Sebenza 31, Grid Viva sharpener and Venev CBN Orion Eye Candy

This is truly amazing precision on all counts, something to be appreciated. In reading this post I realize that I'm a philistine who will never graduate past budget edc's and free hand convex edges.

Pretty sure after taking the time to put such a beautiful edge on something like that I would hesitate to use it. Still love seeing them though!

That is an amazing knife sharpener! It looks very expensive, probably more than most of my knives combined. Very nice.

I think they were in the ballpark of $2000 and I'm not even sure if you can get them anymore.

Grid Viva periodically makes more of them, but always in very limited stock because they are all hand made.

It's certainly not the cheapest system but it's worth having if you have a good collection of premium knives.

What I do like about it, is the fact that it's a one-and-done system that can sharpen anything you throw at it.

Grid Viva periodically makes more of them, but always in very limited stock because they are all hand made.

It's certainly not the cheapest system but it's worth having if you have a good collection of premium knives.

What I do like about it, is the fact that it's a one-and-done system that can sharpen anything you throw at it.
I am not questioning its abilities or quality but $2000 is wayyyyyyyy too steep for me. My budget is more of a benchstone or Sharpmaker kind of thing. Those who have one I am sure are very happy with it.

I've been considering an upgrade from my TSProf Blitz 360 Pro but I also don't think I'm ready to spend Grid Viva money. Main use would be folding knives with the occasional fixed blade or kitchen knife. Do you have experience with both the KakBritva Luch and Sylift plus? If so, could you highlight some pros and cons of each? Am I correct in assuming either would be an upgrade from the Blitz?

Do you have experience with both the KakBritva Luch and Sylift plus? If so, could you highlight some pros and cons of each? Am I correct in assuming either would be an upgrade from the Blitz?

It would be a great upgrade from your Blitz, no doubt. I have the Blitz, Blitz Pro and a few of the KakBritva models, including the Luch.

The Luch is great value for money and a well built, versatile system. KakBritva also has accessories you could add if you so choose in future. Their belt driven fine tuning mechanism work smoothly and accurately, and the standard clamps work well for most knives. If you have difficult grinds on some knives, they have lots of different clamps if ever needed. The swivel up and down ability of the Luch model is also a great feature to have for versatility in use.

Gritomatic in the USA has stock of KakBritva systems, I would drop them a note if I were you.

As far as the Sylift plus wider belt mechanism versus the one on the current Luch version, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Both mechanisms work equally well. I would personally go for the current Luch over the Sylift version. If you like the turntable feature, that can one day be added later to your Luch if you like.

Last edited:
It would be a great upgrade from your Blitz, no doubt. I have the Blitz, Blitz Pro and a few of the KakBritva models, including the Luch.

The Luch is great value for money and a well built, versatile system. KakBritva also has accessories you could add if you so choose in future. Their belt driven fine tuning mechanism work smoothly and accurately, and the standard clamps work well for most knives. If you have difficult grinds on some knives, they have lots of different clamps if ever needed. The swivel up and down ability of the Luch model is also a great feature to have for versatility in use.

Gritomatic in the USA has stock of KakBritva systems, I would drop them a note if I were you.

As far as the Sylift plus wider belt mechanism versus the one on the current Luch version, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Both mechanisms work equally well. I would personally go for the current Luch over the Sylift version. If you like the turntable feature, that can one day be added later to your Luch if you like.

Thanks! I don't see the turntable accessory available on Gritomatic, do you have somewhere you recommend purchasing it from or should I contact Gritomatic and see if they intend to stock it in the future?

Thanks! I don't see the turntable accessory available on Gritomatic, do you have somewhere you recommend purchasing it from or should I contact Gritomatic and see if they intend to stock it in the future?

Probably not something you'll need to start with, but yeah contact Gritomatic to find out for future reference:

Back