Has Victorinox "lost their way"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite was the "is the Pioneer X a better EDC than the Compact?".
Let me save you 10 minutes... it isn't.

You can't beat the classic "I found the ultimate SAK killer *soy face*" James brand shill (that he surely cashed) and then the sequel "I think you guys were right... (sak was better) *facepalm face*).

You can't beat the classic "I found the ultimate SAK killer *soy face*" James brand shill (that he surely cashed) and then the sequel "I think you guys were right... (sak was better) *facepalm face*).
Ah yes, I remember that now- didn’t connect it with him. I remember it well, as King of the Cheese King of the Cheese parroted it as if it was his own original idea. Civivi Crit multi tool , right? Yeah… somehow don’t see many of those.

There goes all Jon Gadget’s credibility.

There’s your SAK with better steel, T tiguy7 . Nitro-V on the blade of the Crit, and no parcel hook in sight! Surely that must be overwhelmingly popular.

I hardly think s30v is considered "premium" anymore, and buck probably bought 300 million metric f&$#tons of it back in 2002 when it was the new hotness.

Again, I don't think the bigwigs at victorinox consider a major overhaul of their tooling and heat treatment a worthwhile investment for, and let's be honest, a lunatic fringe of their customer base.

If the market niche is that lucrative, why haven't any of these jackass YouTubers put their money where their mouth is and started a business reblading SAKs in powder steels? Maybe because their only talent involves bitching about how established companies should conduct their business?

I hardly think s30v is considered "premium" anymore, and buck probably bought 300 million metric f&$#tons of it back in 2002 when it was the new hotness.

Again, I don't think the bigwigs at victorinox consider a major overhaul of their tooling and heat treatment a worthwhile investment for, and let's be honest, a lunatic fringe of their customer base.

If the market niche is that lucrative, why haven't any of these jackass YouTubers put their money where their mouth is and started a business reblading SAKs in powder steels? Maybe because their only talent involves bitching about how established companies should conduct their business?
Well said, buddy.
We have to keep ourselves in check- we operate in an echo chamber of knife super fanatics.
We can't fool ourselves into thinking we represent a large fraction of Victorinox's total sales.

The one thing we know for sure is that Victorinox has their process so well dialed in that they can produce 10 million knives a year. (In Switzerland!)
If I go buy a $21 recruit, I have no idea how they even make money, except that I'm sure their razor thin margins allow for it.
And the best part? unlike Case knives 2-3x the cost? It'll be perfect- good action, no slop in the joint... just a great knife.

Listen, if Victorinox made something in Magnacut, would I buy it? absolutely, and purely on principle. Would I buy several? ehhh.
Dream away- Wish for the perfect SAK. It's fun and it's been probably a pastime as long as the first SAK has been around.
But lets not start crapping on Victorinox because they don't meet our every desire.

Exactly.

And 'lunatic fringe' takes in gun nuts, car nuts, knife nuts, whatever. The lunatic fringe on knife based forums are as insane as the rest of the fan boys of car brands, guns, and so on. Their expectations are unreal in the real world. Thankfully, the regular SAK buyer at the box box sports stores and backpacking shops are blissfully ignorant of the wonder steels of the month BS. If the blade cuts cordage, foodstuff, and packages, then it's good enough. And when it stops doing so, it strops back to sharp enough very easy.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Exactly.

And 'lunatic fringe' takes in gun nuts, car nuts, knife nuts, whatever. The lunatic fringe on knife based forums are as insane as the rest of the fan boys of car brands, guns, and so on. Their expectations are unreal in the real world. Thankfully, the regular SAK buyer at the box box sports stores and backpacking shops are blissfully ignorant of the wonder steels of the month BS. If the blade cuts cordage, foodstuff, and packages, then it's good enough. And when it stops doing so, it strops back to sharp enough very easy.

I won't deny being a member of the lunatics, but I also appreciate the simplicity and reliability of old stand bys.

A nice knife is about the only luxury I allow myself, but victorinox, Timex and the 270 Winchester have all served me well over the years.

CAN I GET AN "AMEN"?!

My Mother-in-Law even carries a humble SAK Classic... and I didn't even buy it for her.

Victorinox stands the test of time because it's the greatest knife some dope is going to accidentally buy on a whim at Dick's, and it's going to last their life time and do exactly what it was intended to do.

I won't deny being a member of the lunatics, but I also appreciate the simplicity and reliability of old stand bys.

A nice knife is about the only luxury I allow myself, but victorinox, Timex and the 270 Winchester have all served me well over the years.

I'm right there with ya on the Timex and .270. The old >270 Winchester has taken more game in North America than most of these 'new' rounds. Works on varmints to deer, what more do ya want. If it's in an 'older' Winchester model 70, so much the better.

CAN I GET AN "AMEN"?!

My Mother-in-Law even carries a humble SAK Classic... and I didn't even buy it for her.

Victorinox stands the test of time because it's the greatest knife some dope is going to accidentally buy on a whim at Dick's, and it's going to last their life time and do exactly what it was intended to do.

A SAK is sort of like a Bic pen; its good at what it's intended to do, for a nominal cost, easy to replace, and for 98% of the regular Joe's out there is good enough to get the job done.

Victorinox; the world's most popular pocket knife.

Bic; the world's most popular pen.

Toyota Corolla; Worlds most produced car. 43 million to date.

None of the above would excite a car, pen, or knife fanboy, but most of the rest of world finds them good enough to do the job.

A SAK is sort of like a Bic pen; its good at what it's intended to do, for a nominal cost, easy to replace, and for 98% of the regular Joe's out there is good enough to get the job done.

It was the first knife I bought my son for exactly those reasons. Quality, affordable, replaceable. (He was 6 mos old when I got it for him 🤣, as if a 6 month old could use a tinker… )

I'm right there with ya on the Timex and .270. The old >270 Winchester has taken more game in North America than most of these 'new' rounds. Works on varmints to deer, what more do ya want. If it's in an 'older' Winchester model 70, so much the better.
It's a Marlin. Doesn't carry the prestige of the old Winchesters, but it'll put 150 grain sierra game kings into a 3/4 MOA circle all day.

Well said, buddy.
We have to keep ourselves in check- we operate in an echo chamber of knife super fanatics.
We can't fool ourselves into thinking we represent a large fraction of Victorinox's total sales.

The one thing we know for sure is that Victorinox has their process so well dialed in that they can produce 10 million knives a year. (In Switzerland!)
If I go buy a $21 recruit, I have no idea how they even make money, except that I'm sure their razor thin margins allow for it.
And the best part? unlike Case knives 2-3x the cost? It'll be perfect- good action, no slop in the joint... just a great knife.

Listen, if Victorinox made something in Magnacut, would I buy it? absolutely, and purely on principle. Would I buy several? ehhh.
Dream away- Wish for the perfect SAK. It's fun and it's been probably a pastime as long as the first SAK has been around.
But lets not start crapping on Victorinox because they don't meet our every desire.
Yup!

For if you need the file and the saw, the scissors, and the pliers - otherwise just get:

The classic ->https://www.victorinox.com/en-US/Pr...t-Knives/Classic-SD-Classic-Colors/p/0.6223.G and keep it with your keys.
If you lose it - get another. If someone borrows yours and you don't get it back - buy another. Somebody breaks the tip of - yup - buy another. It will be exactly the same as it was 20 or even 40 years ago. They'll still make it.

Toyota Corolla; Worlds most produced car. 43 million to date.

None of the above would excite a car, pen, or knife fanboy, but most of the rest of world finds them good enough to do the job.
You're right. Bic should make a Super Steel pen. They're leaving money on the table.

Great thread. I’ve carried every knife you can imagine and over the last couple years, It has almost solely been a Swiss Army knife. I’ve admittedly gone back-and-forth between the rambler, classic, and compact, but it is extremely rare that I would need anything besides the classic. Lately, that’s the only knife I carry.

The consistency of quality of a Swiss Army knife is unparalleled. I know if I pick up a new SAK, it will have the same quality as any of my others. You never have to worry about a nail breaker or blade rub or any of that. Simple and perfect. Rasor sharp.

Not that I am promoting these two brands but it’s just like Starbucks or Barnes & Noble. If I walk into a Starbucks or Barnes & Noble‘s in Ohio, it will be exactly the same as walking into one in Kansas City. The coffee will taste the same. The store will look the same. You know exactly what to expect.

I’ve spent so much money on other knives. I try not to think about it. But it was still a fun journey and lessons learned. Kind of like fixing my sump pump tonight. Initially, I learned a couple ways NOT to do it…

-Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back