Knife give away

How about from the darts aspect? Dart throwing is very popular as are dart teams. Here in the Boston area it's hard to find a local saloon that doesn't offer darts. Sounds like a natural transition to me. The drawback is that many of the dart leagues revolve around or take place at places that serve alcohol now for most of us that wouldn't be a problem but for some......Large pointed knives spinning through the air of your local gin mill might not be everyones cup of tea. One could argue that darts flying through the air at local gin mills isn't to safe either though. Not sure where I'm taking this but it could be something to explore. The basic principle seems to be the same.
Bob

Another idea:

Look into Renissance Faires. Many of the attendees have a thing for blades anyway. It might be possible to get a booth and actually CHARGE people for the privledge of tossing a knife or two. That might provide a great opportunity to get noticed and generate interest.

Besides, some of the wenches are pretty hot... again with that scantily clad young woman thing....
biggrin.gif

------------------

Produce a how to video featuring your champions and have the local chapters distribute them at cost. Include vital info on were to purchase accesories etc. Encourage the local chapters to promote by having Turkey/Ham throws in conjuction with local gun clubs and the like. Keep those simple and keep ringers out. The purpose would be to give newbies a reason to try it. It could even make the chapter a few bucks. Buy adds in 4H publications and others that reach rural folks who are more open to this type of sport. If things go well and a larger budget is created go for national exposure on a show like American Shooter. I love the trick shooting and bow and arrow features they have on there.

1) Appeal to all age groups, but especially kids. You can make it educational and fun at the same time. For example, throwing any object involves the laws of physics, so tie in knife throwing to the physical properties governing the process. Mention records set in the sport and how difficult or how much skill it took to acomplish the feat. Discuss how throwing knives (hatchets, axes, etc...)differ from regular knives and why. Also, tie in the history and legends surrounding the sport and the famous folks who have enjoyed the hobby.

2) For the parents and adults, emphasize how it promotes (or should) safety, discipline, concentration, and hand-eye coordination. All skills that will benefit other areas of your life

3) Promote it as a sport and not a fighting skill. Darts are widely accepted, but have their origin in combat/hunting.

4) Make it hands on. It was mentioned earlier and I totally agree. I got hooked on knife throwing by trying it and hearing that nice little "thunk" as the blade stuck. Make it a 'gimme throw into stryrofoam or the like so most folks can do it.

5) Create or use a scored target and make a game out of it. Like darts only harder and better outside
smile.gif

6) Hold exhibitions during county fairs, reenactments, rodeos, etc. Use plenty of fun (balloons, playing cards, bottle caps, moving objects) targets and events (blindfolded throws, long distance throws, little knife and big knife or hatchet throws) that will wow the audience and show how fun knife throwing can be. You will get plenty of interested folks and maybe a few new members to the KTA.

The contest is over. Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I will post the name of the winner as soon as I review the post.

Bobby Branton

------------------
AKTI member #1000
President South Carolina Association of Knifemakers
President American Knife Throwers Alliance

http://www.brantonknives.com

Back