Review 3V Mini Pendleton and Secure-ex sheath dulling nightmare...

I wanted to bump this...is there any way to identify old sheaths vs new ones from the outside? I recently purchased a Cold Steel SRK in 3V steel (38CKE) from a seller in Finland. I've read reports about the sheath being terrible and dulling the blade in the past so I havent opened the sheath that came in the plastic. I'd like to know if the sheath I have is the new version or the older one. Please let me know how I can identify it.

I wanted to bump this...is there any way to identify old sheaths vs new ones from the outside? I recently purchased a Cold Steel SRK in 3V steel (38CKE) from a seller in Finland. I've read reports about the sheath being terrible and dulling the blade in the past so I havent opened the sheath that came in the plastic. I'd like to know if the sheath I have is the new version or the older one. Please let me know how I can identify it.
That was just the story to cover it up I think. As even GSM logo knives have this issue, it's even worse now actually. I see loads of complaints in FB groups...

Ignore that Cold Steel post. If the Cold Steel knife comes with a Secure ex sheath, it WILL absolutely dull the edge 100%.

Ignore that Cold Steel post. If the Cold Steel knife comes with a Secure ex sheath, it WILL absolutely dull the edge 100%.
I have mixed experiences with the good 'ol dull-ex sheaths. One my srk, recon tanto and the mini hunter they did dull the edge every draw. One my large fixed blades, drop forged bowie, df survivalist and the marauder they work just fine. That being said, I still kinda hate them and wish they were just kydex or even a durable plastic like the kershaw camp machetes use.

My expectations were low, but still... I am very disappointed.

Long story short, I took razor sharp Mini Pendleton in 3V and decided to use it as EDC for a day instead of Boker GoBag.
Lucky for me, I put my GoBag in my backpack just in case.
So, I pull my knife out and I'm about to cut a zip tie and I have to power through?!?! How come? So thin behind the edge and full flat grind... I try to shave my hair and not only it's no longer shaving, but I can touch the edge and slide my finger down without fear of being cut. That sheath did this to 3V! To 3V!!! So I tossed this piece of 3V in my backpack and pulled out my old piece of D2 instead...
I can longer use this knife until that piece of leather arrives here and I make it another sheath. I won't even resharpen it till then since sheath will just get it dull.

So, it's sad for me as knife enthusiast that my first experience carrying a new knife is how dull it was when I needed it.
If you supply a knife with a sheath that will dull it in single day just by carrying it - you need a better sheath. This is plain embarassing. You made a sheath that will even dull 3V just from carry! I couldn't do that even if I tried!

I was so excited to use this knife but ended up to going back to knife this one should replace, because the old one at least doesn't get dulled by it's sheath!

I'm not a liar, I have pics, hell, I will email you pics of the knife and receip! I bought it recently from legit supplier and I have issues already.
Knife is awesome, but it's unusuable due to extremley poor sheath. I would have rather received it without any sheath at all. It's embarassing that even plain nylon sheath that come with 5€ knives from E-Bay and AliExpress is better than sheath provided with not so cheap Cold Steel. It at least won't dull the blade.

This is not first time I have issues with Secure-Ex sheath so I knew what I'm getting into, but new knife in 3V steel to get dulled under a day, just from carry! This is the new record!

So to summarize my review:
Nice blade, nice handle, but crappy sheath that renders the blade unusable if you want to actually cut something with it. It fits my pocket nicley but it was just there as a paper weight since I had to do actual work with another knife, as this thing was as dull as a spoon, because of crappy sheath Cold Steel provided me with.

I'd rate this as 2/5 since sheath is 50% of package here and is crucial to carrying the blade. And I paid for dysfunctional sheath.
I've never had any problem with these sheaths , but apparently many folks do .

I suggest not buying anymore unless you are willing to replace the sheath .

Problem solved ! You're Welcome . ;)

Thanks for all this guys. R rustinxcohle D DocJD D DayofReckoning E EatingSarma in that case, would any of you recommend a nice sheath for my Cold Steel SRK 3V knife? I'm looking for something not too expensive, and I'm based in Canada so looking for something reasonable in price since the Secure-ex Sheath as you all suggested looks like it sucks.

I read that perhaps the Buck 119 Sheath might fit the Cold Steel SRK knife. Are there other options you'd suggest?

Last edited:
Thanks for all this guys. R rustinxcohle D DocJD D DayofReckoning E EatingSarma in that case, would any of you recommend a nice sheath for my Cold Steel SRK 3V knife? I'm looking for something not too expensive, and I'm based in Canada so looking for something reasonable in price since the Secure-ex Sheath as you all suggested looks like it sucks.

I read that perhaps the Buck 119 Sheath might fit the Cold Steel SRK knife. Are there other options you'd suggest?
Ka-Bar leather sheath will work just fine for the SRK and won't break the bank either.

You might want to try out the factory sheath and see if it works for you . :)

Not everyone and every CS sheath has this problem , or at least is not bothered by it .

Theoretically 3V should not be super easy to dull .

You can always get a replacement if you don't like the one supplied .

PS : If the CS sheath can so easily dull a knife , it should also be able to sharpen it . 🤔

You might want to try out the factory sheath and see if it works for you . :)

Not everyone and every CS sheath has this problem , or at least is not bothered by it .

Theoretically 3V should not be super easy to dull .

You can always get a replacement if you don't like the one supplied .

PS : If the CS sheath can so easily dull a knife , it should also be able to sharpen it . 🤔
yeah it won't sharpen it.......I have at least a dozen plus of secure ex different models. a small handful I have are secure-dullers. weirdly I have some of the same model. one has a duller one doesn't. its a weird tolerance deal.

what can be said in my sample is its truly hit and miss and on the lower end of dulling or misfitting.

yeah it won't sharpen it.......I have at least a dozen plus of secure ex different models. a small handful I have are secure-dullers. weirdly I have some of the same model. one has a duller one doesn't. its a weird tolerance deal.

what can be said in my sample is its truly hit and miss and on the lower end of dulling or misfitting.
I must believe you ...but find this all very confusing .

NOT intuitively obvious to me, theoretically, how any material can so easily dull an edge , but can't sharpen ?

Honestly , IDK , with my use , I've just never noticed any problem . I have tons of them .

But, I will habitually "touch-up " any knife I use a lot , before each job .

This "grueling task" takes seconds on a barely dull blade , so I can readily imagine this is a vital issue for many users who can't sharpen freehand . :rolleyes:

Alternative sheaths , like leather or Cordura nylon etc , have many problems in a dirty , wet environment . I've owned many . They suck !

The Securex sheaths are at least cheap , strong and very washable . Extremely low maintenance . I like them ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cold Steel is (or WAS) a bargain , high value / performance company .

If anyone needs a different sheath , please just buy one and stop crying about it ! :mad:

I must believe you ...but find this all very confusing .

NOT intuitively obvious to me, theoretically, how any material can so easily dull an edge , but can't sharpen ?

Honestly , IDK , with my use , I've just never noticed any problem . I have tons of them .

But, I will habitually "touch-up " any knife I use a lot , before each job .

This "grueling task" takes seconds on a barely dull blade , so I can readily imagine this is a vital issue for many users who can't sharpen freehand . :rolleyes:

Alternative sheaths , like leather or Cordura nylon etc , have many problems in a dirty , wet environment . I've owned many . They suck !

The Securex sheaths are at least cheap , strong and very washable . Extremely low maintenance . I like them ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cold Steel is (or WAS) a bargain , high value / performance company .

If anyone needs a different sheath , please just buy one and stop crying about it ! :mad:
the glass in ductboard doesn't sharpen blades either. I know cause I've tried...... but it sure will kill an edge and fast as in one cut. it's not uniform enough setup, to sharpen. you can try to sharpen on your secure ex sheaths if you think it will work well. no ones gonna stop ya...😁

I have bought replacement sheaths for ones that needed them. I wont shut up and stop crying about facts and truth, sorry doc. dont know why it upsets you so much that the secure ex are hit and miss. cause its true and a fact.

you've just hit the better side, but wait til ya run into one that doesn't fit at all or dulls. cause I have and no not fakes...from authorized dealers and even from cold steel themselves on one from a sale long ago.

you can not care and thats fine, but you can't say it doesn't happen. cause I know it does as I've experienced it more than once. until I did I was like you thinking these people complaining were crazy, whiny or doing something wrong......they arent crazy, whiny or doing anything wrong.

cold steel should get off their rear and fix the issue and put an end to it. til then I'll keep crying.😄

the glass in ductboard doesn't sharpen blades either. I know cause I've tried...... but it sure will kill an edge and fast as in one cut. it's not uniform enough setup, to sharpen. you can try to sharpen on your secure ex sheaths if you think it will work well. no ones gonna stop ya...😁

I have bought replacement sheaths for ones that needed them. I wont shut up and stop crying about facts and truth, sorry doc. dont know why it upsets you so much that the secure ex are hit and miss. cause its true and a fact.

you've just hit the better side, but wait til ya run into one that doesn't fit at all or dulls. cause I have and no not fakes...from authorized dealers and even from cold steel themselves on one from a sale long ago.

you can not care and thats fine, but you can't say it doesn't happen. cause I know it does as I've experienced it more than once. until I did I was like you thinking these people complaining were crazy, whiny or doing something wrong......they arent crazy, whiny or doing anything wrong.

cold steel should get off their rear and fix the issue and put an end to it. til then I'll keep crying.😄
:rolleyes: This problem is long standing , but if the old CS didn't fix it for whatever reason , I would save my tears: because GSM sure as heck doesn't care at all .:mad:

Which is really bad for long term sales of their more expensive knives / machete .

These sheathes are more acceptable on a knife that's basically still a good value , even if you replace the sheath (vs a custom priced knife that demands an excellent sheath to come with ) .

Along with poor or zero customer service /support , the future looks bleak for GSM higher end products .

I'm just PO'd because I hate seeing Cold Steel circling the bowl .

:rolleyes: This problem is long standing , but if the old CS didn't fix it for whatever reason , I would save my tears: because GSM sure as heck doesn't care at all .:mad:

Which is really bad for long term sales of their more expensive knives / machete .

These sheathes are more acceptable on a knife that's basically still a good value , even if you replace the sheath (vs a custom priced knife that demands an excellent sheath to come with ) .

Along with poor or zero customer service /support , the future looks bleak for GSM higher end products .

I'm just PO'd because I hate seeing Cold Steel circling the bowl .
appreciate that Doc. ^ well written above there....

plus I just like to cry about stuff....😁

Now can you do something about the pocket clips on the Griv- ex handled knives, never seen a more frustrating to deploy/ over tight pocket clip design ( that shreds pockets to boot ). Seriously what good is having a knife that sits so secure in the pocket it won't come out without a struggle? Kinda defeats the purpose of having a pocket clip at all.

Now can you do something about the pocket clips on the Griv- ex handled knives, never seen a more frustrating to deploy/ over tight pocket clip design ( that shreds pockets to boot ). Seriously what good is having a knife that sits so secure in the pocket it won't come out without a struggle? Kinda defeats the purpose of having a pocket clip at all.
I’d recommend standing next to a hip-high table and practicing turning the pages of MAD magazines to build up the finger strength needed to remove these behemoths from the pocket.

I'd rather it be too tight than too loose.

It takes very little effort to bend the clip if the factory tension or ramp needs adjusting for your preference.

I have had many Spyderco and Benchmade snag and get pulled out of my pocket, but rarely a Cold Steel.

It takes very little effort to bend the clip if the factory tension or ramp needs adjusting for your preference.

I have had many Spyderco and Benchmade snag and get pulled out of my pocket, but rarely a Cold St
I’d recommend standing next to a hip-high table and practicing turning the pages of MAD magazines to build up the finger strength needed to remove these behemoths from the pocket.
Are those Mad magazine pages made of depleted uranium?

I have had many Spyderco and Benchmade snag and get pulled out of my pocket, but rarely a Cold Steel.
I've never had a Cold Steel Griv-ex handled knife come out of my pocket because the designers made sure any kind of practical quick deployment was not something they thought a pocket clip was designed for.

Back