• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

who can make this?

i'm looking for something very specific... i'd like to know if you can make it

below is a picture of the knife i'd like to have. I understand that it won't be exact, but the general idea is what i'm looking for.

i'd like to keep the price reasonable...

168t07o.jpg

There are several makers around here who can make a knife like that for you. Both smiths who forge their own damascus and stock removal guys who buy damascus barstock and grind it to shape. There are also a lot of other options in that example; (appears to be) stabilized burl wood, mosaic pins and filework on the tang. Each adds cost and there are many choices for each, you'll need to narrow it down a bit before someone can give you a quote.

"Reasonable" doesn't mean much. Damascus is expensive right off the bat due to the labor involved in making it. Got a budget in mind?

Good luck in your search, you definitely have good taste.

There are several makers around here who can make a knife like that for you. Both smiths who forge their own damascus and stock removal guys who buy damascus barstock and grind it to shape. There are also a lot of other options in that example; (appears to be) stabilized burl wood, mosaic pins and filework on the tang. Each adds cost and there are many choices for each, you'll need to narrow it down a bit before someone can give you a quote.

"Reasonable" doesn't mean much. Damascus is expensive right off the bat due to the labor involved in making it. Got a budget in mind?

Good luck in your search, you definitely have good taste.

thanks for the fast reply... first, i don't have a price in mind exactly, but there were several dozen damascus blades at the last gun show under 200 so that seemed like a good anchor point

i'm not necessarly attached to the damascus, but i want high quality steel... better than the walmart crap i've had in the past....

i am willing to entertain other options so long as the style of the knife is maintained

Have you looked in the Knife Makers For sale section? I've seen a lot of that style blade...

thanks for the fast reply... first, i don't have a price in mind exactly, but there were several dozen damascus blades at the last gun show under 200 so that seemed like a good anchor point

i'm not necessarly attached to the damascus, but i want high quality steel... better than the walmart crap i've had in the past....

i am willing to entertain other options so long as the style of the knife is maintained

When looking at a damascus knife for under $200, you better have a long hard talk with the maker. There's an exceptionally high chance that it's junk. Quality damascus can easily run $50-100 per inch just for the barstock.

If you want high quality "regular" steel, go to the For Sale section like Greg advised. $200 or so can get you a very nice handmade bushcraft-style knife like the one you showed :thumbup:

there are a few, but nothing with the handle type that i'm looking for

E-mail the makers of the ones you liked, include your pic and any other ideas you have, and ask for a quote. Many makers enjoy custom orders.

200 is pretty low for pattern welded steel. Is there something wrong with the maker who did the knife in question? I can't make out the mark. HH?

nothing is wrong with it, but i can't find afford the price tag they had on this knife

as i mentioned, i wouldn't be opposed to having the knife made in something other than damascus... i could live with one of the better steel alloys. What is important to me is that it be exceedingly sharp, and of high quality.

can anyone point me in the direction of someone who makes extremely good knives? I have looked through the for sale pages, and can't find anything that is what i'd like to have

there's a guy who says he can make exactly what i want in 440c steel for $100... his work gets high reviews on Texashuntingforum.com so i'm considering it, but would like a recommendation from the experts

is 440c a good steel for hard use? this is going to be a work knife and will be used on a regular basis to skin deer and pigs. Should i be looking for a different allow (D2 perhaps )?

440C is fine steel, will hold up under your conditions. You'll have to sharpen it as regularly as you use it, not so different than any other knife.

That handle appears to be Desert Ironwood burl. If so, a set of scales with that much figure would cost $50 give or take a few bucks. So if the maker can make a blade and put scales of that quality on it and still sell it for $100 you better jump on it. I could do one similar to that with scales of that quality in any non damascus alloy (carbon or stainless) you would like for $200 with a leather sheath made to your specs.

assuming you used a more standard set of scales, what would you be looking at? i am not attached to the specific scales, so long as whatever is used looks good

Those handles appear to be not ironwood, but a particularly choice example of Rosewood Burl.

If you would like you can call me at (318) 339-8290. If its long distance post a phone number here and I will call you. We can talk more about exactly what you want and go from there.

I emailed you back, im a 1095 guy, that is a "hhh' randy hass knife,i dont like to copy a mans pattern if you can get one for 100.00 sounds good, it is rosewood burl not ironwood

thanks folks

BA, i've sent you an email with some specs... Darrin, i'll give you a call tomorrow.

I have seen some truly amazing work here, and hopefully i'll be able to get what i want made.

It's my opinion that amazing work won't be had for $100, $200 will be a steal if it's well made. High-end materials do add to the expense of a knife, but at the end of the day, the bulk of what you're paying for is the craftsman's time and expertise.

I bet if you called Randy or sent him an e-mail he would be willing to make you a monosteel blade of that design.

A piece of nice damascus big enough for that knife would cost $100, methinks.

That's a beautiful knife. The Damascus looks to be high quality for sure, multibar twist with clean welds. The wood is killer, and the mosaic pins ain't actually very cheap, either. I'd think this knife would go for significantly more than $200 for sure.

Some guys like Bill Akers seem to be able to make killer damascus knives for very reasonable prices, though.

Back