The Basic 5" Field Knife - Thoughts and Impressions

One of the few pre-orders I will probably sit out. Already have 2 (D3V and CW, both with ghetto grind), so the only thing I'm really looking for is new scales for them.

My checkbook tells me to also sit it out but my conscious would feel both guilty and dirty! I am not trying to be an influencer to anyone but rather convince myself by talking out loud what's going on inside my head: with several OG-FKs (FK1) and several FK2s in addition to several BFKs already at my disposal, I am already doubled digit FK'd! Now comes the conundrum:

1- Nathan/Jo, the bestest small business in the entire world, must be supported and the preorders are a great win-win way to support this awesomest of U.S. based / made knife enterprises.

2- Did not succeed in scoring any HG version so if some form of semi-customization should be offered with a hollow grind option, I'll be in for a SS-BFK in this config

3- I really dig that yellow Osage which has also eluded me so if Osage should be a guaranteed option plus sweet AW finish on another HG, I'll be doubly in!

My checkbook tells me to also sit it out but my conscious would feel both guilty and dirty! I am not trying to be an influencer to anyone but rather convince myself by talking out loud what's going on inside my head: with several OG-FKs (FK1) and several FK2s in addition to several BFKs already at my disposal, I am already doubled digit FK'd! Now comes the conundrum:

1- Nathan/Jo, the bestest small business in the entire world, must be supported and the preorders are a great win-win way to support this awesomest of U.S. based / made knife enterprises.

2- Did not succeed in scoring any HG version so if some form of semi-customization should be offered with a hollow grind option, I'll be in for a SS-BFK in this config

3- I really dig that yellow Osage which has also eluded me so if Osage should be a guaranteed option plus sweet AW finish on another HG, I'll be doubly in!
I’ve not been this lucky to have scored multiple Fk’s , but have one of each. I’m not a collector like Mat but I would love to have a set of Osage.🤗

Adding jimping to my BFK. Pic is at a bad angle. Jimping is straight. It's a pretty slow process, but I think the juice will be worth the squeeze.
I'll have to sand the jimping to match the rest of the blade and may even need to refinish the entire knife. Fingers crossed it all goes well! View attachment 2262806

Did you get it finished?

Just finished the jimping on my BFK. I only put four sections because I prefer even numbers for some reason. OCD I guess.
Finished making sure it's all squared. Still need to do a little more hand sanding and then I'll do a new tumble finish.

It feels really comfortable. I had a hard time getting the photo to focus on the jimping so the pic isn't crystal clear.

I really like this knife!
View attachment 2271044View attachment 2271043
adluginb adluginb here's my previous post. I haven't had time to do anything beyond this.

adluginb adluginb here's my previous post. I haven't had time to do anything beyond this.
Perfect for a working blade! I have done that to a few of my Busse’s. Used a dremel with a cut off wheel in it (carefully). I like it much better on a keeper but realize that it hurts the value for the guys who collect them. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one where it had been added.

I traditionally like the Jimping but the ramp just might be plenty.
That also looks like more than 5/8” difference in blade length. I’ve seen 4 5/8 vs 5.5 in specs but somewhere I read Nathan say they were basically the same with an additional 5/8” added to the blade. Hoping it’s closer to an inch

I traditionally like the Jimping but the ramp just might be plenty.
That also looks like more than 5/8” difference in blade length. I’ve seen 4 5/8 vs 5.5 in specs but somewhere I read Nathan say they were basically the same with an additional 5/8” added to the blade. Hoping it’s closer to an inch
I'm getting closer to 3/4" or so, but maybe it's the angle 🤔 ...

View attachment 2287461

I was looking through some old photos from 2021 and came across these. I think they are worthy of reposting in this thread.

The BFK is an awesome tool. Congratulations to all who got in on the pre-order. Now the wait begin again…

i-TDPH25N-XL.jpg

i-WJ9rQ3m-XL.jpg

i-BbS6gPj-XL.jpg

Phil

Back