Venting re: CruCarta Manix 2 Pre-order

Mad Bofo

Gold Member
Am I the only one that finds it annoying that pre-orders for the CruCarta Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL went live in October 2023 but we haven’t heard a peep from Spyderco or any of its online retailers taking those preorders in terms of timing, or otherwise, since the initial preorders went live? I think this is a horrible way to to business, and I find it insulting as a customer.

Easy solution: don't buy them. I bet you didn't pre-order from Spyderco, they know better than to put up pre-orders for things they don't have ready to ship. They don't have any control over what the dealers do, though.

Easy solution: don't buy them. I bet you didn't pre-order from Spyderco, they know better than to put up pre-orders for things they don't have ready to ship. They don't have any control over what the dealers do, though.
I would think Spyderco would have an enforceable agreement with its online retailers/distributes to not accept preorders for future releases at some TBD date. It makes both the online retailer and Spyderco look bad imo.

Hi Mad Bofo,

Spyderco doesn't take pre-orders.

Spyderco doesn't have that option or power over our dealers.

Sal
Fair enough. Thanks, Sal. At least I know it’s a thing that Blade HQ does and not Spyderco. It’s lame of them (BHQ) to keep customers waiting on the hook with no updates whatsoever.

I have no problem pre-ordering when I don't have to pay upfront. And I don't really count the $5 that BladeHQ charges.

The benefit is that once they do drop, and the word gets out instantly on social media, your pre-order is already among the first in line to ship before they sell out in a day. So your knife is in the mail while everyone else is already complaining that they can't get one.

Can't wait to get my PM2 Salt in Magnacut. Pre-order is in. 🤗

I have no problem pre-ordering when I don't have to pay upfront. And I don't really count the $5 that BladeHQ charges.

The benefit is that once they do drop, and the word gets out instantly on social media, your pre-order is already among the first in line to ship before they sell out in a day. So your knife is in the mail while everyone else is already complaining that they can't get one.

Can't wait to get my PM2 Salt in Magnacut. Pre-order is in. 🤗
That’s why I haven’t cancelled my pre-order. I love Spyderco’s. Especially the Manix 2.

I want one too and almost pre-ordered. I have however, learned my lesson. I just sign-up for alerts from my preferred online sellers. I find I can usually snag one. I’ve seen vendors take too many pre-orders and not get enough inventory to cover them… no thanks! I feel it’s a bad practice.

I've come close to preordering the bodacious several times. If it was a lefty I would have but I'm just being patient as best I can. Supply chain issues being what they are and issues with a lot of people not wanting to work for a living these days patience is about the best option.

I want one too and almost pre-ordered. I have however, learned my lesson. I just sign-up for alerts from my preferred online sellers. I find I can usually snag one. I’ve seen vendors take too many pre-orders and not get enough inventory to cover them… no thanks! I feel it’s a bad practice.
Exactly. Thank you!

Right?! Why is no one talking about this?
My guess on why no one is talking about it is because it's like every other knife deal - you get it when you get it. If you need a lesson in this principle, you can go and order a Bark River knife thru DLT and learn to wait it out.

My thinking here was that if we could get an answer on the wait and its causes for it from as good of a source as Mr. Glesser, we would at least be among the exceptionally well informed. I find that knowing why I'm waiting can make the wait not as bad. And having a projected shipping date would make it even better.

This is the world we live in now. I waited for 15 months for a part to put my ford back on the road.

If the plants have a shortage of something the run is on hold until they get enough to release a batch. How mad would people be if they released 700 and stopped until they could source the rest of the parts. Things would not turn out well.

I'll get my Bodacious when they are released no sooner. I think you're in the same boat

Back