New Becker Patrol Pack?

We got my son on an 8 mile hike when he was about 4. We don’t have mountains nearby anymore, but he still jumps to go camping, electronics or no. You’ve got to start them young.

I‘ve been looking at those, too. Tempting. Haven‘t decided on a size, yet.
That’s my dilemma as well. Not sure of what size yet. Handgun, few mags, compass, fire kit, cordage, and small FAK are what I would need it to hold.

I wonder since I'm tall, if the belt would work for me. I never could get the MAP 3500's belt to work for me. I always tucked the belt in, as it didn't work for load bearing. Perhaps it wasn't meant for that. Perhaps it was to keep the pack more stable, with less side to side motion?

Have you tried getting shorter? I hear people get shorter with [old] age, maybe you'll grow into it.

That’s my dilemma as well. Not sure of what size yet. Handgun, few mags, compass, fire kit, cordage, and small FAK are what I would need it to hold.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I might add some food to it when I go kayaking - seems like a chest rig could shine there.

Well, I just went and looked at them again, and the colors available tipped my hand. I wanted a large, and the manatee is only available in the full size right now. The plan was to get it prior to a kayaking trip soon.

So there we go.

As for the BPP, I’m a little split. I’m not sure when I’d use such a large pack. But I’d love to take it backpacking for days.

Definately the full with that much stuff unless the IFAK is really small. My Chinese one is about the measurements of the full size and once I add a camp knife in there with the rest of the items I carried at camp, it's getting full. I think your gear would fit into a smaller one, just not sure you want it packed tight if you need an easy draw for the handgun.

Definately the full with that much stuff unless the IFAK is really small. My Chinese one is about the measurements of the full size and once I add a camp knife in there with the rest of the items I carried at camp, it's getting full. I think your gear would fit into a smaller one, just not sure you want it packed tight if you need an easy draw for the handgun.
‘Thanks. I definitely made the right choice, then.

Here's how I had mine loaded up. You can see there's still some room in there but if you put in an IFAK too, you risk the think bulging a bit and an over-stuff chest rig is an uncomfortable chest rig. You'll want it to lie flat on your chest for comfort's sake.

My phone/camera is missing from the space on top of the knife in order to take the picture, so it would've been a little more full in use. Seems to be void of snacks as well so probably after a few hours on the water. We try not to travel anywhere anymore without sustenance for the bottomless pits, I mean kids.
aqgGtkHl.jpg

Here's how I had mine loaded up. You can see there's still some room in there but if you put in an IFAK too, you risk the think bulging a bit and an over-stuff chest rig is an uncomfortable chest rig. You'll want it to lie flat on your chest for comfort's sake.

My phone/camera is missing from the space on top of the knife in order to take the picture, so it would've been a little more full in use. Seems to be void of snacks as well so probably after a few hours on the water. We try not to travel anywhere anymore without sustenance for the bottomless pits, I mean kids.
aqgGtkHl.jpg

My IFAK would be a small one, I would keep my main FAK in my backpack. The chest rig will also be something I wear when we venture away from basecamp to explore the trails or whatever and I don't want to lug my backpack. Number 1 purpose is to keep firearm/mags readily available. I'm pretty redundant with my gear, so more than likely, I'll have more advanced gear in my backpack. I hear the chest rigs keep you hot, as in not letting your chest breath on a hot, sweaty, summer day. Have you had this experience?

Reactions: FSA
My IFAK would be a small one, I would keep my main FAK in my backpack. The chest rig will also be something I wear when we venture away from basecamp to explore the trails or whatever and I don't want to lug my backpack. Number 1 purpose is to keep firearm/mags readily available. I'm pretty redundant with my gear, so more than likely, I'll have more advanced gear in my backpack. I hear the chest rigs keep you hot, as in not letting your chest breath on a hot, sweaty, summer day. Have you had this experience?
I'm a back sweater so having the back open is far more preferential than having the chest open. For me, the chest rig is much more comfy in hot weather than even a small backpack (minimalist camelbak). I still wear small hydration packs in hot weather frequently but I'm more influenced to get the pack off and the water into bottles (mostly on the bike) and off of me. And the chest rig is infinitely easier to access than a backpack.

I imagine the HPG also has this feature, but mine has some cordage that will hold the bag up like a shelf so you have a mobile work surface too. Just don't bend forward much.

If you're in good shape, just skip on the shirt. If you're chubby like me, skip the shirt anyway... it's hot out. Just be prepared for the funny tan lines. In reality, I have a ton of highly breathable athletic shirts and really don't notice the chest rig getting me too hot. If I wear cotton, yes there will absolutely be a sweat spot where the chest rig sits but that's the case for any bag I would wear in hot weather. Even a hip bag.

I'm a back sweater so having the back open is far more preferential than having the chest open. For me, the chest rig is much more comfy in hot weather than even a small backpack (minimalist camelbak). I still wear small hydration packs in hot weather frequently but I'm more influenced to get the pack off and the water into bottles (mostly on the bike) and off of me. And the chest rig is infinitely easier to access than a backpack.

I imagine the HPG also has this feature, but mine has some cordage that will hold the bag up like a shelf so you have a mobile work surface too. Just don't bend forward much.

If you're in good shape, just skip on the shirt. If you're chubby like me, skip the shirt anyway... it's hot out. Just be prepared for the funny tan lines. In reality, I have a ton of highly breathable athletic shirts and really don't notice the chest rig getting me too hot. If I wear cotton, yes there will absolutely be a sweat spot where the chest rig sits but that's the case for any bag I would wear in hot weather. Even a hip bag.

I sweat like a pig! I do have sweat wicking shirts I wear backpacking, so maybe that will help.

I'm just gonna have to drop the hammer and get one to try out this year. I've thought about it for a long time now and just need to do it.

Quick update i got from cousin bongo

" The plastic buckles and other hardware are Jordao manufacture. Jordao S.A.S., is a Colombian company and they manufacture their products in Colombia. The Colombian military - I’ve watched their soldiers abuse their gear like crazy - has insisted on Jordao buckles on most all of their load bearing gear and other stuff for years and my testing puts it on a par with Duraflex and ITW.

Zipper on the lid pouch is EKA, another Colombian company and also really good stuff."

Also, at least one person in the bk&t group on FB has his pack abd likes it.

Quick update i got from cousin bongo

" The plastic buckles and other hardware are Jordao manufacture. Jordao S.A.S., is a Colombian company and they manufacture their products in Colombia. The Colombian military - I’ve watched their soldiers abuse their gear like crazy - has insisted on Jordao buckles on most all of their load bearing gear and other stuff for years and my testing puts it on a par with Duraflex and ITW.

Zipper on the lid pouch is EKA, another Colombian company and also really good stuff."

Also, at least one person in the bk&t group on FB has his pack abd likes it.

has the new pack already?

Hopefully someone will do a nice review of it.

Reactions: FSA
Back