Review WIP: Full Featured 2x72 for under $1500?!? Housemade Gen 4 Revolution Kit Build

A little update: I've been struggling with the VFD and getting that all ironed out. Not much to show or post on until that is dialed in. I'm still waiting on that Pheer drive wheel, which is my missing link in potentially isolating a symptom I am having with mid-range vibration. I need to load the motor to see if this goes away. If it doesn't, then I will most likely return my original VFD and try another one that is not such a budget version. That may blow my $1500 limit, but the cheap VFD can still be an option for those that can live with the symptoms.

Handle preview…..

8A4DDFCB-61EC-4774-A4E4-85EC0483FA65.jpeg

Acrylic liquid inlace “Abyss”

Got the handle material shaped & polished. First time using this material and it turned out pretty cool. Sanded up to 800 grit and buffed with a little brown tripoli.

E49C5716-85E8-42A3-A47A-2D9C3F69C378.jpeg

299979D3-41E4-4557-AC63-D1E0207DEBD9.jpeg

I decided to just ignore the oversized holes in the handle & just let the epoxy do its job.

Last edited:
Well, after a week of deep, deep soul searching, multivariable calculus, some dark web research, intense meditation, and several contemplating pipes stuffed with Boswell’s Best, I’m happy (and kinda proud) to report that I believe I have the VFD programming issue figured out. I want to give a special THANK YOU to “fitzo” for sharing a manual to a similar unit that was written much better—though still not well—than the one that accompanied mine. It allowed me to bridge some gaps in terminologies and definitions.

I got the new 6” drive wheel today, mounted it up and ran it with a belt. I don’t think I could ask for better initial performance from a motor/VFD combo that costs about $350. Time will ultimately tell, but worst-case scenario is I have another skill set and best case is that it runs like a raped ape for years and years to come!

So here it is, not quite finished yet but fully functional:

I run it up & down the pot, then do a hot reverse. The tracking took some fiddling, but I was thrilled how it runs forward/reverse with almost no shift in belt position.

ETA: I see the video cuts out before I do what I mentioned above, so you’ll just have to trust me. 😂

Last edited:
The machine is done as far a fab & assembly go, but I still have a few "upgrades" to share. One is a really cool True-Tilt bevel grinding table accessory that I'll fit up. The other is an addition to the platen D-plate that will allow a 6" contact wheel in lieu of the 2" aluminum platen wheel--this will give me a 2" contact wheel on top and a 6" contact wheel on the bottom of the flat platen tool arm. A real combination platen arm. I just finished sketching out the template last night. I'll post as I progress.

So now we have a complete fab'd up chassis, complete wheel kit, motor and VFD. Let's check the ledger:

Revolution 4 Cut Kit w/weld seams removed: $595.00
Ameribrade wheel kit (2-2" wheels, 4" tracking wheel, & 6" contact wheel): 233.00
Automation Direct IronHorse MTR Series 2HP 3600 RPM 3ph Motor: 262.00
Amazon 3hp/2.2kw YL600 VFD: 89.99
220V complete wiring kit from Housemade.us: 68.00
Pheer 6" Drive Wheel: 100.00

Running Total: $1347.99

I had to focus on my real job for a bit, but I got around to designing & fabbing up a D-plate extension to accommodate a 6” contact wheel for my platen arm.

3C2CCCED-21C6-4CEF-A78D-7601EF03E1DA.jpeg

I made a support gusset for added rigidity, but I’m not sure it’s necessary. What do y’all think? I’m interested in your thoughts on this.

DF4D8A35-CFD1-4AC8-89BA-84AFA0967F18.jpeg

With this platen assembly I can use the flat platen, the 2” contact wheel…

CF31A334-2E1C-43BC-B306-A5200A95657D.jpeg

….and the 6” contact wheel without changing the tool arm.

92A062B4-E95D-4B2F-ACE0-E0D3F7218D44.jpeg

I ended up removing a little over an inch if the tool arm to allow the entire assembly to nest in closer to the frame, reducing the spring tension on everything due to the additional perimeter the 6” wheel creates. No adverse affects from that.

No additional project cost for this, since it was accounted for the original wheel kit.

I'd say use it as is, see if it needs strengthening.
The less heat you add, the less chance you have of warping.

Of course, I'm a crap welder and I warp stuff allot, so you might have better luck than me.

I added a HM True-Tilt bevel table with the money left in my $1500 budget:

6E7FC8B0-316D-443D-96FE-09A01C8A8E6E.jpeg

4C6BA8AC-E679-406B-AE80-F45D8023508B.jpeg

That’s a $135 accessory, so I’m still under $1500 total!

This is so impressive!! How many hours do you think it took you to get it to where it is now?

This is so impressive!! How many hours do you think it took you to get it to where it is now?
That’s a good question. I don’t think I can give you a good answer. I did it in little blocks of time over the last six weeks or so. Maybe 40 hrs? It will really depend on many variables, like fabrication experience level, available tooling, your concerns (or lack of) for aesthetics, your tolerances for precision, etc. None of it was difficult, but it took some problem solving, adaptability, and fitting skills. The best part is I get to keep it!

Thanks. I like the features of your grinder, but unfortunately doubt my welding ability is up to the job. I've never done a project like this (many steps and a lot of time) and I enjoyed your posts about it a lot.

The welding is all very basic. Don’t let that scare you. The plans are organised well & very detailed, too. A MIG welder would make short work of this build with minimal cost & experience. Plus, a MIG welder is a great tool to have in your shop anyways. I use TIG because it’s what I have & what I like to do.

You can build this.

Just a little update. I smoked my chinesium VFD, so I upgraded to a KBDA-27D. I also disassembled everything and gave everything a protective coating of paint. Reassembled everything and put on a new adjustable height work table. I really dig it.

772618BE-32CA-4C8D-B60D-D3EE5E815CF1.jpeg

9465A7C5-BEA8-4498-963A-31778CDBAD99.jpeg

Nice!! I see that's the digital version of the kbac... How do you like it? Mine is the old school analog haha

So far so good. It was in stock, and I just spent an enormous amount of mental & emotional equity learning to program my original one so I gave it a go. The English programming guide from KB was wonderful, and it took me only about an hour to get up & running. Some cool features and many I’ll never use, so I wouldn’t feel outdated at all if I were you.

Sweet! Make sure you set up the electric braking (can't remember what it's called) it's an amazing feature not many know about 👍

I added a HM True-Tilt bevel table with the money left in my $1500 budget:

View attachment 1946585

View attachment 1946586

That’s a $135 accessory, so I’m still under $1500 total!
Does your table seem true on each side?

I've got a more traditional looking table that either needs shims or some sort of micro- adjustment?

*Love the new color. I need to clean and paint mine too, someday

Does your table seem true on each side?

I've got a more traditional looking table that either needs shims or some sort of micro- adjustment?

*Love the new color. I need to clean and paint mine too, someday
Thanks Crag! I did my best to “tram” everything, but after welding the stem to the bottom the table it warped a little. Not enough to see by eye, but it manifested itself on the first blade i ground. Pissed me off! So I spent the better half of sn afternoon tweaking it true. I think I have it right now. We’ll see if it holds adjustment.

Back