host my business email. They use a cloud Titan server for that and I do like that feature.

If I ever get to the point of needing a website to sell my knives, I will most likely use Squarespace again. YMMV, of course.

Squarespace is what I would recommend. Knife Steel Nerds is built on Wordpress but it is better suited for blogging and it took some finagling to get it to function how I wanted.

Squarespace, like others mentioned, is affordable and user friendly. That being said, I switched to Pixpa now, which is a bit cheaper, but at the cost of being slightly less user friendly. No complaints on my part with either option!

I had a website for years, but really didn't do much with it, much less try to sell things through it. I'd always post on a few social media platforms and pay for a handful of "classifieds" memberships on some of the well known forums (including this one). Sales was always more of a "message me and we'll go from there".

I recently decided to start listing some things on my website (I use bluehost to host, wordpress for the layout, and woocommerce for the e-commerce plugin), and I have to say, it's made a world of difference to ease (and quantity) of sales. Yes, there are fees, but everything costs money now days. From what I can tell, there's really not a tremendous difference between most of the bigger players as far as hosting, site design and e-commerce platforms go. They all charge fees, and their user-friendliness is usually proportional to how big the fees are, which is usually only 2 or 3% of sales.
If I can't figure something out, there's usually a youtube video or a blog post about my issue somewhere. I've come across a few minor inconveniences here and there, but at my level, they're not really a deal breaker or something to get too hung up about.

As far as whether or not to pay somebody or do it yourself, that's up to you. If you get a good web designer, I'd say they're easily worth what they charge, and I do believe it will pay for itself.
On the other hand, I'm a cheap skate, so I just decided to wing it myself for now. I do need to make some tweaks and design changes to my own site, but for now, it gets the job done.

Wordpress with woocommerce installed is versatile for customization. It requires hosting and maintenance in addition to initial design.
Shopify or Squarespace are much easier if you don't want to hire a developer or don't want to touch the tech side of things.
There are literally hundreds of other options with varying ease and/or complexity of use.

I’ve used most of the major platforms and am currently using Shopify. If you’re looking to sell items, it’s the best platform out of all of them, in my experience/opinion. Very simple to schedule drops, everyone seems to have Shop accounts already, they take all major payment options and the setup is dead simple. I used to be on Squarespace for years and loved it but selling items on it wasn’t that great.

I've been using Shopify for about three years now and haven't had a problem.

Back