Attention Ask Ontario

What is the hardness of the Rat2 in D2
It was never listed on Ontario's website. Only the AUS-8 models were listed. KnifeCenter lists the hardness at 62-64 HRC for the D2 version. That sounds s bit high to me.

t was never listed on Ontario's website. Only the AUS-8 models were listed. KnifeCenter lists the hardness at 62-64 HRC for the D2 version. That sounds s bit high to me.
That is why I am asking. Kifecenter seems way to high.

I personally don't trust D2 steel much, even when it's made by reputable manufacturers. There seems to be a lot of different steel mixtures out there, and companies just call them D2. AUS-8 and AUS-10 are pretty good stainless steels. My Cold Steel folders are all AUS-10A. They stay very sharp, and they're not difficult to resharpen.

That is why I am asking. Kifecenter seems way to high.
During the year that Ontario was being sold to Blue Ridge Knives, they put out a lot of products with very poor fit and finish. I don't know it I would trust knives sold during that period. Blue Ridge Knives has said they plan to revive the Ontario brand, and old designs. I believe they moved all the old equipment to VA, or they're in the process of moving it. It might be better to wait

Dan last posted in Aug. With the sale of Ontario he may no longer work for them.

Dan last posted in Aug. With the sale of Ontario he may no longer work for them.
Last I heard in September, Blue Ridge Knives plans to continue selling Ontario Knife designs. The article said they were actually getting more machines for the plant in NY. That was September, though. I couldn't find a more recent article. It's unclear if BRK plans to hire Dan Maragni as a consultant. If anyone has anymore recent news, I'd like to see it.

The reply to my email today to Blue Ridge Knives:

"Hello,

It is our plan to continue making all of the Ontario items. We are still in the early stages and should know more in the months to come. We are still trying to source a US factory to have them made in. I know that is not such a good answer, but for right now that’s all I can give. Thank you for checking with us

BRK, Inc"

Hopefully Blue Ridge Knives will make good on their promises. I really hope Ontario designed knives, continued to be manufactured in the US.

That is good to hear, but the last few years have been very disappointing for American manufacturing.

Malco bought the old Peterson vise grip factory in DeWitt Nebraska and for 1 year they made their eagle grip locking pliers which were the finest quality to ever be made, sadly at $45 a pair they were too expensive and the factory didn't make it ( Snapon bought the tooling, but pricing from Snapon is double)
S•K and Shopvac sold to the same Chinese conglomerate who ended up consolidating both into one factory.
So far they've introduced a bunch of worthless Chinese S•K tools and continued a limited lineup of some of the tools here, but without USA on them it's dubious.
Shopvac hardly made anything here anymore, and I believe they at least kept that minor production about the same.

Then S-B&D finally got the new Craftsman factory running in Ft Worth Texas but could only do a small run of tools before they had to close.
They only forged ratchet bodies ( Taiwanese mechanisms ) and sockets with everything else in the sets including the extensions being imported, at least what they did make was American steel.

Milwaukee seems to be doing okay for now with their new high quality line of American made screwdrivers and pliers so I am hopeful there at least, so I'm a bit hopeful that good things can happen.

I really hope Blueridge does right by OKC, but I'm not holding my breath because I've been disappointed by too many empty promises the past few years.
We're loosing too much American manufacturing and it's heartbreaking.

Mr. bramley02- Mr. Boru13 is correct, all the 5160 blades made by Ontario had the steel designation laser etched on the blade. The blade of your Woodsman is 420SS with the minimum carbon content of the steel specified by me to assure a blade which is flexible not malleable (I have seen many 420 blades with insufficient carbon content which will
Thanks for the info Dan. Is the 420SS mean that it's 420HC or 420J or something else?

Its an OKC 420 HC variant I think. The ones I have seem pretty tough for what they are. They ain't 5160 like one I have, but they are tough enough for general large knife use. One frozen hunk if jack pine, that won, it even won against an SP-51, but the Woodsman still was straight and sharp as it began.

I gave them to a few relatives thinking they would use them for a camp/rv knife but all went to kitchen and large critter cutting/processing season. Tough and their favorite butcher blades that NO ONE ever uses them. I use my last SS Woodsman for camp cook knife now along with my RAT 6s.

Hello I have a rat 2 I'm trying to maintain. The pivet screw ( back side smooth) keeps spinning. How do I prevent this or how and where can I get a replacement that is both sided torx head.

Its an OKC 420 HC variant I think. The ones I have seem pretty tough for what they are. They ain't 5160 like one I have, but they are tough enough for general large knife use. One frozen hunk if jack pine, that won, it even won against an SP-51, but the Woodsman still was straight and sharp as it began.

I gave them to a few relatives thinking they would use them for a camp/rv knife but all went to kitchen and large critter cutting/processing season. Tough and their favorite butcher blades that NO ONE ever uses them. I use my last SS Woodsman for camp cook knife now along with my RAT 6s.
So, Ontario RTAK-II, or 420HC Ontario Bushcraft Woodsman? From what you said, I'm inclined to buy the 420HC Bushcraft Woodsman. People make fun of 420HC. But, when it's heat treated properly, it's a good steel. I'm frankly shocked that 5160 failed, and 420HC didn't. I'd much prefer a "mostly" stainless steel large survival knife in my bugout bag, as opposed to a 5160 (or 1075) blade, that I know will rust without oiling every 3 months.

Well both failed, the SP-51 and the 420 HC (OKC's special type I believe), splitting on that frozen knotty jack pine log. My point was even the Woodsman blade was sharp, edge was fine and was perfectly straight. SP-51 was fine as usual.

For heavy use blade I prefer saber grinds. The SP-51 or SP-53 is my primary in the woods blade. The 5160 knives what I put them through some times like bending it as it goes back made some people cringe.

But being a copied SP-50 that is FULL TANG, the Woodsman is a good general purpose knife with no coating, the 5160 or the 420 HC. The FFG is some thing that needs some lighter duties to me. For food processing, to light to medium duty the Woodsman I use as it is a non coated knife. I like the 420 HC Woodsman for water borne misadventures. I usually athletic tape the handles on it though, the handle gets slippery when wet.

As can be seen as the SP-50/Woodsman Design is a just a large kitchen butcher knife descendant. The 420 HC gets used for large critter cutting season in my evil step mother's hands (Hey its TRADITION to call them evil!) and is her favorite butcher knife. She stole it from my dad, as I gave it to him for a birth day present, and keeps it locked in her office so a few of her daughters don't steal the steel. She "Borrowed" the first one when I gave one to my little brother who also used it for cooking and field use, when he moved out he stole it back. I gave them the Woodsman not to get rid of them, but I knew they could get more use out of them, so I gave them the ones I normally got as back ups. I still got my 5160 and 420 HC ones though, as they get use during large critter cutting season.

Back