Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

I've got some tapping fluid.
Drilling through 64-66?? eek!
I'm a big drill-first-or-don't-bother kinda guy.

Yeah, if I can't drill, I do a deep diagonal scratch pattern with 36 or 60 grit and pray the epoxy holds. If hidden tang, might use a copper pipe cap as a bolster to wrap around the scales.

if I'm doing a hidden tang with no pin, I'll use a chainsaw file to put some shallow grooves across the corners of the tang. Then epoxy grabs onto it like fingers of the sarlac.

For scales, I almost always drill/countersink/ream the blade tank when it's soft. Then I transfer the pattern to the scales by drilling them with the blade on top as the pattern, pinning the blade to the scale material with each hole to keep them aligned. Of course this works best with flat, parallel scale material. Then assemble it all after HT. If I'm forced to drill a hard blade, I'll temper the drill spot with a plumber's torch.

Lets see lately...moved the Dogwood Firefly clear resin and green glow stones to the BK 72 and the nice pretty handles of the BK72 to my standard BK2. That's about all I trust myself to do with out proper tools. Both look real purdy. The Sun Powered handles even made some one spot me and find the trail recently. Thinking of moving the blue resin and green glow stones to the BK4 or one of the BK9s, but the BK5 gets used during large critter cutting seasons and the manual labor some times left it out where the glow stones told me where it was.

Lets see lately...moved the Dogwood Firefly clear resin and green glow stones to the BK 72 and the nice pretty handles of the BK72 to my standard BK2. That's about all I trust myself to do with out proper tools. Both look real purdy. The Sun Powered handles even made some one spot me and find the trail recently. Thinking of moving the blue resin and green glow stones to the BK4 or one of the BK9s, but the BK5 gets used during large critter cutting seasons and the manual labor some times left it out where the glow stones told me where it was.

I love the blue ones. They glow when Orcs are near.

Do you guys use carbide masonry bits for drilling hard steel? I have used them many times on stuff hard enough that standard drill bits have trouble with

Do you guys use carbide masonry bits for drilling hard steel? I have used them many times on stuff hard enough that standard drill bits have trouble with
I use the Hercules Impact rated Hex Shank Titanium bits you can get from Harbor Freight. They aren't too expensive and do a pretty good job going through the 80crv2/1095/1070 that I mostly use.

I imagine some nicer ones would probably work the same just hold up better in long term usage

yes. either a new masonry bit or a glass drilling bit.

yes. either a new masonry bit or a glass drilling bit.
My only issue with those is the tip sometimes isn't great at starting the drilling. Iv had to use a punch first when using the Bosch masonry bits. Perhaps that was just the set I had, as it was rounded at the tip.

Yeah... I just don't drill hardened steel.
And even if sorta maybe every once in awhile necessary, temper the spot w/ a torch because the tang should be softer anyway, especially with a hidden tang.

Heatin' and Squeezin' today.
All those holes in those two magnacut knives at the bottom? DEFINITELY drilled pre-heat:

IMG_20230923_173616_HDR-small.jpg

My only issue with those is the tip sometimes isn't great at starting the drilling. Iv had to use a punch first when using the Bosch masonry bits. Perhaps that was just the set I had, as it was rounded at the tip.

Sometimes I'll have to clean up/dress the drill bit tips some first
I've been making a bunch of knives out of sawblades that are crazy Hard.
64-66HRC I've been pretty good at drilling them.

IMG_1868.jpegIMG_1869.jpeg
I have been dealing with some health issues lately so I haven’t been taking on many custom orders. Perfect time to make a new knife for myself, something I rarely have time to do nowadays. Anyone who knows me knows that I love big blades, so using my old BK9 as inspiration I decided to make kind of a mutant version lol.
This bad boy is 17 inches long, 1/4 inch thick 5160 with a full convex grind, no swedge and an added finger choil. Still got plenty of sanding etc to make it pretty, but you get the idea 😈😈

Back