Chris Reeve Knives History Timeline To Date & Blade Steel Timeline

The P was to indicate that Sebenzas were now Production, instead of Handmade. The first few hundred had numbers. P1, P2, etc. After that, they just had the P for a while without the number. Shortly after that, CRK dropped the P altogether, but the design of the knife didn't change until 1996 when the design we call the Regular was released. All Originals were made with ATS-34 steel.

Thanks Long_Wolfe! So based on your explanation, may I assume that Original Sebenza was actually the P series without the P mark, and it's not a real series but more like a title?

Thanks Long_Wolfe! So based on your explanation, may I assume that Original Sebenza was actually the P series without the P mark, and it's not a real series but more like a title?

The original is the first style of Sebenza they made. All the numbered P's, un-numbered P's and non-P originals were the same knife. We call them Originals to designate which style they were, so as not to confuse them with the Regulars that came out later.

A numbered P..

P68Arrival10_zpssjr9niw5.jpg~original

An un-numbered P..

MorseCode2_zpsqv4475zk.jpg~original

And a non-P...

SmallOriginal_zpsgbhsi25c.jpg~original

Last edited:
Reactions: P2P
The original is the first style of Sebenza they made. All the numbered P's, un-numbered P's and non-P originals were the same knife. We call them Originals to designate which style they were, so as not to confuse them with the Regulars that came out later.

Thanks dude, all clear now!

CRK RC Hardness Update:

This is a moment where CRK has to take a humble "cap in hand" and apologize for a failure of communication between our technical side and our customer service side. Yes, around mid-2013, the RC hardness on all the folding knives (Damascus excluded) was changed from 58-59 to 59-60. Our guarantee cards, brochure and website did not reflect that change. We are not happy about this lack of communication and are in the process of updating the relative published material.

Chris made the decision after reviewing the performance of S35VN at both hardnesses. He has always been a proponent of a slightly lower HRC to ensure shock absorbency and ease of sharpening. When he was convinced that blades at 59-60 would perform extremely well and meet all of his criteria, the change was gradually implemented. Bear in mind this is a possible spread of only 3% and a likely change of only 1% in the hardness and not a major change at all.

Anne

Had the pleasure of checking out large Sebenza serial #21 today, that is owned by a friend here in South Africa. He bought it directly from Chris, and had about 6 of the early hollow handles too.
It wasn't even called a Sebenza back them...Titanium folder? possibly....I saw the card but was too busy having a heart attack over the other 1983 and 1984 knives on my desk.
Will try and get some pics.

An article on a rare bird, the Morse Code Sebenza.

DXeBGtNh.jpg

exMBLxah.jpg

Last edited:
Yours looks great! I wish CRK would do a correctly spelled CGG like is mentioned in the article.

Thanks LW! I have an entire dollar that says the one you own is the same one pictured in the article.

Back