15V vs K390

15V has more strength than you would think, especially at its ~65rc hardness, thanx to Shawn's heat-treating prowess:

*Video credit to Shawn's YT channel.

I've torqued into G-10 with no real ill-effect regarding detrimental edge damage. I typically see catastrophic failure at the edge after such testing abuse.

K390 has been one of the rustiest steels that I've ever pocketed. Looking forward to possibly catching one of the upcoming 15V models in the pipeline to see how it fares in the pocket.

Overall, it looks as though 15V bridges the gap in overall performance between K390 and Maxamet. I've actually had better results with 15V than Maxamet, but that could be due to the ease of sharpening that Shawn's treatment of 15V offers.

Truly, an exceptional steel not to be missed. I'd take 15V over K390, at any opportunity.

This is a hard one. Really If this is your delima, your outcomes going to be excellent either way. Right now I'm rotating between a 15v paramilitary2 on the weekends and a k390 delica as my work knife. Honestly I'd say if your budget allows, 15v is a great steel. But i wouldn't strain yourself financially just to get it with a fleet of k390 at your disposal. K390 is no slouch and I use my knives moderately and can't really tell a difference between them. I think 15v would win in a cardboard cutting contest but in day in day out they are very similar. Front end shaving sharpeness is about the same, that strops back easier with k390 (diamond strops). Both have a similar HRC and edge stability/strength. I've cut carpet on a recent floor job with both and have been impressed intentionally pushing the 15v dragging it across the subfloor to cut up the pad, after the carpet, it keeps on cutting. But that k390 on the delica hold it's own too. Both sharpen very well for me, easily deburring.

If you got the bucks, its money we'll spent. If not, don't sweat it, your k390s doing about the same thing. And I think these new 15v is a new lineup like maxamet or s110v. So not a sprint. No rush.

Thanks. This kind of real world experience is what I wanted. Keep it coming folks!

K390 for me.
I prefer it over M4 and M390

Why K390, because 15V is almost as hard to get as a Slyze Bowie.

I'd choose K390. I've got a delica, endura, stretch, and a police in K390 and find each easy to sharpen and hard to dull.

I scored a factory 2nd PM2 in 15V last summer and, although I really enjoy it, I find that my K390 edges seem to last longer. I know that all trustworthy data indicates that 15V should outshine K390, so I presume 2 factors are at play:

1. The PM2 came with a somewhat obtuse edge (atypical for Spyderco), which I gradually reprofiled as i sharpened it; and

2. My freehand sharpening skills may be lacking.

Regardless, both are great.

I'd choose K390. I've got a delica, endura, stretch, and a police in K390 and find each easy to sharpen and hard to dull.

I scored a factory 2nd PM2 in 15V last summer and, although I really enjoy it, I find that my K390 edges seem to last longer. I know that all trustworthy data indicates that 15V should outshine K390, so I presume 2 factors are at play:

1. The PM2 came with a somewhat obtuse edge (atypical for Spyderco), which I gradually reprofiled as i sharpened it; and

2. My freehand sharpening skills may be lacking.

Regardless, both are great.
Edge geometry makes a big difference when comparing knives.

Same angle
Wa66rzl.png

Different angles
NXbybhL.png

"52100 out cuts Maxamet"

Hrmm

Edge geometry makes a big difference when comparing knives.

Same angle
Wa66rzl.png

Different angles
NXbybhL.png

"52100 out cuts Maxamet"

Hrmm

That brings to mind someone who shall remain unnamed who did a lot of testing with rope...he didn't measure edge angle, but he did measure edge bevel thickness, and pretty much considered it a single variable comparison of steels, even though the thickness behind the edge varied a lot between the various knives. He even reground a few of the knives and retested them and, surprise surprise, saw significant improvement. He took me to task when I said a simpler steel could outperform a super steel, depending on geometry, and what you have just shown supports that belief.

I have always been a fan of thinner grinds and lower angles. I once sent a small Sebenza back to CR because it just wasn't performing as well as some of my other knives in the same steel. CR sent it back and said it was in Rc spec, and also told me that I was running the edge bevel at too low an angle (around 12 dps) and said that it needed to be run at a much steeper angle. That was just covering up for a poor HT that resulted in a low RC that couldn't support a low angle.

Back