Help/Ideas/Examples- Designing Boot Knife Sheath

I've wore boots all my life. Sticking your pants leg inside the boot. Invites all the dust and dirt. Seeds and leaves of grass.

Dust as in that powder fine dirt cattle make when they tread the soil. Not counting the spontaneous flying around of cow crap. The goal is keeping your socks clean as well as inside the boots.

Boot knives? Unless your pants leg is inside the boot. It's a pain to pull your pants leg up to get to it. It rubs the side of your leg.

But to each their own.

I've wore boots all my life. Sticking your pants leg inside the boot. Invites all the dust and dirt. Seeds and leaves of grass.

Dust as in that powder fine dirt cattle make when they tread the soil. Not counting the spontaneous flying around of cow crap. The goal is keeping your socks clean as well as inside the boots.

Boot knives? Unless your pants leg is inside the boot. It's a pain to pull your pants leg up to get to it. It rubs the side of your leg.

But to each their own.

These guys are carrying working knives and obviously have it dialed in.

I'm more of an asphalt boot guy, which is generally accepted here in Texas. looking for a second blade solution. I'm concealing and don't mind the second option being a little slow to pull.

But sharp and pointy things have brought us all together on the topic. I'm having a blast seeing the neat rigs. :)

So yeah, each our own I suppose.

These guys are carrying working knives and obviously have it dialed in.

I'm more of an asphalt boot guy, which is generally accepted here in Texas. looking for a second blade solution. I'm concealing and don't mind the second option being a little slow to pull.

But sharp and pointy things have brought us all together on the topic. I'm having a blast seeing the neat rigs. :)

So yeah, each our own I suppose.

Fair enough.

Well, make sure it's that's not easy to rust. The knife is up against your sweaty leg inside the boot. Depending if you're wearing boot socks. But then again. The knife is gonna get moist, regardless. Salty sweat.

Outside the boot top? There's less maintenance drama.

Fair enough.

Well, make sure it's that's not easy to rust. The knife is up against your sweaty leg inside the boot. Depending if you're wearing boot socks. But then again. The knife is gonna get moist.

Outside the boot top? There's less maintenance drama.

Roger that and agree that the auto will have to be used selectively. Aluminum body and stainless blade, so not sweating the rust, pun intended. lol

Internals could rust and dust would gum me up. Wouldn't be my first bad idea for sure. :)

But to each their own.
Very true. After the work is done at a branding everyone kinda makes a bee line for the trailers and grabs a cold one and changes out of their boots. Why? Got to go feed everything thats staying in the corrals and shotgunned boots are as mentioned a magnet for getting hay down in there. We'll pull on driving mocs or hiking boots or some kind of low heeled boot not shotgunned. Daughter and SIL after a branding. She'd been wearing riding boots during the branding as she was roping. He was working the ground. He didn't have to change.

FwDVDBx.jpg

Even riding not everyone shotguns:

CM4k0QQ.jpg

qR6LviV.jpg

These soft soled pull on work boots are popular for kicking around. Very common with lots of farmer's in this area so in the cowboy vernacular they are called "lettuce pickers." Here my wife is modeling this pair of chaps before we send them out to the customer:

cv4Ntjh.jpg

I try occasionally to ride in a low heeled boot and just can't really, its just not right. Low heeled boots are genrally shorter in the shaft and would be ideal for boot cary as they would be easier to get to with the jeans not shotgunned.

jou4fbN.jpg

Even with regular tall top riding boots I don't shotgun a hundred percent of the time, but most of the time. Quien Sabe?

ip6nvVa.jpg

Anyhoo.

Last edited:
Very true. After the work is done at a branding everyone kinda makes a bee line for the trailers and grabs a cold one and changes out of their boots. Why? Got to go feed everything thats staying in the corrals and shotgunned boots are as mentioned a magnate for getting hay down in there. We'll pull on driving mocs or hiking boots or some kind of low heeled boot not shotgunned. Daughter and SIL after a branding. She'd been wearing riding boots during the branding as she was roping. He was working the ground. He didn't have to change.

FwDVDBx.jpg

Even riding not everyone shotguns:

CM4k0QQ.jpg

qR6LviV.jpg

These soft soled pull one work boots are popular for kicking around. Very common with lots of farmer's in this area so in the cowboy vernacular they are called "lettuce pickers." Here my wife is modeling this pair of chaps before we send them out to the customer:

cv4Ntjh.jpg

I try occasionally to ride in a low heeled boot and just can't really, its just not right. Low heeled boots are genrally shorter in the shaft and would be ideal for boot cary as they would be easier to get to with the jeans not shotgunned.

jou4fbN.jpg

Even with regular tall top riding boots I don't shotgun a hundred percent of the time, but most of the time. Quien Sabe?

ip6nvVa.jpg

Anyhoo.

Those horses are gorgeous and that sure looks like Gods County. If I ever hit the lotto, I'll come work for free just be a part of what you have going on over there. :)

If you or a friend like to work with Kydex, here's an idea to consider. A friend came up with this for me in January 2014 and it's still going strong today. I wore it 6-7 days a week for about 4 years, and a bit less the past 6 years. Super lightweight, secure, doesn't flop around, and stays put. Zero issues in a decade.

PS: please forgive the Army camo pattern - the pictures are from my friend who made it, not me. :)

E9E7D139-16A9-4265-9160-2AF29AD40311.jpeg

1ADA6ADA-5E46-4158-A45B-9D6DD7E2E1BA.jpeg

FEC08DD8-3BF9-4923-837D-53BD03858308.jpeg

BBEACC74-847B-413C-9699-28EA784C7768.jpeg

If you or a friend like to work with Kydex, here's an idea to consider. A friend came up with this for me in January 2014 and it's still going strong today. I wore it 6-7 days a week for about 4 years, and a bit less the past 6 years. Super lightweight, secure, doesn't flop around, and stays put. Zero issues in a decade.

PS: please forgive the Army camo pattern - the pictures are from my friend who made it, not me. :)

View attachment 2452222

View attachment 2452223

View attachment 2452224

View attachment 2452225

Neat design and it sounds like it works great. Really dig the skeletonized Buck as well. Camo is like the Louis Vuitton of Texas, always welcome :).

Thank you for sharing Sir!

Neat design and it sounds like it works great. Really dig the skeletonized Buck as well. Camo is like the Louis Vuitton of Texas, always welcome :).

Thank you for sharing Sir!

Yes, it's a great boot knife! Not made anymore, but if you search Buck's website for PakLite, they have four similar, current offerings in 420HC or S35VN, with some removeable partial scales.

Oh, and I wasn't apologizing for the camo - just the "type" of camo. Us Marines wouldn't want to be caught dead in that Army pattern. LOL!

CDC7EA65-E072-4567-9BD0-8750751298AA.jpeg

Yes, it's a great boot knife! Not made anymore, but if you search Buck's website for PakLite, they have four similar, current offerings in 420HC or S35VN, with some removeable partial scales.

Oh, and I wasn't apologizing for the camo - just the "type" of camo. Us Marines wouldn't want to be caught dead in that Army pattern. LOL!

View attachment 2453322

I'll check it out, a looker for sure.

I have Marine, Airforce and Army Veterans all working as a team in my shop. Nothing is more fun than hearing those guys give eachother a hard time. All in good fun, like brothers giving eachother shit relentlessly. Hell of a team! :)

I'll check it out, a looker for sure.

I have Marine, Airforce and Army Veterans all working as a team in my shop. Nothing is more fun than hearing those guys give eachother a hard time. All in good fun, like brothers giving eachother shit relentlessly. Hell of a team! :)
When ya ask Brother Bill, our cook on the ranch to start the firepit and he's a Former Marine, of course he's gonna use a flame thrower:

Es96sxi.jpg

This may have been suggested, but have you considered a calf-band? I suppose similar to a belly band holster but on your calf and for your blade? This alleviates the customization of a boot, can still be tucked inside a boot as well as under a pant leg.

This may have been suggested, but have you considered a calf-band? I suppose similar to a belly band holster but on your calf and for your blade? This alleviates the customization of a boot, can still be tucked inside a boot as well as under a pant leg.

I have considered it and think it's a smart idea. Would be okay in the winter, but it's well north of 100 F here often over the summer. I've carried that way countless times scuba diving and it works well for that.

I'm waiting for a more purpose designed blade and sheath to find me.

At the moment, my little Exocet is doing great. Can't even feel it and the wide clip keeps it in place at all times. Super easy to grab and deploy with no handle to contend with.

IMG_20240119_095247_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg IMG_20240119_095119_(576_x_768_pixel).jpg

I have considered it and think it's a smart idea. Would be okay in the winter, but it's well north of 100 F here often over the summer. I've carried that way countless times scuba diving and it works well for that.

I'm waiting for a more purpose designed blade and sheath to find me.

At the moment, my little Exocet is doing great. Can't even feel it and the wide clip keeps it in place at all times. Super easy to grab and deploy with no handle to contend with.

View attachment 2471061 View attachment 2471062
That looks pretty good.

Yep all my knives, well except kitchen knives, have one.

Back