Small Manual Flippers with 2.25-3.25 inch Blades

RamZar

Gold Member
Looking for more manual/unassisted (no torsion bars) flippers with blade lengths of about 3 inches.

I'll start off with the ones I have (blade lengths in parentheses):

2afa2239-40e6-4432-b5c0-23a305fb8daa_zps685e32d6.jpg

Last edited:
I highly recommend a Kershaw RAM if you can find one. May sound crazy, but to me the action feels as good or better than my Domino. 3.125" blade. Also look for an original Junkyard Dog. The clip is a little weird, but its action is wonderful.

Kershaw OD-1 and skyline are both very smooth and highly addictive manual flippers :) the skyline is one of my favorite knives, its very light and comfortable in your hand. the OD flipper is just really fun to play with I hope they make another knife with it in the future.

I highly recommend a Kershaw RAM if you can find one. May sound crazy, but to me the action feels as good or better than my Domino. 3.125" blade.

Totally forgot about them. I have 4 different kinds of them and yes they have blade lengths of 3.125 inches (Sandvik 14C28N steel) and very smooth. I wish they would bring them back but with better steel. Great flipper action.

27301cd2-6240-4cf4-9a0b-cda6573d6c03_zps6e919fb2.jpg

Also look for an original Junkyard Dog. The clip is a little weird, but its action is wonderful.

I have a couple of the old small Kershaw Junkyard Dog 1720 with the Air Force logo, stainless steel handles and 3 inch blade of Sandvik 14C28N.

b414f4ed-96d2-46c5-bd1c-e5c2d3c9a5cf_zps5ab84bad.jpg

Sam eddleman makes an amazing 3" flipper in both a frame and liner lock

How about the A.G. Russell Skorpion knives?

How's the flipper action? I see that the A.G. Russell Small Skorpion has a 3" blade of 8Cr13MoV steel. Not a fan of that steel.

Buck's Vantage line jumps to mind as well

The blade length of 3.25" is a tad longer than I'd like for EDC in L.A. but it looks well made with S30V to boot. How's the fit & finish and how's the flipper action?

I see that there's also a version with a 2.625" blade but I'd like to keep it at 3"-3.1" for maximum benefit and legality.

Kershaw OD-1 and skyline are both very smooth and highly addictive manual flippers :) the skyline is one of my favorite knives, its very light and comfortable in your hand. the OD flipper is just really fun to play with I hope they make another knife with it in the future.

Forgot that I have a Kershaw Skyline 1760DAM with a 3.125" Damascus blade.

48d1effe-7f29-484b-a775-7ca1855773e5_zps783c2b26.jpg

Sam eddleman makes an amazing 3" flipper in both a frame and liner lock

The Sam Eddleman Liner Lock IKBS Flipper Carbon Fiber Handle looks very sweet but tough to find and expensive! They have a 3 inch spear point blade of 154CM steel.

After checking his website I don't think he makes the 3" any more just the 4".

How's the flipper action? I see that the A.G. Russell Small Skorpion has a 3" blade of 8Cr13MoV steel. Not a fan of that steel.

It flips like a champ (strong detent for the win). I'm not a steel snob. I've found steels like 8Cr13MoV, AUS8A and VG10 are fine for most folks actual pocket knife use. I can't argue with your tastes, though, as I own most of the knives you've posted to this thread (though I never bought a mini matrix and don't have the damascus version of the skyline). :)

The blade length of 3.25" is a tad longer than I'd like for EDC in L.A. but it looks well made with S30V to boot. How's the fit & finish and how's the flipper action?

I see that there's also a version with a 2.625" blade but I'd like to keep it at 3"-3.1" for maximum benefit and legality.

I actually prefer the 12c27 version to the S30V version (I have Vantage knives in both)--again, I'm not much of a steel snob. The model I posted is my favorite because the fit and finish is superior on the later 12c27 Vantage Avids from what I've seen and I like the feel of the Dymondwood scales better.

I actually prefer the 12c27 version to the S30V version (I have Vantage knives in both)--again, I'm not much of a steel snob. The model I posted is my favorite because the fit and finish is superior on the later 12c27 Vantage Avids from what I've seen and I like the feel of the Dymondwood scales better.

I ordered one of the Buck Vantage Force Pro knives with a 3.25" blade. It's not part of this group of flippers with 3" blades but it looks good with the black oxide finished S30V blade and black and blue contoured G-10 handle.

9a9534ef754e2e67b4c2742c73af64e5_zps1e16a324.jpg

Back