Fixed blades

Hey everyone. How do you tie a lanyard if the hole is in front of the handle? I've tried it couple times but didn't find it comfortable. Some say it helps in chopping.

I keep finding these things laying around my shop…
View attachment 2569991
I like that the edge is dropped below the flat of the ricasso on this one, allowing it to reach the cutting board without obstruction if used in the kitchen. That bit of extension also facilitates sharpening.

I find diagonal front-leaning plunge lines attractive, like well designed racing stripes on exotic cars that just ooze performance. Wish more bladesmiths used that style of plunge cut, as a personal preference. It's a prejudice born no doubt from my liking of kitchen bladeware where the edge extends all the way to the heel of the blade.

Last edited:
This is for my Brothers in the Blade Forums "Peanut Gallery"...Roland, Damien, and Kyle.

Us mere mortals can't match their collections; We can only hope to compete.

My "mini" Big Bore Tusker, in Z-Tuff...

I’ve had a few Gossman’s - the One I had in ZTuff was probably my favorite. If for any reason you ever decide to part with that beauty - please let me know !! Nice piece !!

Hey everyone. How do you tie a lanyard if the hole is in front of the handle? I've tried it couple times but didn't find it comfortable. Some say it helps in chopping.

Takes a little getting used to, it’s actually more effective than I thought. I feel like I have a little more control over the blade if I’m hitting really hard with it.

I like that the edge is dropped below the flat of the ricasso on this one, allowing it to reach the cutting board without obstruction if used in the kitchen. That bit of extension also facilitates sharpening.

I find diagonal front-leaning plunge lines attractive, like well designed racing strips on exotic cars that just ooze performance. Wish more bladesmiths used that style of plunge cut, as a personal preference. It's a prejudice born no doubt from my liking of kitchen bladeware where the edge extends all the was to the heel of the blade.
It originally had a more standard sharpening choil but at some point I put a deep gouge in the bottom of the ricasso. I don’t know how it got there but the only way to get rid of it was to grind that part off. I’d made a smaller knife with a similar profile before and liked the way it turned out so I felt comfortable doing it on this one.

I like angled plunge lines too. They might add a little more difficulty than a vertical plunge but I think it’s worth it. I don’t know if this makes any sense but I’ve been trying to make a few profiles that look like they’re “leaning forward” this year.

IMG-20240513-205930031.jpg

Here's what I've come with. I made it a bit long so I think it will be better for chopping, which is what I want it to be for. Can't say anymore because I haven't tried it yet XD

Here's what I've come with. I made it a bit long so I think it will be better for chopping, which is what I want it to be for. Can't say anymore because I haven't tried it yet XD
If you decide to let it go, let me know 😁

Back