15V vs K390

lambertiana

Gold Member
I'm on a limited budget now and I see that some 15V models will be forthcoming, and I am thinking about getting one when they come out. I want to find out if it is worth my limited funds to get one. I'm interested in real world experience with 15V vs K390 (I have K390 Delica, Dragonfly, and Ladybug, so I am familiar with how it behaves). I know that 15V does better in the CATRA testing, but I don't do much cutting of silica-embedded cards. For those of you who have used both 15V and K390, how do they compare when cutting other materials, such as plastic and wood? How does the initial shaving sharpness last while being used for typical EDC tasks, and how do they compare for long term sharpness? How does the sharpening response compare?

I like 15V better for daily use, but my use is mostly cutting packaging, rope/fabric, cardboard, etc. It sharpens very well and for me has resisted corrosion better than K390. 15V strops back up very well for me with diamond compound. The overall sharpening experience with 15V is really something (I always use diamond abrasives for it).

I'm one that really likes high carbide steels, which aren't necessarily for everyone or every use case. But 15V has become a top favorite blade steel.

Sharpness does last a long time for me... but especially with high carbide steels I'm more interested in working edge longevity... front end sharpness should last longer but in all steels front end screaming sharp edges go away relatively quickly... if you're touching edges up daily then high carbide steels probably won't be your thing.

I think 15V is well worth trying if you like K390.

Here's a couple glamor shots just for fun. I like thin edges.

i-CjG5k2v-L.jpg

i-zMt26qG-L.jpg

Yes, that is well known. How about real world differences in performance?
Considerably more edge retention, in my experience. Requires diamonds or CBN to get a good edge. Higher cool factor.

I love both steels, but for me K390 is more "the perfect all-around knife steel if you don't need stainless" and 15v is on a very short list of "steels that make me go whoa."

Considerably more edge retention, in my experience. Requires diamonds or CBN to get a good edge. Higher cool factor.

I love both steels, but for me K390 is more "the perfect all-around knife steel if you don't need stainless" and 15v is on a very short list of "steels that make me go whoa."

Ive been impressed with k390.
I also know that I'm pretty stupid with a knife, and I wonder how long before I break the 15v?

I don't intentionally do bad things..... But I know some who would think cutting plastic zip ties is knife abuse...... For me, that's not. I'll cut them.
I need tough knives.

Ive been impressed with k390.
I also know that I'm pretty stupid with a knife, and I wonder how long before I break the 15v?

I don't intentionally do bad things..... But I know some who would think cutting plastic zip ties is knife abuse...... For me, that's not. I'll cut them.
I need tough knives.
Cutting plastic zip ties is only knife abuse if you do it wrong. Good angle, no wobbling or wiggling, straight cut, no problem. If the edge is sharp, it just goes right through them, if you got your leverage right.

Cutting plastic zip ties is only knife abuse if you do it wrong. Good angle, no wobbling or wiggling, straight cut, no problem. If the edge is sharp, it just goes right through them, if you got your leverage right.

That's why I'm leary of 15 (I've never used it) but I like a cushion of safety...ha!

I can't even imagine what it's like to grind

I Had to buy my diamond bench stone, Just because of k390

That's why I'm leary of 15 (I've never used it) but I like a cushion of safety...ha!

I can't even imagine what it's like to grind

I Had to buy my diamond bench stone, Just because of k390
Your diamond bench stone is also the magic answer to sharpening crappy stainless steel kitchen knives. Also Global and Shun knives, which are awful to sharpen on anything else.

Your diamond bench stone is also the magic answer to sharpening crappy stainless steel kitchen knives. Also Global and Shun knives, which are awful to sharpen on anything else.

I'm still not used to how rough they are.

Atoma, I believe 1200? Very fine?
I'm not in front of it, but it's their finest grit
Ah, OK. Yes, diamond plates are really scratchy. They get somewhat less so with break-in. Resin-bonded diamond stones are more tractable. The really good ($$$) ones, like Naniwa, are downright fun to sharpen on. A Naniwa 600 or 1000 diamond stone is a pleasure to sharpen on, even with the most formidable supersteels.

Ah, OK. Yes, diamond plates are really scratchy. They get somewhat less so with break-in. Resin-bonded diamond stones are more tractable. The really good ($$$) ones, like Naniwa, are downright fun to sharpen on. A Naniwa 600 or 1000 diamond stone is a pleasure to sharpen on, even with the most formidable supersteels.

I'll check those names out, Thank You!

*I thought I was buying one of the better ones according to what I heard...?

You bought the absolute best diamond plate. Diamond stones are a whole other rabbit hole.
Now you got me Looking....

I freehand, but the way it feels, and sounds is important to me

*mostly Hard, high alloy and HSS

Now you got me Looking....

I freehand, but the way it feels, and sounds is important to me

*mostly Hard, high alloy and HSS
Some names for your quest, in ascending order: Venev, Naniwa, NSK. Above that are the vitrified stones from FSK or BBB. Japanese Knife Imports has an 800 grit vitrified stone, but it's very smooth and much better for kitchen knives than folders or fixed blades. I know Venev is the cheapest, but if you are involved with sharpening feel, it's very much worth springing for Naniwa or NSK. If you start looking at NSK, I can provide some thoughts about hardness choices, because they have multiple options.

Atoma plates are pretty rough for their grit rating. I use them for reprofiles. Not so much for edges unless you like things extra toothy.

I do use my Atoma stones with water, makes them feel less like sharpening on a gravel road.

This is a hard one. Really If this is your delima, your outcomes going to be excellent either way. Right now I'm rotating between a 15v paramilitary2 on the weekends and a k390 delica as my work knife. Honestly I'd say if your budget allows, 15v is a great steel. But i wouldn't strain yourself financially just to get it with a fleet of k390 at your disposal. K390 is no slouch and I use my knives moderately and can't really tell a difference between them. I think 15v would win in a cardboard cutting contest but in day in day out they are very similar. Front end shaving sharpeness is about the same, that strops back easier with k390 (diamond strops). Both have a similar HRC and edge stability/strength. I've cut carpet on a recent floor job with both and have been impressed intentionally pushing the 15v dragging it across the subfloor to cut up the pad, after the carpet, it keeps on cutting. But that k390 on the delica hold it's own too. Both sharpen very well for me, easily deburring.

If you got the bucks, its money we'll spent. If not, don't sweat it, your k390s doing about the same thing. And I think these new 15v is a new lineup like maxamet or s110v. So not a sprint. No rush.

The one thing I will note, it does seem like 15v will microchip. I have on a couple edges now found after some use I can keep it maintained with a strop and have it shaving sharp. But I think 2 times I've had a dead spot on the edge that will hiccup when slicing paper. I can't see anything so it's a very tiny dead spot, but there none the less.

My k390 never does that. It's pretty consistent, no chipping or issues.

Back