Has Victorinox "lost their way"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then, when someone like Leatherman puts a magnacut blade in a multi tool, we get the "How dare they charge so much?" crowd.

Doesn't matter what any of these companies do, it's gonna be wrong to somebody.
Yup, and the longer I'm alive, the more I appreciate Victorinox's choices.
Stay the course, be approachable, earn consumer confidence.

The loyalty Victorinox has was earned through dependability and accessibility.

You didn't watch the video. Not even the first couple of seconds.
In AL's defense, Jon Gadget purposefully made a click-bait title and thumbnail to garner views.
Then he gets 60,000 views, and about 1000 comments, and treats it like it's a surprise.

I have a very strong gut reaction to write that kind of stuff off, because it's disingenuous.

Nothing's happened to Victorinox. They're still doing what they've always done and they branch out occasionally.

I haven’t watched the video yet but have watched several of his in the past, even made some purchases of a few items he profiled. I’m a fan of the Victorinox SAK’s just the way they are. I do wish they’d make some past models but that’s only because I missed the boat when they did. Instead of discontinuing a bunch of their 84mm knives I wish they’d increase production and add some new models. In a 2 layer I actually prefer 84mm for pocket carry. But I’m just one lone consumer so I know in the end they go with what the numbers tell them. Regarding marketing strategies, it’s a weird new world we live in with social media and the ability to track people’s internet searches. In just the last 30 years look at all the new gizmo knives and tools that have been introduced. I couldn’t even imagine trying to market a design that is decades old to try and keep up with the newest, shiny gizmo that we get distracted by.

They can’t offer a premium performance blade option, but they still market package carrying hooks, cuticle pushers, fish scalers, Damascus blades etc.
Package carry hooks are still used for that purpose in places where say, the butcher shop still wraps the meat in waxed paper tied with string, or even clothing and other shops that wrap and tie purchases.
Perhaps not in North America anymore, but still a "necessary" tool in many areas for its named purpose.
Did you know? The "package hook" when used in conjunction with the split ring securely holds a "T" shank jigsaw blade, giving you the ability to use a saw blade suitable for things the standard SAK saw can't cut? Copper or steel pipe, or sheet metal, for example.
Like the corkscrew, the "package hook" has more than one use.
I knew a dove and Quail hunter (no, not Dan Quail nor any of his kin) who used the "package hook" to quickly gut his harvest.

Cutical pushers? Why not? The popular CADET (among others) have a fingernail file. Some executives may use both the cutical pusher and fingernail file on their Mini Champ regularly.

Fish scalers?
While you may not fish for sport or substanance, more than half the world's population does.
A lot of people around the world also hunt large and small game to put food "on the table". (they may or may not reside where tables - or even chairs - are common) So have use for the blades designed for field dressing their soon to be meal.

Just because a particular blade currently has little use for your activities, or in the US, does NOT mean it is of limited to no use to everyone elsewhere.

Every blade/tool Victorinox supplies on the various models sell and are regularly used somewhere that model is sold.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them phase out the 84s completely.
🥺😭
You may be correct, considering a 84 Evo Grip is roughly twice what a comparable 92/93mm goes for. ☹️

I wonder if Victorinox prices the 84's higher to discourage buyers because the 84's were/are a Wenger, not Victorinox, design?

I haven’t watched the video yet but have watched several of his in the past, even made some purchases of a few items he profiled. I’m a fan of the Victorinox SAK’s just the way they are. I do wish they’d make some past models but that’s only because I missed the boat when they did. Instead of discontinuing a bunch of their 84mm knives I wish they’d increase production and add some new models. In a 2 layer I actually prefer 84mm for pocket carry. But I’m just one lone consumer so I know in the end they go with what the numbers tell them. Regarding marketing strategies, it’s a weird new world we live in with social media and the ability to track people’s internet searches. In just the last 30 years look at all the new gizmo knives and tools that have been introduced. I couldn’t even imagine trying to market a design that is decades old to try and keep up with the newest, shiny gizmo that we get distracted by.

This :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You'd better believe that Victorinox keeps their finger on the pulse of the market. By that, I mean the world market, not just some super fans on a website. I'm sure that Victorinox has a department and personal that their sole job is keeping track of sales figures to a fraction of a percent. "They" know for sure what is selling and what is not, way better than some aficionado's on a blade fan boy cult worship site.

Markets change, things come and go. I wish that Volkswagen still made the 1966 Beetle that I loved so much that I drove it for decades. But then that would have been the demise of Volkswagen, because the great little Beatle couldn't compete with the cars coming out of Toyota and Datsun then later, Honda. Due to completion and change, awe have way WAY better cars now that make the Beatle so out of date that it isn't even funny. I drove my Beatle because I was a die hard fan boy of the old air cooled bug, not because it was a great car. I just loved it. But for Volkswagen to continue to make and sell them in a highly competitive market would have been the death of the whole company. The more advanced cars from the Japanese would have killed them. They had to change, just like Victorinox has to change a bit to stay in the market. No, we all can't have a SAK made to our dreams and visions. Victorinox has to survive to her competitive. And beware of some YouTube guy who makes money off the videos.

Get over ourselves.

They make 10 million knives a year.
Sounds like they know what they’re doing.
So they shouldn’t shoot for 20,000,000? Shouldn’t listen to customer suggestions? Stick with the Beanie Baby scale varieties. Why improve your product if the current stuff is selling? Go after the coffee mug sharpening crowd. They sell Titanium watches. Why no Titanium scales? They sell Damascus blades. Why no premium steel blades?

Package carry hooks are still used for that purpose in places where say, the butcher shop still wraps the meat in waxed paper tied with string, or even clothing and other shops that wrap and tie purchases.
Perhaps not in North America anymore, but still a "necessary" tool in many areas for its named purpose.
Did you know? The "package hook" when used in conjunction with the split ring securely holds a "T" shank jigsaw blade, giving you the ability to use a saw blade suitable for things the standard SAK saw can't cut? Copper or steel pipe, or sheet metal, for example.
Like the corkscrew, the "package hook" has more than one use.
I knew a dove and Quail hunter (no, not Dan Quail nor any of his kin) who used the "package hook" to quickly gut his harvest.

Cutical pushers? Why not? The popular CADET (among others) have a fingernail file. Some executives may use both the cutical pusher and fingernail file on their Mini Champ regularly.

Fish scalers?
While you may not fish for sport or substanance, more than half the world's population does.
A lot of people around the world also hunt large and small game to put food "on the table". (they may or may not reside where tables - or even chairs - are common) So have use for the blades designed for field dressing their soon to be meal.

Just because a particular blade currently has little use for your activities, or in the US, does NOT mean it is of limited to no use to everyone elsewhere.

Every blade/tool Victorinox supplies on the various models sell and are regularly used somewhere that model is sold.

🥺😭
You may be correct, considering a 84 Evo Grip is roughly twice what a comparable 92/93mm goes for. ☹️

I wonder if Victorinox prices the 84's higher to discourage buyers because the 84's were/are a Wenger, not Victorinox, design?
So forget about the blades you do want and carry the blades that you don’t.

This :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You'd better believe that Victorinox keeps their finger on the pulse of the market. By that, I mean the world market, not just some super fans on a website. I'm sure that Victorinox has a department and personal that their sole job is keeping track of sales figures to a fraction of a percent. "They" know for sure what is selling and what is not, way better than some aficionado's on a blade fan boy cult worship site.

Markets change, things come and go. I wish that Volkswagen still made the 1966 Beetle that I loved so much that I drove it for decades. But then that would have been the demise of Volkswagen, because the great little Beatle couldn't compete with the cars coming out of Toyota and Datsun then later, Honda. Due to completion and change, awe have way WAY better cars now that make the Beatle so out of date that it isn't even funny. I drove my Beatle because I was a die hard fan boy of the old air cooled bug, not because it was a great car. I just loved it. But for Volkswagen to continue to make and sell them in a highly competitive market would have been the death of the whole company. The more advanced cars from the Japanese would have killed them. They had to change, just like Victorinox has to change a bit to stay in the market. No, we all can't have a SAK made to our dreams and visions. Victorinox has to survive to her competitive. And beware of some YouTube guy who makes money off the videos.

Get over ourselves.
Don’t worry, Victorinox is doing plenty to keep the past alive.

11111338_1427070490929301_1619770152_n.jpg

I didn't watch the video & have no intention of doing so as YouTube opinions are like A holes...........
😄

But that knife with the blade, scissors & two screwdrivers I'd buy in a flash.
👍

So they shouldn’t shoot for 20,000,000? Shouldn’t listen to customer suggestions? Stick with the Beanie Baby scale varieties. Why improve your product if the current stuff is selling? Go after the coffee mug sharpening crowd. They sell Titanium watches. Why no Titanium scales? They sell Damascus blades. Why no premium steel blades?
Because I think you'd be kidding yourself if premium steel would double their knife output from 10 million to 20 million. I would guess they'd be lucky to sell 10,000 premium steel knives in the 200-300 dollar category, and then there'd be just more moaning that so-n-so didn't get their tourist model with premium steel. 10,000 would be 0.1% of number of knives they make. Not to mention, knives at that price point are in direct competition with high caliber knives in super steels from other companies.

Not to mention the challenges it would pose for things like their grinding machines and possibly a need for new tooling.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

...I wonder if Victorinox prices the 84's higher to discourage buyers because the 84's were/are a Wenger, not Victorinox, design?
I don't think the Cadet or Recruit are Wenger designs, and both are 84mm. IIRC the Wengers closest in size are actually 85mm, but I've almost no experience with Wenger designs other than a RangerGrip 78 I didn't keep for very long (although I consider their lock release better for right-handed people than the OHT).

So forget about the blades you do want and carry the blades that you don’t.
???
y forget the blades you regularly use?
If those you don't use biggyah that much, and you "think" they add noticable weight, open those you don't use, then with a cut-off abrasive wheel in your Dremel, cut them off at the tang, even with or slightly short of the scales, so you can close the blade stub.

Easier and faster than taking it apart and reassembling (which you may or may not have the tools and/or skills to do) after removing the unwanted tool layer(s).

OR just "forget" and/or ignore the tool(s) you haven't needed ... yet ....

About the only quote-unquote "worthless" blade I've found on any of my SAK's is the "dedicated" "Package Opener".
WHY??? What's the POINT?!? 🤯🤯😳😳🤨 The daRn main and the pen blade (if applicable to the model) works great to open packages and hang packs!!!
Will I ever use the package opener? Probably not. Does it "bother" me it is there so much that I "want" or "need" to eliminate it? Nope.
I rarely - if ever - use the knife blade(s) on my SAK's (or 4 blade Scout Knives). I always have at least two multi-blade slipjoints on me.
Do I have any inclination to delete the standard spear point and if applicable pen blade? Not in the least.

The blades I don't use more than 1 or 2 times a year or longer, probably weigh less than a few grams ... combined. Why should I worry about having them along for the ride? They ain't hurting anyone or anything by being there, and any "weight savings" to be gaing isn't woth the cost - or effort - to delete them.

I'll stick with the standard SAK's. Do they potentally have blades and features I may not use?
Yep. It is possible. So what? So do cars. I detest A/C on/in my cars. I NEVER turned it on, if the car I had*** was equipped and it actually worked.
I don't want power windows. Does anyone MAKE a car or light truck with manual windows (and without A/C) or even have the option to delete those features when the vehicle is ordered?
I prefer a manual transmission over an automatic. A manual gives more control, and, if the driver knows how to drive a manual transmission, shifts up AND down smoother than any automatic ever made.

***I went "car free" by choice in 1996. I decided gas ($1.399 a gallon unleaded regular) registration, insurance (ticket and accident free record), maintenance, parking, and everything else "cost too much".
I sold the two cars and van I had, bought a used Mountain Bike (1984 Fiji Mt. Fuji, stolen when I "lived" in the Florida Keys, along with a couple other of my bicycles), and never looked back.
If /When I needed a vehicle, it was for work, so I used a company vehicle, or a U-HAUL rented by the company for that task.

Aloha. I'm out of the conversation.

Because I think you'd be kidding yourself if premium steel would double their knife output from 10 million to 20 million. I would guess they'd be lucky to sell 10,000 premium steel knives in the 200-300 dollar category, and then there'd be just more moaning that so-n-so didn't get their tourist model with premium steel. 10,000 would be 0.1% of number of knives they make. Not to mention, knives at that price point are in direct competition with high caliber knives in super steels from other companies.

Not to mention the challenges it would pose for things like their grinding machines and possibly a need for new tooling.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I thought there might be some innovations that could increase sales. Premium steel blades don’t add 100’s of dollars to the sticker price especially smaller blades as found on SAK’s. I don’t worry about the Swiss rising to manufacturing challenges. They even make Tourbillon Chronometers.

???
y forget the blades you regularly use?
If those you don't use biggyah that much, and you "think" they add noticable weight, open those you don't use, then with a cut-off abrasive wheel in your Dremel, cut them off at the tang, even with or slightly short of the scales, so you can close the blade stub.

Easier and faster than taking it apart and reassembling (which you may or may not have the tools and/or skills to do) after removing the unwanted tool layer(s).

OR just "forget" and/or ignore the tool(s) you haven't needed ... yet ....

About the only quote-unquote "worthless" blade I've found on any of my SAK's is the "dedicated" "Package Opener".
WHY??? What's the POINT?!? 🤯🤯😳😳🤨 The daRn main and the pen blade (if applicable to the model) works great to open packages and hang packs!!!
Will I ever use the package opener? Probably not. Does it "bother" me it is there so much that I "want" or "need" to eliminate it? Nope.
I rarely - if ever - use the knife blade(s) on my SAK's (or 4 blade Scout Knives). I always have at least two multi-blade slipjoints on me.
Do I have any inclination to delete the standard spear point and if applicable pen blade? Not in the least.

The blades I don't use more than 1 or 2 times a year or longer, probably weigh less than a few grams ... combined. Why should I worry about having them along for the ride? They ain't hurting anyone or anything by being there, and any "weight savings" to be gaing isn't woth the cost - or effort - to delete them.

I'll stick with the standard SAK's. Do they potentally have blades and features I may not use?
Yep. It is possible. So what? So do cars. I detest A/C on/in my cars. I NEVER turned it on, if the car I had*** was equipped and it actually worked.
I don't want power windows. Does anyone MAKE a car or light truck with manual windows (and without A/C) or even have the option to delete those features when the vehicle is ordered?
I prefer a manual transmission over an automatic. A manual gives more control, and, if the driver knows how to drive a manual transmission, shifts up AND down smoother than any automatic ever made.

***I went "car free" by choice in 1996. I decided gas ($1.399 a gallon unleaded regular) registration, insurance (ticket and accident free record), maintenance, parking, and everything else "cost too much".
I sold the two cars and van I had, bought a used Mountain Bike (1984 Fiji Mt. Fuji, stolen when I "lived" in the Florida Keys, along with a couple other of my bicycles), and never looked back.
If /When I needed a vehicle, it was for work, so I used a company vehicle, or a U-HAUL rented by the company for that task.

Aloha. I'm out of the conversation.

The blades that I don’t like or use are occupying the space of blades that I think I would like and use. I hear you on the fancy cars. Those electric starters are such pain.

I thought there might be some innovations that could increase sales. Premium steel blades don’t add 100’s of dollars to the sticker price especially smaller blades as found on SAK’s. I don’t worry about the Swiss rising to manufacturing challenges. They even make Tourbillon Chronometers.
Well the Damascus versions command those prices, so I don’t know what makes you think premium steel won’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back