The Cheburkov Channel--Picture & Discussion Thread

First Cheb from Alex. As mentioned the detent was pretty stiff, mainly accentuated by the smaller flipper tab. So... skiff bearings were installed today, and the detent adjusted a bit lighter. Flouro grease and pivot lube applied, and I removed the backspacer. This one is probably closer to 3 oz now.

XxNnBT2.jpg

Ys3TjWk.jpg

First Cheb from Alex. As mentioned the detent was pretty stiff, mainly accentuated by the smaller flipper tab. So... skiff bearings were installed today, and the detent adjusted a bit lighter. Flouro grease and pivot lube applied, and I removed the backspacer. This one is probably closer to 3 oz now.

XxNnBT2.jpg

Ys3TjWk.jpg
Nice. I assume you were able to get the lock bar out to re-bend it. Mine seemed very resistant to removal and I didn't want to force it. Got a pic of the open back and what you used for a standoff?

Nice. I assume you were able to get the lock bar out to re-bend it. Mine seemed very resistant to removal and I didn't want to force it. Got a pic of the open back and what you used for a standoff?

The lockbar did come out after a little coaxing. I gently bent it back without too much crazy pressure. The detent still feels a little strong though, but I'm worried about bending the thing too far out of shape to cause lockup issues. Like you mentioned I believe the flipper tab is angled so small it fatigues the old finger after a bit. I'm going to leave the rest to break in. As far as the backspacer, the existing post that anchors the spacer is flanged allowing it to be re-used, that and the lanyard tab spacing into the scales measures up right. I like the open back and can keep an eye on the blade clearance better. Hard to believe this much knife weighs in around 3 oz.

Here's a pic.

bR4DFv5.jpg

The lockbar did come out after a little coaxing. I gently bent it back without too much crazy pressure. The detent still feels a little strong though, but I'm worried about bending the thing too far out of shape to cause lockup issues. Like you mentioned I believe the flipper tab is angled so small it fatigues the old finger after a bit. I'm going to leave the rest to break in. As far as the backspacer, the existing post that anchors the spacer is flanged allowing it to be re-used, that and the lanyard tab spacing into the scales measures up right. I like the open back and can keep an eye on the blade clearance better. Hard to believe this much knife weighs in around 3 oz.

Here's a pic.

bR4DFv5.jpg
Thanks for the reply and the pic. My Leader has broken in to be quite a bit better, but I still find the flipping action to be stiffer than I like. It still takes a couple practice flips when I first get it out for the day and there's that brief moment anytime I open it when I need to remember the proper technique for easier deployment.

I may take another crack at mine, being careful to re-bend only slightly as you did. I think I'll try leaving the backspacer out as well if I do, though I do wonder if having the corner of the lock bar tucked under it may help tie it in and take some of the strain off the two screws through the CF. I do like an open back much better for sure and I'd still have a lanyard attachment. I think I'll crack my Hudson Light too and see if there's a post similarly hidden within the rear of the backspacer attachment which would give me a lanyard attachment on that knife too.

Thanks for the reply and the pic. My Leader has broken in to be quite a bit better, but I still find the flipping action to be stiffer than I like. It still takes a couple practice flips when I first get it out for the day and there's that brief moment anytime I open it when I need to remember the proper technique for easier deployment.

That's funny. A couple of my Cheburkov knives have much weaker or less snappy detents than I like. They are frame locks though.

The Cheburkov liner locks I have are closer to just right.

That's funny. A couple of my Cheburkov knives have much weaker or less snappy detents than I like. They are frame locks though.

The Cheburkov liner locks I have are closer to just right.
I think we've had this discussion before. I really prefer a medium detent and a light switch flip. The only one of my Cheb's that gives me any trouble is the all-CF Leader, and that's despite the fact that I like the knife a lot. When it comes to action, to each his own, YMMV, and all that....

To follow up on my conversation with Wasatch11253 Wasatch11253 , I took my Hudson Light apart and pulled out the backspacer to see if It would function as an open back knife. Unfortunately there's no flanged post nor second pin at the rear and the screw bottoms out in the the receiver before the head hits The way it's set up is for the slabs to hit the backspacer before the screw bottoms out. A separate standoff of the same dimension as the backspacer with a clearance hole for the receiver would make it work, so I just put the knife back together stock for now.

I might play around with the Leader after supper, but could leave it for another day.

Last edited:
I did play around with the Leader right after supper, well right after I got the marinade off my fingers. This knife and the Hudson are so simple to dis- and re-assemble, the only difficulty being the fits are so tight that it can be hard to pull close fitting pieces apart. Anyway, after removing the backspacer I got the lock bar free easily enough, after Wasatch11253 Wasatch11253 's post gave me more confidence, and gave it a bit of a bend. The knife went right back together easily sans backspacer and the flipping action was just lighter enough that I could deploy without thought, hesitation, or over-taxing my finger.

I did one more partial disassembly when I noticed the lockbar was a little proud of its recess in the CF. I snugged down the two little screws under the clip that hold the lock bar in place a bit more as I was initially reluctant to over tighten as they have so little purchase, It's nice and flush now, the knife is greatly improved both for its construction and flipping action, and I'm grateful that our friend shared his simple mods for one of my favorite knives. :D

Edit: The Leader was about 3.375 oz with the backspacer and is now 3.125 with it gone.

1684716021720.jpeg

1684716198944.jpeg

I did play around with the Leader right after supper, well right after I got the marinade off my fingers. This knife and the Hudson are so simple to dis- and re-assemble, the only difficulty being the fits are so tight that it can be hard to pull close fitting pieces apart. Anyway, after removing the backspacer I got the lock bar free easily enough, after Wasatch11253 Wasatch11253 's post gave me more confidence, and gave it a bit of a bend. The knife went right back together easily sans backspacer and the flipping action was just lighter enough that I could deploy without thought, hesitation, or over-taxing my finger.

I did one more partial disassembly when I noticed the lockbar was a little proud of its recess in the CF. I snugged down the two little screws under the clip that hold the lock bar in place a bit more as I was initially reluctant to over tighten as they have so little purchase, It's nice and flush now, the knife is greatly improved both for its construction and flipping action, and I'm grateful that our friend shared his simple mods for one of my favorite knives. :D

Edit: The Leader was about 3.375 oz with the backspacer and is now 3.125 with it gone.

View attachment 2193763

View attachment 2193766

Glad that worked out. After seeing your Hudson I'm going to try and track one down. Breathtaking Steel has them, though they have bronze hardware and I prefer the regular steel/titanium bits. It's cool to see them as they become available for sure. That and the Biryukov knives there look very interesting.

Glad that worked out. After seeing your Hudson I'm going to try and track one down. Breathtaking Steel has them, though they have bronze hardware and I prefer the regular steel/titanium bits. It's cool to see them as they become available for sure. That and the Biryukov knives there look very interesting.
Both Cheburkov and Biryukov are nice knives. I met the owner of Breathtaking Steel last August at the GAKC knife show in St. Louis. I actually convinced him to join Bladeforums as a dealer.

Great guy, handled several of his knives, and bought two, one Cheburkov Strizh and one Biryukov #12.

Last edited:
Both Cheburkov and Biryukov are nice knives. I met the owner of Breathtaking Steel last August at the GAKC knife show in St. Louis. I actually convinced him to join Bladeforums as a dealer.

Great guy, handled several of his knives, snd bought two, one Cheburkov Strizh and one Biryukov #12.

That was you? Fantastic! I was glad that we could finally start recommending him out loud here.

He's a great guy and his customer service is top notch.

That was you? Fantastic! I was glad that we could finally start recommending him out loud here.

He's a great guy and his customer service is top notch.
Yeah I talked to him for probably half an hour, at least. He had been thinking about it already. I told him about the Cheburkov thread, and that convinced him. He already had a BF membership but had just been lurking. It was a few weeks later he joined as a dealer.

Great guy, handled several of his knives, and bought two, one Cheburkov Strizh and one Biryukov #12.
I discovered his site a bit a ago and bought a couple of small sparrows and a Colibre. I just love the full carbon fiber Small Sparrow ( I think it is the same as the Strizh)., in fact if I don't get another soon my son will steal mine as he lusts over it.

I discovered his site a bit a ago and bought a couple of small sparrows and a Colibre. I just love the full carbon fiber Small Sparrow ( I think it is the same as the Strizh)., in fact if I don't get another soon my son will steal mine as he lusts over it.
Yes sparrow/strizh. I have the large full carbon fiber. I like the looks of the scout with wood inlay.

Back