Pocket pry bars

UPK-T1 Rocket Tool

This is one I stumbled upon from looking at the upcoming Blade Show info in Salt Lake.

upk-t1-rocket-tool-billet-790912.jpg

Hardened and Cryo'ed 154CM for $30 in billet form with cast being $15. Their labor day sale is still active too!

Thoughts on the Brass versus plain Ti version? The $15 price difference isn't a big concern. I'm wondering about tarnish on the brass and if it will hold up to prying and general pocket carry on a keyring and similar things better or worse than Ti. The weight difference in something this small should not be an issue for me FWIW.

Thoughts on the Brass versus plain Ti version? The $15 price difference isn't a big concern. I'm wondering about tarnish on the brass and if it will hold up to prying and general pocket carry on a keyring and similar things better or worse than Ti. The weight difference in something this small should not be an issue for me FWIW.
I always go Ti if it is an option. I’m not sure on the brass version. Brass will oxidize causing patina/tarnish. Many people like the aged look of brass patina. You can force the patina with salt/vinegar & seal in ziplock bag. If you don’t like the patina, you can just sand it off.

Because it is a small keychain tool, brass would probably be sufficient for keychain/edc use. Others here are surely more knowledgeable on that topic than I.

$9 @ Amazon as "RONRONS 5 Pack Mini Stainless Steel Pocket Pry Bar Crowbar Multifunction EDC Tool Survival Opener".

Pretty stout stainless steel with well finished edges so very comfortable in my hand.
You paid too much. Anything simple like that will have been copied dozens of times over and places like amazon or ebay will be flooded with the clones.

Those are cheap chinese knockoffs of the USA made pry bars you can get from places like countycomm. The steel in the clones is of dubious composition. Who knows what could be in it?

You paid too much. Anything simple like that will have been copied dozens of times over and places like amazon or ebay will be flooded with the clones.

Those are cheap chinese knockoffs of the USA made pry bars you can get from places like countycomm. The steel in the clones is of dubious composition. Who knows what could be in it?

I disagree.

This is basically the cost of one of the coffee drinks a lot of people buy mindlessly going to work each day. At under $2/ea, it is also easy to put one on each tractor and truck key ring.

In terms of a "cheap Chinese knock-off", a flat piece of steel with a nick in one end and a split-ring hole in the other is about as original as a wheel or pencil.

In terms of steel, Chinese stainless mirrors a lot of the classics from other foundries which is pretty close to a direct copy in many specific cases. In any case, when hardened, this stainless has worked well in a multitude of products people commonly buy. Whether this infringes Intellectual Property and Patent rules from other foundries is a topic for a different thread.

I disagree.
Disagree all you like. You definitely could have gotten those copycat prybars a lot cheaper from the usual places where theses crappy knockoff products are sold more openly. Hell, there's probably a few cheaper listings on amazon or ebay too.

And like I said, the metal content is dubious. You don't know what it is. It could even be unhealthy for you to be touching those things with your bare hands.

You got ripped off.

edit: Yup, I just poked around a bit and right away, yes there are a ton of listings for these things everywhere. All for the same exact pry bar. There's literally no difference.

So on amazon I already found a pack of 5 for $8.59 with free shipping, which is only 40 cents cheaper than what you paid. Okay not so bad. But then over on ebay I found a listing with free shipping for the identical pry bar for $1.63 each. That comes out to $8.15 for 5 of them, which ends up being 84 cents less than what you paid. Okay, still not too bad. But then you go over to ali express and...

oh look...

In the first few results we have the same exact pry bar selling for 41 cents each.

Alright, let's throw that in the cart, and with shipping it comes out to $10.17...

...for 10 of them.

That's a little over one dollar each.

Last edited:
I have several inexpensive prybars. I prefer a steel pry bar with a split end that can remove small nails and tacks. The most recent pry bar is one I made by cutting off one end of a Stanley Wonder Bar II (#55-045). It cost less than $7 US.

stanley-wonder-bar2-mod.jpg

I have several inexpensive prybars. I prefer a steel pry bar with a split end that can remove small nails and tacks. The most recent pry bar is one I made by cutting off one end of a Stanley Wonder Bar II (#55-045). It cost less than $7 US.

Those were a great pry bar when still made here in the US.
If I had to I would still take one over a Harbor freight offering, but thankfully Vaughn & Bushnell has their Dasco pro line.

Disagree all you like. You definitely could have gotten those copycat prybars a lot cheaper from the usual places where theses crappy knockoff products are sold more openly. Hell, there's probably a few cheaper listings on amazon or ebay too.

And like I said, the metal content is dubious. You don't know what it is. It could even be unhealthy for you to be touching those things with your bare hands.

You got ripped off.

edit: Yup, I just poked around a bit and right away, yes there are a ton of listings for these things everywhere. All for the same exact pry bar. There's literally no difference.

So on amazon I already found a pack of 5 for $8.59 with free shipping, which is only 40 cents cheaper than what you paid. Okay not so bad. But then over on ebay I found a listing with free shipping for the identical pry bar for $1.63 each. That comes out to $8.15 for 5 of them, which ends up being 84 cents less than what you paid. Okay, still not too bad. But then you go over to ali express and...

oh look...

In the first few results we have the same exact pry bar selling for 41 cents each.

Alright, let's throw that in the cart, and with shipping it comes out to $10.17...

...for 10 of them.

At under $2/ea for a well finished pry bar that is working well was vastly cheaper than anything locally available including Chinesium from Harbor Freight. I don't need some "super steel" to pull staples and tiny nails either. Could I find something cheaper online? Probably but, free shipping and Amazon's return policy made this a low risk purchase that in the end I was pleased with. Also, 5 is more than I really need so 10 would just go to waste in some forgotten drawer or can in my barn so, "I went slightly upscale" with my Amazon purchase. Will they be cheaper at some point? Probably but, the difference is going to be less than the cost of a common cup of coffee or a soda somewhere in most cases.

Whether it is better or worse than anything else, or more expensive or cheaper is really like barking at the moon since we can't compare our samples to make a determination of which is better or worse in function, or a better or worse 'value'. In the end, they are working for me after failing find a Dasco version at Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes which would have been at least $12 locally if it was in stock and made in China.

While not a big fan of China or Chinese products in general, their "Sandvik" steels have served me well in cheap knives. Heck, I wish I could get Victorinox replacement blades in one of those Chinese stamped stainless steels to get better edge holding. Like it or not, right now China is effectively "sole source" for a lot of products in the general consumer retail space when you don't need or want an expensive boutique variant like the $30 Upknife version I recently bought or the Antdesigns option I'm looking at!

All this being said, I would have no problems paying $10~$15 for a similar item made from a scrap from a knifemaker at some knife show. I have a 1084 pry bar closer to a "paint can" scraper tool in hardened 1084 I got for $15 at the Texas Blade Show that is awesome for something pretty large that will take massive abuse as a prybar.

In the end, I'm not going to stress whether you do or don't like my purchase or whether I could have found something better for less than $2/ea because my time has some value too! If you can point me to a USA or EU made version (actually made in and from USA or EU materials) at a similar price or even double at my mailbox, I would buy them too! The closest I found was a $15 plus shipping cast Upknife rocket tool.

... But then you go over to ali express and...

oh look...

...for 10 of them.

Aliexpress is fine if you don't mind waiting weeks for 10 prybars for the same cost as 5 delivered in 2 or 3 days for free.

It is a bit like paying $2 for a 500ml/16.9oz Soft Drink when I have a $1 2ltr bottle at home in the fridge. Convenience has a value too and I also wanted to have it for my recent trip. I won't be crying over only getting 5 versus 10 prybars.

Heck, the canned coffee drink I recently bought at Walmart was a little over $3. At this point I feel like we are arguing over pennies saved for a multiweek wait shipped from China.

Nice! Similar to the Dasco I was looking for!

Good morning everyone! I just read through this and wanted to give my thoughts. I 100% agree that some of them are ridiculously overpriced and overrated. I have a few LNW prys that I keep in my truck bag and my BOB. I also have one that I over paid for and it sits in my safe in its box.

I also have quite a few cheaper prys that I like, a few being from a Ukrainian guy that I met online and a few from CC, and yet another from Amazon. I’d be happy to provide pictures and / or links if anyone would like them.

Aliexpress is fine if...
Just to be crystal clear: please don't buy things from ali extress. Ever. It has a poor reputation for numerous reasons. The sole purpose for citing ali express is to highlight what kind of cheap junk you are getting when you buy these things. It's made for pennies on the dollar and you are very likely not getting the good deal that you think you are. There is also a very real possibility that it's even unhealthy. "Unhealthy? What do you mean?" I am talking about the metal content. There is a documented history of unsafe materials being used in the manufacturing of this stuff, and you don't know what you're getting when you buy from these sources. Ask yourself why it's so cheap. Do the research. Understand the various negative factors involved.

Never, ever, ever buy things from ali express, and please pay attention when shopping on amazon or ebay to make sure that the stuff you are buying isn't isn't coming from the same shady sources that the garbage on ali express stuff comes from. There are even apps and browser extensions specifically designed to help you do this, and sometimes you can even save yourself money by using them.

Just to be crystal clear: please don't buy things from ali extress. Ever. It has a poor reputation for numerous reasons. The sole purpose for citing ali express is to highlight what kind of cheap junk you are getting when you buy these things. It's made for pennies on the dollar and you are very likely not getting the good deal that you think you are. There is also a very real possibility that it's even unhealthy. "Unhealthy? What do you mean?" I am talking about the metal content. There is a documented history of unsafe materials being used in the manufacturing of this stuff, and you don't know what you're getting when you buy from these sources. Ask yourself why it's so cheap. Do the research. Understand the various negative factors involved.

Never, ever, ever buy things from ali express, and please pay attention when shopping on amazon or ebay to make sure that the stuff you are buying isn't isn't coming from the same shady sources that the garbage on ali express stuff comes from. There are even apps and browser extensions specifically designed to help you do this, and sometimes you can even save yourself money by using them.
Couldn’t agree more.

Like eBay, Ali express IMHO has its place. I have bought Snowpeak Ti cookware and cups from them under a different label from the OEM for 1/3 the price. I have also bought Convoy flashlights from their official store which is on that site and I am very happy with them for their cost.

When I can buy a JBD brand BMS (Battery Management System) for my Lithium solar batteries from them direct on Ali express versus paying 200% or 300% for the same exact thing in the USA with a different silk screened label on the case with identical boards inside, why would I? In my case, I need a higher capacity BMS from JBD which was not even available in the USA. Schneider and Midnite Solar both make great solar products but, they don't make everything in a size I need or if they do, in Schneider's case, may be 8 to 12 times the cost of a similar component which matters when we are talking ~$200 versus $2,000~$3,000. Or $30K of batteries out of California versus $4500 out of China.

I am not PRO-Chinese but, let's be honest, China is essentially sole source for a lot of things. And yes, I'm aware of the Chinese putting low level radioactive metal in stainless components and putting Melamine in baby formula to boost protein levels among some of the more obvious atrocities that made Western News media rounds. I won't buy fish and other food products processed in China and, generally from anywhere in the Pacific Rim. Specifically, I don't buy Shrimp shipped out of China or the Pacific Rim area which frequently have traces of toxic metals and chemicals, or general industrial and human waste, in them.

Gulf shrimp are more expensive but, taste so much better it is totally worth it IMHO. I would happily pay 150% or 200% for USA/EU/Canadian products of similar function, capability, durability, and reliability but that simply is not an option today for many products.

If someone can point me to USA or EU made similar hardened stainless prybars for ~$30 delivered for 5, please let me know. I prefer to support small operations and sole authorship craftsmen/women where I can but, I have to know they exist and they need to be in a position to be cost reasonable.

Back