Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

View attachment 2344536View attachment 2344537
I have been dealing with some health issues lately so I haven’t been taking on many custom orders. Perfect time to make a new knife for myself, something I rarely have time to do nowadays. Anyone who knows me knows that I love big blades, so using my old BK9 as inspiration I decided to make kind of a mutant version lol.
This bad boy is 17 inches long, 1/4 inch thick 5160 with a full convex grind, no swedge and an added finger choil. Still got plenty of sanding etc to make it pretty, but you get the idea 😈😈

YOU'VE MADE A BEAST-K2!!
Well done.

View attachment 2344536View attachment 2344537
I have been dealing with some health issues lately so I haven’t been taking on many custom orders. Perfect time to make a new knife for myself, something I rarely have time to do nowadays. Anyone who knows me knows that I love big blades, so using my old BK9 as inspiration I decided to make kind of a mutant version lol.
This bad boy is 17 inches long, 1/4 inch thick 5160 with a full convex grind, no swedge and an added finger choil. Still got plenty of sanding etc to make it pretty, but you get the idea 😈😈
Sick!

Haha. Great name 😈😈

I don't recall who coined that term, but I think Dubz had a pretty good rendering of one, and you've come very close to that (straighter clip, FFG vs. saber, add choil).

Today I was literally watching epoxy harden and decided to play with some Becker scales and steel😎 I matched a Kopis style blade and BK&T scales for this beauty! It’s 17in overall with an 11 9/16in blade(tip to scale). I used 1/4in 5160 stock. I gave it a cold blued finish. I’m pretty happy with it 😊

IMG_4037.jpeg

Today I was literally watching epoxy harden and decided to play with some Becker scales and steel😎 I matched a Kopis style blade and BK&T scales for this beauty! It’s 17in overall with an 11 9/16in blade(tip to scale). I used 1/4in 5160 stock. I gave it a cold blued finish. I’m pretty happy with it 😊

View attachment 2345569

YAAASSSSS!!!!

Great minds think alike......

I started this awhile ago, but it was larger and more awkward then. I took a vacation day today, but I'm hiding in the basement.

I got tired of knowing the BK5 was close to perfect it's probably my favorite Becker.... now, My version is choil-less, no false edge, and better still it's AEB-L

Great minds think alike......

I started this awhile ago, but it was larger and more awkward then. I took a vacation day today, but I'm hiding in the basement.

I got tired of knowing the BK5 was close to perfect it's probably my favorite Becker.... now, My version is choil-less, no false edge, and better still it's AEB-L

Not quite done, but I'm roughed in.....
Still have to adjust my handle profile,
bring down my bevels (I'm .020" - .030" BTE)
id like to go thinner.... and then sharpen.

I'm pretty slow, this might become a fondling knife, staying on the end table for a bit, before it gets done.

So far with my limited handling, I'm in Love.

Just finished this Magnacut paring knife tonight in time for next weekend's show. One more piece to try to get done before setup on Friday.

IMG_20231006_194544_HDR-small.jpg

Just finished this Magnacut paring knife tonight in time for next weekend's show. One more piece to try to get done before setup on Friday.

That's something I still have to work out, I haven't done a pairing knife yet.
I've got a couple small kitchen utility knives coming up, but Actual pairing knives, I wouldn't know what to do?

That's something I still have to work out, I haven't done a pairing knife yet.
I've got a couple small kitchen utility knives coming up, but Actual pairing knives, I wouldn't know what to do?

My advice on paring knives is:
THIN and don't make the blade too tall either. It should pass through material easily and be reasonably easy to steer while cutting. 0.093"-0.100" thick stock to start. 0.110" is too much. 0.125" is a B&T and sucks as a paring knife. Since the blade isn't very tall, it becomes very wedge-like in a hurry as you get thicker. Grind thin behind the edge too. 1/16" stock CAN work, but it's a challenge to grind something so thin. That said I have a fantastic fruit knife ("kitchen kwaiken") in 1/16" AEB-L that I've used every morning for about 8 years.

They're very satisfying to make because you can use them every day (and so can customers!). Super accessible knife that most people need. On the other hand, it's hard to get someone to pay a worthwhile price for the smallest knife in the block.

Back