Ontario Knife Company Sold?

These company buy outs almost never end in a net positive for customers or employees
I’m sympathetic to the employees, but from the lens of big business, absorbing the assets into an existing workforce is much more profitable… and speaking from personal experience, acquisition personnel tend to be stalwarts of the old regime, with lots of complaints of “we always did it this way” and “thats not how we do things here”, and that attitude carries on for several years. Hopefully they all find jobs quickly elsewhere.

I’m sympathetic to the employees, but from the lens of big business, absorbing the assets into an existing workforce is much more profitable… and speaking from personal experience, acquisition personnel tend to be stalwarts of the old regime, with lots of complaints of “we always did it this way” and “thats not how we do things here”, and that attitude carries on for several years. Hopefully they all find jobs quickly elsewhere.
I worked for a company built from the ground by 1 guy with a dream, company got far bigger than he ever expected and he couldn't manage it anymore so he sold to a huge corp. Within 6 months around 60 customer service/office jobs were subbed out to India, and half the manufacturing plant was removed and subbed out to a Mexican facility. I'm sure the new CEO is doing very well.

I worked for a company built from the ground by 1 guy with a dream, company got far bigger than he ever expected and he couldn't manage it anymore so he sold to a huge corp. Within 6 months around 60 customer service/office jobs were subbed out to India, and half the manufacturing plant was removed and subbed out to a Mexican facility. I'm sure the new CEO is doing very well.
Despite whatever some CEO preaches from the manufacturing floor about how the talent is valued, in the end the writing is on the wall: they’re buying the IP and the equipment. Hourly workers will be replaced. It’s the cold hard truth.

Despite whatever some CEO preaches from the manufacturing floor about how the talent is valued, in the end the writing is on the wall: they’re buying the IP and the equipment. Hourly workers will be replaced. It’s the cold hard truth.
Only loosely related to original topic but I'd like to offer advice to anyone reading this that it pertains to, if a company you're working for is going through a buy out, start forming a backup plan immediately

I’m very patient, but I’m not going to spend my money on a product that I’m not sure will be supported. I try to support as many US knife companies as possible and OKC has always been one that I’ve supported. However, until I’m sure they are going to be standing behind their products I will purchase these types of knives from ESEE. They didn’t say they weren’t going to honor their warranty but they also did not say they would. I think my decision is fair.
It’s not so much your decision as it is your decision to publicly state it. It kind of smells like you are trying to pressure the new owners to do what you want by holding the “customer” Sword of Damocles over their head. That’s like, the opposite of “patient”.

Only loosely related to original topic but I'd like to offer advice to anyone reading this that it pertains to, if a company you're working for is going through a buy out, start forming a backup plan immediately
I personally would either kiss the butt of the new regime, or find a new job. The people that don’t help cut costs or fight the change are always shown the door… and after arguing with supply chain managers and VPs of ops that want to go to war against the new company, it never ends well. Join up or move on.

So, does this mean there will be a run on pre Ontario Knife Co. sale, Ontarios’?
I almost panic bought a chef & paring combo. (untill I remembered, I want a new hedge trimmer)

Back