What's that you're eating?

I just ate a nice salad with lots of chunky veggies, and I decided to chop up that small red pepper (with large black seeds - hey, that’s unusual) that the nice lady at farmers market gave me for free…… it probably tastes like a small red bell pepper………. Uh, no, it is like fire and lava - not sure what she gave me but it is so hot it is ridiculous. Kinda ruined my salad.

New rule- do not take free peppers from strangers. I will find out what variety she gave me……..

Edit: second tip- DO NOT rub your eye after touching hot mystery pepper……..
Rococo Chiles, perhaps?

edit: Rocoto chiles. Looks like autocorrect snuck in on me.

Last edited:

It sure looks like the one pictured at the top in that article, but the article doesn’t seem to indicate how hot they are.

It was insanely hot, and then I had to stick my eyeball under the faucet to make the burning stop.

Maybe they are more palatable after cooking?

Edit: After my eye stopped burning I slowly re-read the article and it says “the Rocoto is very hot.”
Yes, it is….. very hot.

I just ate a nice salad with lots of chunky veggies, and I decided to chop up that small red pepper (with large black seeds - hey, that’s unusual) that the nice lady at farmers market gave me for free…… it probably tastes like a small red bell pepper………. Uh, no, it is like fire and lava - not sure what she gave me but it is so hot it is ridiculous. Kinda ruined my salad.

New rule- do not take free peppers from strangers. I will find out what variety she gave me……..

FYI, the capsaicin in some peppers can stay on your hands for a few days and doesn't wash off with water and soap.

Be careful touching your eyes until you know that your hands are clean and clear. You can test it by touching your tongue with your finger tips. If it tingles or burns, don't touch your eyes.

I've heard that vinegar can be used to clean your hands and break down the capsaicin, but I've never tried it.

😁

And one of my favorite Jackie Chan scenes. I remember laughing my ass off when I first watched it, oh so long ago.

Tonight’s featured ingredient is…
IMG_0144.jpeg

Bacon!

Wrapped the steaks and potatoes.
IMG_0145.jpeg

Cooked up more bacon with some vidalia onions for potato toppings later.
IMG_0146.jpeg

IMG_0148.jpeg

IMG_0149.jpeg

Bacon grease in the vegetables for some extra flavor.
IMG_0150.jpeg

Now the wait until it’s time to grill. Some coffee rub on the steaks.
IMG_0151.jpeg

And since it is Derby Day, a fresh mint julep.
IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0154.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

Last edited:
The same thing that’s for dinner every Sunday Pinky.
IMG-6876.jpg

IMG-6877.jpg

Bought a couple of whole chickens for 98 cents/# the other day and used one to make Cantonese Poached Chicken (白切鸡 – bak chit gai ).

Here's a plate w/a few breast pieces (topped w/a "sauce" made of canola oil, grated ginger, minced scallions & salt), 1 cup of Hainanese flavored white steamed rice & some steamed sliced asparagus.

PCGPTwg.jpeg

It's very easy to make.

All I do is stuff the chicken w/ginger & scallions & drop it in a big pot of water (also flavored w/gigner & scallions); simmer for about 1hr, let it cool, cut it up "Chinese style" & serve. It is normally served a room temp but, since I store it in the frig, I warm it up lightly in the microwave before service.

Still have 1/2 of the chicken in the frig.

If you need a recipe, you can find one here: Woks of Life - Cantonese Poached Chicken.

PS: "Waste not, want not." I made 2 quarts of jook ("congee") with the chicken broth left over after poaching the chicken. And I've still got the other whole chicken in the frig that I'm probably going to roast in the next day because there's not enough room for it in the freezer.

Last edited:
Potatoes, peppers, onions, pork sausage, scrambled eggs, topped with avocado and a fried egg. Damn tasty.

I seasoned the potatoes with Kinder's caramelized onion seasoning. It's amazing on veggies. If you guys haven't tried Kinder's seasoning line, you really need to.

View attachment 2566186
Kinders makes awesome seasonings and sauces!!!!!

Potatoes, peppers, onions, pork sausage, scrambled eggs, topped with avocado and a fried egg. Damn tasty.

I seasoned the potatoes with Kinder's caramelized onion seasoning. It's amazing on veggies. If you guys haven't tried Kinder's seasoning line, you really need to.

View attachment 2566186
That looks amazing. Egg cooked perfectly over the other eggs with meat and avocado. Awesome!

On the road for work tonight, so I don’t have to cook! Green beans were delicious, and the steak was cooked just right.
IMG_0197.jpeg

Stopped at a local liquor store earlier and they had a good bottle of bourbon. The paper cups in the hotel room are pretty shitty to sip on, so I asked the bartender at the restaurant if I could buy a glass to take with me back to the hotel. Thank you bartender.

IMG_0203.jpeg

That looks amazing. Egg cooked perfectly over the other eggs with meat and avocado. Awesome!

On the road for work tonight, so I don’t have to cook! Green beans were delicious, and the steak was cooked just right.
View attachment 2566293

Stopped at a local liquor store earlier and they had a good bottle of bourbon. The paper cups in the hotel room are pretty shitty to sip on, so I asked the bartender at the restaurant if I could buy a glass to take with me back to the hotel. Thank you bartender.

View attachment 2566294
Tough to beat a well cooked steak

Made some Beef Stew w/2.5# of Cubed Chuck Roast & some Carrots, Peas & Mushrooms using the broth from the Braised Oxtails that I made the other day for the stock:

TxAw1lk.jpeg

It was very tasty & it's almost all gone. So, I'm thinking of making some more w/the other 2.5# piece of Chuck Roast that I've still got in the freezer. :)

Last edited:
Back