Best blade type for EDC?

Ptman2000

Gold Member
Just picked up my first Hinderer at Blade this year. And now I'm thinking of picking up another. Maybe a 3" for EDC. I've seen a lot of different blade types possible on Hinderers. Spear, slicer, etc. my question is this. What's the best for EDC?

Just picked up my first Hinderer at Blade this year. And now I'm thinking of picking up another. Maybe a 3" for EDC. I've seen a lot of different blade types possible on Hinderers. Spear, slicer, etc. my question is this. What's the best for EDC?

I think that depends on what you intend to use it for. Me, myself, prefer a 3 to 3.5 slicer type of blade. Others may be using there knife for heavier chores.

Yep...it's an individual decision. Btw...I carry several each day and different ones along said day...it's all in what's right for you. Many choose 3.5 Spantos while others love Slicers, etc. and some want their EDC to be the little 3"er.

I could carry any size XM and any blade shape, the 3" Wharnie is my EDC choice because I like the blade shape, it is extremely functional for my uses/needs and it has a significant self defense advantage if ever needed.

I have to fully agree with RDA. The 3" Wharncliffe is amazing.

I have found that owning (and carrying) different size and blade shape Hinderers results in different EDC choices based on; Season/Wardrobe norm, Mission, Where I'm going and Mood.

Right now (Summer) is shorts weather for me and it's 3" Slicer. Jeans weather it's 3.5" and blade shape is mission and mood (spanto, slicer, skinner, wharnie, and spearpoint - usually :))

I must be "moody" :)

I work in construction and switch between a slicer and spanto XM24, mainly on mood. No matter your choice, I believe we all picked one of, if not the best knife company out there.

For me its the the 3.5" spearpoint, but they're all fantastic and have their place depending on the situation.

I've switched to the bowie for 3.5" preferred carry. Great all around blade to me, slices well, and has a serious point if I need that. For 3", I prefer a clicer.

I've switched to the bowie for 3.5" preferred carry. Great all around blade to me, slices well, and has a serious point if I need that. For 3", I prefer a clicer.

That Rick, He's always coming up with new blade designs :)

"clicer" look a bit like dicer and the Slicer grind is a dicer. As are all of the grinds as long as you keep them sharp. :cool:

A 3" seems much more difficult to find. Not many seem to come across the for sale page. I like the CR Insigno so the Wharncliffe may be a good choice. I work in healthcare so a 3" blade doesn't come across as too much.

Yes, they even have smaller font when they're listed on the Exchange. ;)

For EDC, 3" Slicer is my choice. Love the way that knife feels especially without the clip which is preferred now for me. Really melts into my hand.

Any 3" blade is great. Of course the next new blade style released is even better :)

Call me conservative, I like slicer or a spearpoint on a 3" and spanto on 3.5 or 4" :)

I think you get the best of all worlds with the 3" Wharncliffe. Great blade shape for self defense & for peeling oranges and opening boxes if you choose.

Back