K20 | Picture Gallery

The wood I acquired for this project was purchased over a year ago and was already dry. But the yields from that wood was much lower than I had expected and demand for the wood was much more than I expected

The wood that I acquired for the balance of the order has been here for a while. It is continuing to lose weight which means it's not ready to be made into scales yet. (Moisture meters don't work well on wood this hard, so we use a precision laboratory scale to monitor weight loss over time which is a good indicator of when the wood is ready. When the weight starts to oscillate, meaning sometimes it puts on weight, it's ready)

We cut it up into smaller scale size pieces a couple months ago to speed the process, but there's really only so much I can do.

This means the majority of the wood for the scales is not going to be ready to be made into scales until after the turn of the year. Unfortunately.

Since all of the swords come with TT scales, we can go ahead and ship everyone's swords and ship the wooden scales later. That's an option.

However if a person would prefer to wait until their wooden scales are ready and have their sword assembled with the wood scales, that is also an option. We are going to need to communicate with people individually and determine their preference.

I apologize for this oversight. I miscalculated.

Yeah, these really turned out really well. After the difficulties with the K18, I was afraid doing a long skinny blade like this with our heat treat process but we did some development work with Peters with the fixturing and have developed a process for keeping these straight.

Machining the K18 was a real bear, fixturing a complex multi-sided piece like this and getting everything just right is tricky.

I really exceeded my own expectations on this one. It's such a relief these turned out so well, I'm very proud of our accomplishment with this one. Some of our finest work.

Back