New to RHK - Need Help

I have been a long time CRK buyer, I recently bought a few flippers - (2) Southward Avo, Southward Tolk, Hoback A8 and a Pena Diesel. Sold the Pena (too big), trying to sell the Hoback A8 (don't like tanto style blades). I really want to buy a Hinderer Flipper XM-18 3" Slicer.

Is it a great knife and where can I locate one? I am so confused in the different generations and such, can someone help me?

Howard Douglas
howardcdouglas@gmail.com

@Need2Know - thank you! I did read that, interesting stuff. The Hinderer site is down tonight when I went there a few times to read and check dealers. Only the SHOP icon works. I did find a brand new 3" Slicer with a blue/black scale for $620 at a dealer. Seemed higher then others I found, but I am going to call tomorrow.

Is the slicer a good blade for easy tasks, cutting boxes, envelopes, tape, etc.??

@Need2Know - thank you! I did read that, interesting stuff. The Hinderer site is down tonight when I went there a few times to read and check dealers. Only the SHOP icon works. I did find a brand new 3" Slicer with a blue/black scale for $620 at a dealer. Seemed higher then others I found, but I am going to call tomorrow.

Is the slicer a good blade for easy tasks, cutting boxes, envelopes, tape, etc.??

Sorry about that wasn't aware the dealer page was down. I did a two second search and found a couple 3.5" Spearpoints in stock for a price lower than you posted. And I suggest looking around a bit before pulling the trigger or pull the trigger without haste if you see exactly what you seek.

Yes, the Slicer will do the listed tasks...I call the 3" XM tiny but many call it their favorite, etc.

Yes I did find some less expensive 3.5" blades, I really want the 3" slicer. Hope I buy one tomorrow.

As RHK builds knives in batches you may have to wait a little for a 3" batch in the blade shape of your choice. I don't know when 3" XMs will be built.

I would wait for a 3" slicer to pop up for sale in the forums. Shouldn't take too long and I would pay more than $400 for a normal one.

$620 is more than I would pay...there are used ones selling for around $400 or less if your quick. I think the slicer blade style is the most utilitarian blade style, both of my 3" are slicer grinds. If you are looking for a flipper try to stick with a gen 4 as these will have a stronger detent which helps for flipping.

There is a Gen 2 on the forum I am talking to the seller about. is there going to be an issue of not flipping easy? He said it is great flipping and solid lockup. Can I change the G10 scales with the ones on the RHK site? Are all the 3" G10 scales compatible to all generations?

I just bought this,
- Brand New from dealer
- Orange scale
- Slicer blade
- Flipper

It is more then RHK cost, but I want a new one, so I will pay... They let me use my business UPS overnight label (I get crazy cheap rates) so I will have it tomorrow.

View attachment 570593

Last edited:
I'm confused, is it a 3" or a 3 1/2"? As stated in the sticky, there are only 3 generations of the 3" XM-18.

Back