Wallet alternatives?

Back in 1994 as a college student. I went by Dillards and bought a Dooney and Bourke card holder. At the time is was expensive. $50(?). It's big enough to hold cash a few cards.

Fast forward to 2024 and it's finally falling apart. Looking to replace it. I found they no longer make it like the one I have.

The only way is finding someone with new old stock for the only real wallet I've had in life. Not counting those 1980's Velcro wallets.

You are wrong. Sorry. Minimalist wallets take up much less space. Yes, they force you to leave some cards at home (how many of your cards are really necessary on a daily basis? Most men carry lots of cards, like social security, etc. but how often do you really need those? And you can photograph those cards so they are available on your phone.
Perhaps a bit off topic but the Social Security Administration advises the user not to carry the card on their person.

I understand the reasons for that but I have to wonder why they issue it in the form of a “card” if they don’t want you to carry it.

I lost my original SS card in a mobile home fire in 1980. I never replaced it because I never had the need to show the actual card to anyone. I recently retired and finally renewed the card after 43 years. To this day, I still have never had to present the actual card to anyone.

Perhaps a bit off topic but the Social Security Administration advises the user not to carry the card on their person.

I understand the reasons for that but I have to wonder why they issue it in the form of a “card” if they don’t want you to carry it.

I lost my original SS card in a mobile home fire in 1980. I never replaced it because I never had the need to show the actual card to anyone. I recently retired and finally renewed the card after 43 years. To this day, I still have never had to present the actual card to anyone.

To convert my driver's license to RealID you had to present 2 forms of ID, of which they recommend your Social Security card. That is when I found out that they would not issue the ID if the names didn't match exactly. One ID had my middle initial, the other didn't. Off to the Social Security office to have my name adjusted and a new card issued. 😖

To convert my driver's license to RealID you had to present 2 forms of ID, of which they recommend your Social Security card. That is when I found out that they would not issue the ID if the names didn't match exactly. One ID had my middle initial, the other didn't. Off to the Social Security office to have my name adjusted and a new card issued. 😖
It was quite difficult for me to find documents to match the requirements.

Like the allet, I've had a Wa-Ben for a long time and it's gone really well. some of the sailcloths don't wear as well as leather, but plus or minus a decade, who cares?
Some of the All-Etts now have leather on the outside for increased wear resistance, and some have RFID shielding. My father retired his Costanza model for one (ironically after I'd already given him a leather All-Ett he never used and had put in a random drawer, which both of us had forgotten) until back pain made him switch.

I currently use one of these, but given the increasing number of cards I find myself burdened with, may switch to a leather RFID-proof All-Ett of my own.

Last edited:
Been loving Horweens Natural Latigo lately.

All scuffs seem to just rub out and it patinas nicely.

IMG_8398.jpeg

Been building these for years. Two models. What we call a Card Wallet. This is what I've personally carried in my left front pocket since we first came up with the idea. I've compltely fired the old bifold or trifold deal. Just a few cards that ya need and a lil cash.

PgkH7YN.jpg

The other version is really just a modification that has a magnetic money clip for cash.

60LBQIF.jpg

exxssZp.jpg

While typing this I was trying to figure out how long I'd been carrying this type of wallet. Best I can come up with is ten to twelve years. Never once did I go to the safe and get the bifold out, nor have I needed any of that stuff I use to think I did and carried around with me.

Back