Photos Choppers

I just made a stupid mistake I already regret: I ordered a Skrama 240 without a sheath. I just didn't want to pay an extra $50, that's half the price of the knife! I had a couple of old sheaths that would fit, and they did, but not completely: because of the "reverse" blade geometry, I have either to insert it turning the handle over in my hand, or to have about half an inch of the blade exposed. I thought it would fit better.
Any mistake you can walk away from, hopefully with all body parts intact, is called a life lesson. We humans learn a lot more from our mistakes and failures than we ever do from our successes and wins.
I just want a real Skrama sheath, and I'm going to order it from Finland. I'm going to lose another ~$12 for shipping and $30+ for customs clearance; so I'll pay an extra 40 or 50 dollars I would have saved if I ordered a sheath together with my knife! Stupid, stupid! Losing money due to my own stupidity! 😭

Mistake corrected

8m5X41g.png

e6XqaXX.png

CPK Behemoth chopper and a work tuff gear pathfinder View attachment 2548666View attachment 2548665

I see that you've been showing that Pathfinder some love. How do you like it?

Mine is still sitting in the box. When I held it for the first time, I was like, "What the hell am I supposed to do with this thing?!?" Good grief, it's GINORMOUS.

I don't know if you've seen the Mountain Man yet, but that thing is ridonkulous too. I'll need a straight six months of CrossFit before I can even swing the thing. (*I think I'll just stick with my "little" Kodiak or El Chete)

I see that you've been showing that Pathfinder some love. How do you like it?

Mine is still sitting in the box. When I held it for the first time, I was like, "What the hell am I supposed to do with this thing?!?" Good grief, it's GINORMOUS.

I don't know if you've seen the Mountain Man yet, but that thing is ridonkulous too. I'll need a straight six months of CrossFit before I can even swing the thing. (*I think I'll just stick with my "little" Kodiak or El Chete)
The pathfinder is surprisingly nimble. I like it. It's pretty well suited for a variety of jobs. The knife is good at chopping or de-limbing branches and it's thin enough to slice well. It could be used as a camp cook knife easily enough, while still being able to process firewood. It does have some downsides though.

Elaborate explanation in spoiler below
However, I feel like the blade height (distance from edge to spine) is a blessing and a curse. This height is what allows the blade to thin out as you approach the cutting edge, which is what makes it a good slicer. The tradeoff is that this reduces its durability as a chopper. Additionally, all that height can cause the knife to attempt to rotate in hand if you're not coming down square when you chop.

The only situation that would cause significant concern for me would be batoning/chopping through wood that might contain nails, rocks, or other hardened debris. Hitting something that's hard enough could cause damage that reaches the primary grind more easily than on a thicker knife. I'm not convinced a knot in a log would cause this though.

I also think the scales on the pathfinder aren't exactly practical. There's a portion on the rearward side of the handle where the scales are deliberately recessed away from the spine. I know tge designer said he did this so that you can slide your thumb off the spine, into the recess, to allow you to push into a cut. I find this to be wishful thinking that doesn't add function in practical use; it's a solution looking for a problem that detracts from the erhonomics and overall design. This is especially true because the exposed spine of the knife is a sharp 90 degrees.

The behemoth chopper, on the other hand, is better balanced with superior ergonomics and I'd trust it with heavier duty tasks. It's not quite as good at slicing, but it performs better than you'd expect. It's better at chopping and you'd be hard pressed to cause any significant damage to the knife without doing something stupid. I didn't say abusive, I said stupid. You could abuse the knife and it will be relatively fine.

If I had to chop down a tree, demolish a door/furniture, hack through bone/antler, or use a knife as a prybar, I'd trust the behemoth chopper over the pathfinder.

Last edited:
I don't consider 3Cr to be cutlery steel any more than I do 420J2. Hot garbage. Only real strength is it's cheap.

Back