Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

1132, I like the video of you splitting wood with that Plumb Hatchett. I was watching a "Bushcrafter" video on you Tube and the man was using a hatchet to split wood, then he switched to "Battoning" with a knife, using the Hatchet to Hammer onto the back of the knife. My immediate thought was why switch? I often get the feeling that Bushcrafters are "Playing" and battening is a must for them. John
Thanks mate, I couldn't agree with you more.
John, I think "bushcraft" people often go out of there way to do jobs with there knife just for the sake of using a knife. I'm an advocate of using a swiss army knife for jobs to save time but if a job needs to be done properly and you have the tools at hand why not use the right tool?
I wasn't sure what to call my axe. Hatchet must be the correct terminology, thanks. I found it on a rubbish pile on a farm near by with a steel pipe as a handle.

Post in thread 'Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread' https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/axe-tomahawk-hatchet-photo-thread.940981/post-19850781

Dan 🦘🇦🇺

That’s a beauty, Rat. I’m ordinarily hard over against curved handles on my users, but I really like the profile on that one.

Did you ever get your Hudson’s Bay hatchet?

Parker

Very nice !! what are we looking at here ? what is the handle ?
It's a 2 kilogram Cyclone (nothing special) that I made a handle for out of Yellow Box, a variety of eucalyptus. I evenly flamed it then sanded it back smooth as anything. Funnily enough the fire wood in the back ground is Yellow Box too, a slow growing tree with gnarly grain structure.

Dan 🦘🇦🇺

It's a 2 kilogram Cyclone (nothing special) that I made a handle for out of Yellow Box, a variety of eucalyptus. I evenly flamed it then sanded it back smooth as anything. Funnily enough the fire wood in the back ground is Yellow Box too, a slow growing tree with gnarly grain structure.

Dan 🦘🇦🇺
Thanks for the info. looks good !

Some of the axes being used to hew the timbers needed to rebuild the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris.
Notre%20Dame%20axes.jpg

I saw a video on the carpenters who were hewing the wood to be used for the frames/girders in the Cathedral of Notre Dame, some of the best from all over France and how they selected the trees to be used. Of course now that I am looking for it again I cannot find it (weak Google-Fu!) John

I saw a video on the carpenters who were hewing the wood to be used for the frames/girders in the Cathedral of Notre Dame, some of the best from all over France and how they selected the trees to be used. Of course now that I am looking for it again I cannot find it (weak Google-Fu!) John
I saw that video as well.

I was thrilled that they were able to find, and willing to sacrifice enough old growth oak trees to rebuild it as it was. I figured they would import Douglas fir timbers from British Columbia.

rdjankert, That is also a good one but not the one I saw. The one I saw was 20-25 men and several women working in an open field and they actually made a full size upside down "V" frame as shown in that model. John

What kind of wood did you use for the handle and wedge? It is a thing of beauty.
First of all thank you 😁. It's a great splitter.
I know the timber as "Scrub mahogany" but it was commercially sold as Kwila. It's a rainforest timber that was commonly used for door jambs because of its durability. The wedge is Radiata pine. I was a carpenter for many years and I stashed any useful offcuts in my shed for a rainy day.
Dan 🦘🇦🇺

Thank you Dan, I did a little reading about "Kwila". Very interesting wood, and many uses. I am a retired plumber, and I have a friend in Brisbane who is a retired cement finisher. The internet makes this a very small world. I built a shave horse, and hope to make some axe handles. Hope this isn't off topic.
1V0w9Ya.jpg

Terry

Thank you Dan, I did a little reading about "Kwila". Very interesting wood, and many uses. I am a retired plumber, and I have a friend in Brisbane who is a retired cement finisher. The internet makes this a very small world. I built a shave horse, and hope to make some axe handles. Hope this isn't off topic.
1V0w9Ya.jpg

Terry
Great job mate! Can't wait to see your axe handles Terry. 👍🏻👍🏻
It's definitely a small world.

1V0w9Ya.jpg

Terry

Great piece of craftsmanship right there!!! Nice job!!!👍

Back