• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad An unfortunately horrible experience with True North Knives

Looks like there are a few negative reviews on Google and a BBB complaint all involving Neil the owner. He seems like he gets pretty worked up when people request refunds for whatever reason. It’s sort of hilarious how easily triggered he is.
FYI- BBB (only one filed against us in 30 years) complaint was ruled in my favor as it was totally frivolous as the buyer who is a convicted felon in California wanted me to send a few knives to her policeman boyfriend in New Mexico who apparently was in jail and not a police officer.

Always 3 sides to any story.

FYI- BBB (only one filed against us in 30 years) complaint was ruled in my favor as it was totally frivolous as the buyer who is a convicted felon in California wanted me to send a few knives to her policeman boyfriend in New Mexico who apparently was in jail and not a police officer.

It isn’t your job to vet out whether people can legally own knives. You’re not the FFL of the knife community. Who has time for all that?

Based on his latest replies, I wouldn't put my hopes up for a logical explaination. He's more of a crime vigilante than in the knife business.

I think he handled that well and explained himself completely 🙄

Whats the attitude for? What’s the problem with talking to people like human beings.

So if you flick knives and have more than one phone number connected to your name you’re out?

He sells knives but doesn’t sell them? They are stored somewhere else and shipped by someone else?

Embarrassing.

I don't think he was replying to the OP either, since the OP didn't have his order cancelled, his return was refused.
Correct. I've only ever used one phone number as well, which was the same phone number I left in my voicemail and in another separate email, and if I had to leave a phone number while ordering it would've been the same phone number... So his reply to King of the Cheese King of the Cheese is not related to my experience. Sure was hoping I'd get that call back or email back with an apology so that this can be put behind us, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Wow, I was just browsing their shop for an inkosi. Someone way back in the day (must've been 10 years ago at least) recommended them to me, I'm glad I found this thread as I was already a bit sceptical due to some google reviews.
Way to go Neil...like the initial poster said, thankfully there are a lot of dealers nowadays, no need to shop where you are treated like this.
I wouldn't want to imagine what happens when there is a real issue with a blade you bought there

To clear the record, I most certainly did cancel your order. The only reason I did that is because you used two different telephone numbers, both of which didn’t work and one of them was a forwarder in Miami and that telephone number on their website also goes nowhere.
He told me it wasn’t a problem and that you had 10 other dealers that had the same knife. Having said that if you wanna make a complaint, that’s perfectly fine and it’s your prerogative, but try telling the truth try telling the whole story and you may find other dealers that will be willing to ship to you, because I never will.

Jeebus dude, you are responding to people and situations that aren't involved with the topic of this thread. Thank you for confirming the bat shit crazy behavior the OP claims.

Last edited:
To clear the record, I most certainly did cancel your order. The only reason I did that is because you used two different telephone numbers, both of which didn’t work and one of them was a forwarder in Miami and that telephone number on their website also goes nowhere.
He told me it wasn’t a problem and that you had 10 other dealers that had the same knife. Having said that if you wanna make a complaint, that’s perfectly fine and it’s your prerogative, but try telling the truth try telling the whole story and you may find other dealers that will be willing to ship to you, because I never will.
You didn’t clear any record. You just confirmed what a lot of people have written about.

There’s counseling available that might help you, I urge you to seek it out.

The first time I dealt with Neil was 20 years ago, and it was quite apparent then it would also be my last time.

I see nothing has changed.

Think about this for a second Neil.... Do you know how many hundreds of knives I have purchased in the last 20 years????? And a good portion of them MAY have come from you, if you weren't such a dick the very first time we spoke.

Last edited:
What blows my mind is he’s been able to be in business for over 20 years, treating customers who spend hundreds of dollars on knives like this and that makers still send him knives and allow him to represent their product.

If he can treat me, a first-time customer who was nothing but respectful throughout our exchanges, like this, I best believe he can and does treat anyone who remotely says or does something he doesn’t like this way, clearly, from all the other complaints coming in. Truly unfortunate to see.

The first time I dealt with Neil was 20 years ago, and it was quite apparent then it would be also be my last time.

I see nothing has changed.

Think about this for a second Neil. Do you know how many hundreds of knives I have purchased in the last 20 years????? And a good portion of them MAY have come from you, if you weren't such a dick the very first time we spoke.

I guess they’ll let anyone open a knife business these days.. but if he’s drop shipping from somewhere else, what service does he provide? The website ain’t it.

Back