Chris Reeve Knives History Timeline To Date & Blade Steel Timeline

I tried searching it throughout the forum with no luck. When did CRK phase out the flat style clip for their current improved "double grab" style clip on the sebenza?

I tried searching it throughout the forum with no luck. When did CRK phase out the flat style clip for their current improved "double grab" style clip on the sebenza?

During the BG-42 steel era. Not sure of the actual month and year though. Will have to see what I can find. I have and have had both BG-42 with both clips for confirmation of that.

It was in mid 2001 that the clip style changed.

Hmm, kinda concerning. I have no concerns about the legitimacy of any of the knives, themselves, but maybe the clips????. I recently got a small lefty reg s30v stamped A03 with a flat clip. I already possessed a UG large reg s30v stamped D02 with a flat clip, and a bg42 rh small reg stamped B00 small reg with a flat clip.

Is it possible they were still releasing a few after your described time frame?

Large UG s30v Stamped D02
c91042ea-2af8-470b-b272-9afcb00a010f_zpsvqyz4xjl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Left- Lefty small reg s30v Stamped A03
Right- Small reg bg42 Stamped B00
d63d2148-f72d-42e8-8bd1-e72db121b527_zpstneexc3s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
*edit: the camera angle makes one knife appear bigger than the other. These two knives are exactly the same size and the clips are identical. When I was questioning why this 03 has a flat clip, I removed both and held them up only to find that they are completely identical in size, bends, and texture.

Kinda interesting as well. Normally the date codes I have seen, albeit on all righty's, are stamped towards the spine of the knife closer to the spacer... whereas on this lefty it is stamped towards the bottom lock-bar side. Possibly for manufacturing/stamping purposes.

Last edited:
Hmm, kinda concerning. I have no concerns about the legitimacy of any of the knives, themselves, but maybe the clips????. I recently got a small lefty reg s30v stamped A03 with a flat clip. I already possessed a UG large reg s30v stamped D02 with a flat clip, and a bg42 rh small reg stamped B00 small reg with a flat clip.

Is it possible they were still releasing a few after your described time frame?

Large UG s30v Stamped D02
c91042ea-2af8-470b-b272-9afcb00a010f_zpsvqyz4xjl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Left- Lefty small reg s30v Stamped A03
Right- Small reg bg42 Stamped B00
d63d2148-f72d-42e8-8bd1-e72db121b527_zpstneexc3s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
*edit: the camera angle makes one knife appear bigger than the other. These two knives are exactly the same size and the clips are identical. When I was questioning why this 03 has a flat clip, I removed both and held them up only to find that they are completely identical in size, bends, and texture.

Kinda interesting as well. Normally the date codes I have seen, albeit on all righty's, are stamped towards the spine of the knife closer to the spacer... whereas on this lefty it is stamped towards the bottom lock-bar side. Possibly for manufacturing/stamping purposes.

I am sure they had some left over. Plus it could have been a special request. Just like with the One Piece Knives, some USA have hex caps while others the round caps. It's what they had left and once used up they went with the newer style. Both of yours are genuine if that's the concern. My timeline is a general reference for the knives themselves and model dates. I did not ask CRK when a clip was changed, when a stop pin was changed, when a lanyard was changed, etc. I am eternally grateful with what they have provided me and will leave it at that. I have both, but most of my flat clip are BG-42. I will not that this was near the end of the BG-42 run and a year later were transitioning to S30V. So it makes even more sense.

Here is one that you may not have seen before.

Chris made a bunch of these for me in late 85. I called them "The Sting" and sold them for the princely sum of 45 GBP each. Hand ground by Chris from 440B. These were a basic version of his custom boot knife.

This one I gifted to a friend in Durban over 20 years ago. I visited him this past weekend and he pulled it out.......lots of memories.

The sheath is original.

IMG_1384_zpsy1w89jok.jpg

I am sure they had some left over. Plus it could have been a special request. Just like with the One Piece Knives, some USA have hex caps while others the round caps. It's what they had left and once used up they went with the newer style. Both of yours are genuine if that's the concern. My timeline is a general reference for the knives themselves and model dates. I did not ask CRK when a clip was changed, when a stop pin was changed, when a lanyard was changed, etc. I am eternally grateful with what they have provided me and will leave it at that. I have both, but most of my flat clip are BG-42. I will not that this was near the end of the BG-42 run and a year later were transitioning to S30V. So it makes even more sense.

Thank you. It wasn't a major concern or scaring me for any reason. Personally, I liked that it matched my righty. I just thought it was a fun continued discussion of CRK history and at what point they made changes. Your timeline is impeccable. I just thought it kinda fit into this thread.

Or possibly a previous owner switching them out? Like every other change CRK makes, people insist the old version was better. Makes me suspect someone swapped the clips themselves.

I just Updated the Mnandi type list with Umzimbeet, Thuya, Spalted Beech and Bog Oak

Inviato da mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk HD

Just a little help for us Mnandi Collectors, following the variety of damascus, blade Steel and Inlay
If something is missing let me know and I will update here the list. Thank you.

Blade
B&W Snakeskin Damascus
Raindrop Damascus
Ladder Damascus
Bubblewrap Damascus
B&W Zebra Damascus
Colored Zebra Damascus
Spirograph Damascus
Vine and Roses Damascus
Sharktooth Damascus
S30V
River of Fire Damascus
Reptilian Damascus
Basketwave Damascus
S35VN
BG42

____

Inlay
Mammoth Ivory Gold & Diamond
Wood Gold & Diamond
Camel Thorn
Black Palm
Mesquite
Lignum Vitae
African Blackwood
Box Elder
Desert Ironwood
Snakewood
Mammoth Ivory
Mammoth Bark
Black Died Amboyna
Bloodwood
Cocobolo
Ziricote
Tamboti
Honduran Rosewood
Gabon Ebony
Bocote
Madagascar Rosewood
Jigged Madagascar Rosewood
Walnut
Macassar Ebony
Syringa
Giraffe Bone
Ebony
Redwood
Pink Ivory Wood
Sneezewood
Black Ash Burl
Sheephorn
Buffalo Horn
Lacewood
Umzimbeet
Spalted beech
Thuya
Bog Oak

Indian Rosewood.

Not my knife or pic...

attachment.php

Thank you!
But how many woods did they used?
If seems an endless story

Inviato da mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk HD

Thank you!
But how many woods did they used?
If seems an endless story

I'm betting they used a lot more than we know about. It wouldn't be hard at all for Chris to have gotten small samples or various woods and just make a few from each. Handwritten birthcards and no real tracking of numbers would make it simple.

Here is one that you may not have seen before.

Chris made a bunch of these for me in late 85. I called them "The Sting" and sold them for the princely sum of 45 GBP each. Hand ground by Chris from 440B. These were a basic version of his custom boot knife.

This one I gifted to a friend in Durban over 20 years ago. I visited him this past weekend and he pulled it out.......lots of memories.

The sheath is original.

IMG_1384_zpsy1w89jok.jpg

That piece is beautiful.
Could you put more photos ?.
Thank you.

Looks to be around 2000ish. I see the one some of us know as Galaxy is really called Solar Wind.

At the risk of being presumptuous, I felt that this list should be part of the CRK history sticky for reference by all. With the help of several of members here as well as Anne Reeve, Sigifrith and I have compiled this list of CRK Annual LE inlays. These have all been either found online by one of us, personally witnessed, or have been verified from documentation provided by CRK (thanks Anne). There may still be gaps in the list, so if anyone reading this has additional information, please contact either Sigifrith or myself.

Year Inlays Available

1999 - California Buckeye; Dyed California Buckeye; Box Elder; Dyed Maple Burl; Spalted Maple Burl
Black Walnut

2000 - Desert Ironwood; African Blackwood; California Buckeye; Maple Burl, Giraffe Bone

2001 - California Buckeye; Maple Burl; Desert Ironwood; Bocote; Curly Maple

2002 - California Buckeye; Desert Ironwood; Box Elder; Ebony

2003 - Curly Maple; Bocote; California Buckeye; Box Elder Burl; Redwood Burl; Maple Burl; Snakewood, Desert Ironwood, Spalted Maple, Walnut, Macassar Ebony, Mammoth

2004 - California Buckeye; Maple Burl; Snakewood; Ebony; Redwood Burl; Bocote; Box Elder; Desert Ironwood; Mammoth; Walnut; Spalted Maple; Curly Maple; Black Palm, Giraffe Bone

2005 - Snakewood; Desert Ironwood; Amboyna; Box Elder Burl; Black Palm; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); Redwood, California Buckeye, Black Ash, Walnut, Thuya; Spalted Maple

2006 - Redwood Burl; California Buckeye; Snakewood; Box Elder Burl; Maka; Spalted Maple, Black Ash; Mammoth Ivory (Bark), Mammoth Ivory (Interior); Walnut, Amboyna

2007 - Black Palm; American Plane; Amboyna; Walnut; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); California Buckeye, Box Elder, Thuya, Snakewood, Redwood, Spalted Maple

2008 - Bubinga; Satinwood; Mammoth Ivory (Interior)

2009 - Thuya; Box Elder Burl

2010 - Spalted Maple; Camphor

2011 - Wenge (with 18K Gold and Silver accents)

Updates to 2000 and 2004...

Giraffe%20inlay%202004_zpscbzhlklv.jpg~original

Last edited:
I have a hollow handle with a saw back. Seems to be in very good condition. I'll try to post some photos. Its in my SDB now. Are these Chris Reeves knives collectable?

Back