Attention Ask Ontario

Dan Maragni

If anyone has questions regarding Ontario Knife Company they are welcome to ask them on this thread. My own specialty is the technical aspects of knife production. I would be happy to answer questions about steels, heat treatment, blade grinding, handle materials, etc. but if you have any other questions outside of my specialty I can contact the pertinent people at Ontario for more information. I will certainly do my best to provide timely and accurate information.

I have a question regarding the RAT 1 folder that I just bought. Looking at the pivot area, it shows a white teflon washer on one side, and a bronze colored one on the other side. Seems odd to me.
Is it correct, and if so, why?
See picture:
CbE68IX.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Mr. Rouger- I didn't mean to imply that there is a difference between the 1075 steel that Ontario uses and "Standard" 1075. Most steels are made to a basic standard to control alloy content and cleanliness (which include both 1095 and 1075) but tool steels and specialty steels are manufactured to higher standards of both. These steels are usually melted by a variety of techniques and have tighter ranges of alloy content and tighter limits on impurities.

Mr. DavidZ- I will contact Ontario about the washers on the RAT 1 folder and get back to you.

Mr. Rouger- I didn't mean to imply that there is a difference between the 1075 steel that Ontario uses and "Standard" 1075. Most steels are made to a basic standard to control alloy content and cleanliness (which include both 1095 and 1075) but tool steels and specialty steels are manufactured to higher standards of both. These steels are usually melted by a variety of techniques and have tighter ranges of alloy content and tighter limits on impurities.

Mr. DavidZ- I will contact Ontario about the washers on the RAT 1 folder and get back to you.
Looking forward to hearing what they say.

That in itself is a very informative answer Mr. Maragni.

Mr. Roguer- I received an e-mail with your questions but cannot seem to find it on the thread. Here are some answers:

Is the SP-53 still 5160? No, it is now made from 1075, part of Ontario's steel consolidation.

Is the RD-6 just on rotation or has it been sunsetted? I believe it has been sunsetted but I will check with Ontario to make sure.

Cerebus discontinued? Yes.

Hi Dan
Just wondering if you got the answer to my question?
Dave

Mr. DavidZ- I am still waiting to hear from Ontario. I may have to contact our manufacturers in Taiwan which could take even more time. I will keep on it.

Mr. Boru13- Yes, I would like to make this thread into a sticky so it stays at the top of the page. Thanks.

Mr. DavidZ- I am still waiting to hear from Ontario. I may have to contact our manufacturers in Taiwan which could take even more time. I will keep on it.

Mr. Boru13- Yes, I would like to make this thread into a sticky so it stays at the top of the page. Thanks.
Thank you.

If anyone has questions regarding Ontario Knife Company they are welcome to ask them on this thread. My own specialty is the technical aspects of knife production. I would be happy to answer questions about steels, heat treatment, blade grinding, handle materials, etc. but if you have any other questions outside of my specialty I can contact the pertinent people at Ontario for more information. I will certainly do my best to provide timely and accurate information.
Dan I met you many years ago when you were working for Lynn. Few people in the knife world understand this stuff the way you do. It's good to see you here.:)

I've gotten interested in Bowies a decade too late to be able to get a hold of one of the OKC Bagwell models, or the old SP-18 Frontiersman Bowies. I'd love to get that kind of blade profile, and it would be great to have something from OKC to join the RAT I EDC and the Old Hickories I use all the time. Is there any chance of any of them going back in production, or something similar being introduced?

Thank you for offering this thread!

Mr. DavidZ- I heard back from Ontario today, the person I contacted was out for vacation, hence the delay in my response.

Lisa says- "Yes, this has become the new normal. One side has a thicker than usual Teflon washer and no brass washer and the other side has a thin Teflon washer along with the brass. We've had several questions on this. The thick Teflon washer is the same thickness as the brass and thin Teflon washer together."

So the washers on your knife are correct but, like you, I am still curious about why the manufacturers used two different washers and will contact them as soon as I get their contact information.

Back