How are your ZT 0350's holding up...?

Hello everyone!

So I am considering purchasing a 0350. I just got a 301 blem from Dave A and while I love the thing, it is a beast.

I am fairly certain I have read EVERY review on the WWW on this knife and I would say that the ovewhelming majority of what I have read is very positive. I did notice that most of those reviews were from several years ago.

So the question I pose is this.... In the year 2013, how is everyone feeling about the long term performance of their 0350's?

I would welcome any feedback, stories, thoughts, etc that you all may have on this knife.

When I can get my hands on a 0566 I will have one, I want to get a 0350 in the meantime, so long as they are working well for everyone.

Thanks in advance!

Drew

Had mine for a little less than 2 years (I was a ZT late bloomer), and has been my EDC since I got it. It is still going strong. I got the Kershaw rattle about 6 months into it. Did the Vaseline trick and it hasnt come back. There's still no blade play and sharp as ever. ZT's are truly built like a tank.

You know you're 0300? The 0350 is the same (to an extent), but smaller. So, I think it'll hold up just fine.

Thanks guys. I figured it would be good to go, but never hurts to check prior to typing in the CC numbers!

You hear so much negative about liner locks in general, I just wanted to be sure. I dont see a ton of difference between liner and frame locks so they should be ok. Plus I have read that the liner lock on the 0350 is really thick?

Thanks guys. I figured it would be good to go, but never hurts to check prior to typing in the CC numbers!

You hear so much negative about liner locks in general, I just wanted to be sure. I dont see a ton of difference between liner and frame locks so they should be ok. Plus I have read that the liner lock on the 0350 is really thick?
The 0350 has a pretty stout liner lock (any ZT does for that matter). You won't have any issues.

Mines pretty much the same as the day I got it, except for some scratches and sharpening.

Mines going strong, its my first ZT. If you like the 0300 series, think of the 0350 as a more pocket friendly version

I'm actually not that fond of the ergonomics of my 0350 which I know is very different from person to person. The cutting edge on my particular specimine has been a little tempermental, it has chipped several times during what I consider EDC tasks, cutting cardboard, zip ties, opening various clamshell packages, etc. It doesn't seem to hold a razor sharp edge as well as 154CM but may keep a working edge a bit longer, I'm not sure though because the edge has always chipped before getting dull enough to "need" sharpening.

I'm actually not that fond of the ergonomics of my 0350 which I know is very different from person to person. The cutting edge on my particular specimine has been a little tempermental, it has chipped several times during what I consider EDC tasks, cutting cardboard, zip ties, opening various clamshell packages, etc. It doesn't seem to hold a razor sharp edge as well as 154CM but may keep a working edge a bit longer, I'm not sure though because the edge has always chipped before getting dull enough to "need" sharpening.
Cardboard has many impurities in it that can cause a blade to chip. I also know that zip ties, if cut at a weird angle, can chip or roll an edge.

I'm not one to cut through miles of rope or cardboard to compare one blade steel to another in any kind of scientific tests, it could just be bad luck that the edge has chipped in my 0350, but the fact remains the blade has chipped several times in cutting tasks that I don't consider abusive. I carry and use my 0350 as much as any other knife I own, it's been in my pocket for the majority of the summer even though I have a brand new 1760 with ergonomics that work better for me, the 0350 has stayed in my pocket. I don't scorn the 0350 because the edge chips, but since the OP asked for negatives I thought I'd share the negatives I've observed.

ZT did make some 350's with better steel. I've got a like new one with a DLC coated full ZDP-189 blade for sale in the Exchange if anybody is interested ;)

Mine is regularly subjected to 300 degree kydex and 140 pounds of weight on it and its as solid as can be after 2 years. Got mine used with a nasty (in a good way) polished resharpened edge and its sharper then I ever thought it could be. Not my favorite blade shape but its a damn good cutter. It certainly contains the zt feel Ive come to expect and IMO is one of the best values on the market.

I'm not one to cut through miles of rope or cardboard to compare one blade steel to another in any kind of scientific tests, it could just be bad luck that the edge has chipped in my 0350, but the fact remains the blade has chipped several times in cutting tasks that I don't consider abusive. I carry and use my 0350 as much as any other knife I own, it's been in my pocket for the majority of the summer even though I have a brand new 1760 with ergonomics that work better for me, the 0350 has stayed in my pocket. I don't scorn the 0350 because the edge chips, but since the OP asked for negatives I thought I'd share the negatives I've observed.
That just doesn't sound right if it's doing that with the tasks you are saying you use it for. I've cut aluminum beer cans, some sticks, kindling, zipties, fire hose, steak, weed trimmer line, etc... and not had any chipping. I'd say it's either technique or somethings up with the steel on your particular model. Only time I rolled an edge was cutting the top off of a can of beans, my fault for twisting it.

My 0350 chipped. To be fair that was after it got dropped on the concrete. It was just odd in that the chip didn't show up until later. I've done things with my 0350 that most would cringe at the thought of, and aside from that drop, it took everything in stride. To give you an idea, I have impact marks from a hammer on the spine of my blade and the pommel. Said act also involved mortar and a good amount of resharpening, but no chips through all that oddly enough.

I find myself wanting a new knife lately though. Something a bit more EDC friendly while still being super tough.

I have had a 0301 first and bought a 0350. I carry the 0350 more than any other knife (outside of work). I think you will end up preferring it over the 0301 because of the size and how much faster the blade comes out. I know I do.

The 0350 is a great knife no doubt. I had one for a long time. I got one when they first came out. I carried the crap out of it. I did break a torsion bar tho but its not the knifes fault. I'm not kidding I might have opened and closed it 100,000 times. Every time my girlfriend would make me watch a dumb tv show I would play with it. The lockup was always rock solid and even without the torsion bar it was still fun to open. Ive got pretty big mitts so I thought it was a little tiny. I traded it. And I miss it. I have a 301 and that fits my hand way better but I'm still kicking the idea around of a new 350. The current price on them is pretty smoking.

Had my 350 for about 8 months now and edc and I mean every day and its still sharp and smooth as glass. It opens and closes better then my cryo truth be told.

Back