Cruwear/Thanks Brand, Bad Ass Slicer Give Away

The last member who currently has the Long Paw Slicer AKA, "Bad Ass"
Is doing some edge retention tests, maybe some YouTube videos? Hopefully he posts them.....Hopefully the knife does Ok? Haha.

Picture of edge

Zoomed in

@Tjstampa
Here is his quote:
"So I sharpened it on my edgepro using the gritomatic plates of 250 500 and 1500. I redid the Bess test and it came out at 121. I did not believe it, and the second test in the same spot was 127. I have never scored a knife this low. The picture posted a lot grainier than it shows on my Computer"

*Edit/Me: Idk what any of This means, haha..
But it might be Sharp....?

*Please be Careful

I had to look up the Bess Sharpness test and what different scores mean, and it looks like 121/127 are what I would consider Scary Sharp. Those scores (the number of grams needed to cut through a standard medium) are right between a utility razor and a double edge shaving razor. Literally sharp enough to reasonably shave your face (if you were feeling confident in your skills).

I'm not gold or higher lately but I would love a chance. I definitely would keep you posted, I have been meaning to write up a couple reviews as I have had some thoughts on a few different knives and I would love an opportunity to see how a knife of that steel and heat treat would stack up. If I don't qualify I completely understand and I thank you for being such an active member of the blade forums!!

I'm not gold or higher lately but I would love a chance. I definitely would keep you posted, I have been meaning to write up a couple reviews as I have had some thoughts on a few different knives and I would love an opportunity to see how a knife of that steel and heat treat would stack up. If I don't qualify I completely understand and I thank you for being such an active member of the blade forums!!

I checked out your page, you look good, over 1k messages!

How about I put you in, if you win you Upgrade? :D
Haha.....Idk If I can say THAT?

I am IN and thanks for doing this!

vPJw93V.jpeg

What were the final specs on this? That thread you linked was 18 pages long and I didn't see them listed. I saw a picture during the fix that looked like a little over 5" for the blade; but I think that was before final grind and sharpening. Couldn't quite tell with the handle because of the angle.
Blade thickness about 0.1"?.
Not an entry, YET. (I need to know if it's something I would carry/use before joining the party)

Most generous!!! I'd like to see before and after pics as you clean it up if any is necessaryšŸ¤”..

NOT AN ENTRY!

I'd use the hell out of it but you'd have to just believe mešŸ˜œ......SO....... I'm out......

Good luck all......

You bring up a Very good point...... before and after clean up. ???

I just got the knife back yesterday after work. It looks great all things considering.
I was really worried about how some things had happened in use/testing..... but it looks really good.

I'm having a philosophical debate with myself....
Do I make it as good again as I can get?
Do I fix the "issues" as best as I can?
Do I release it as is.... it has Alot of history on it.

namely... the heel area, the micarta got damaged. The owner at that time did a really nice job of sanding down the rough, chipped area. We did this so the testing could continue and we could keep passing on to the next person...... (Do I fix this area, adjust/balance the opposite side?) If i do this I would probably sand the red/white liners and clean them up, and make them like new again? And maybe soften the handle flats, giving them more contours...... idk???

I'm up for opinions.... from New people, and those that have used/seen it.
*Nobody has complained.

maybe we need a poll....

1. Leave it as is.... Just wash, clean up, and make sure it's good and sharp! Ship. Least invasive.
2. Spa day (sharpen, sand/clean liners, thin edges even More) Leave lop sided micarta near index finger alone.... it's Pass Around Character.
3. Fix handle Completely.. give it a new look clean, sand, contour as much as I can. Change the look and feel. (but this takes away the history)
4. Take handle off, raffle winner gets to decide new look.
5. Keep this wonderful knife for myself, cancel raffle..... Hahha!

What were the final specs on this? That thread you linked was 18 pages long and I didn't see them listed. I saw a picture during the fix that looked like a little over 5" for the blade; but I think that was before final grind and sharpening. Couldn't quite tell with the handle because of the angle.
Blade thickness about 0.1"?.
Not an entry, YET. (I need to know if it's something I would carry/use before joining the party)

I'll have to get back to you... I'm at work.
This morning I measured the spine thickness. I was surprised how ridged and beefy this blade is for how thin is it.
*I'm a fan of thin knives, they just Cut better. They do. It's been almost a year since I've seen/held it. I missed it. and will Have to make it again!

I wasn't planning on remembering, so I didn't commit it right, but I believe it it around .105" at the spine (I just was checking to see if it was an 1/8" or less? It's less.

When I First started making it, I made the edge wispy thin. It was screaming sharp! maybe the sharpest knife in the world, I Don't know? But I broke that edge.... kind of on purpose. The pics are in the first few pages of that post. Don't do what I did.

I re ground that broken/chipped edge to a Beefy edge of .015" (it's actually around .012 -0.015", and closer to .020" near the tip.

I did that so it could survive the Pass around.
*Knives that I make for people, I try to leave my shop less than .015" (I shoot for 10-12 thou, bte)
Depending on what it is..... but I want to be known for tough/Sharp stuff..... not bricks.

Lots of people thought of this knife as a pseudo chef's knife.... I didn't intend on it being a kitchen knife.

My thoughts are its a
Work Knife
Chore Knife
Farm Knife
Full sized handle edc (for large hands)
I'd totally carry this knife for doing almost everything. In my opinion, and others mentioned too, that it truely is a one knife carry for all your needs. Not too big, not too small.

It can pretty much do most things, but it's not a prybar.

I wasn't planning on remembering, so I didn't commit it right, but I believe it it around .105" at the spine
I saw in the other thread where you said 106". I figured you meant .106; but that was after the break and you still had some prettying up to do on the grinds, so I just went with 0.1 to keep it simple.
I've been liking cruwear (and, yes, mine have some patina); *edited*
Now that you've posted the length, I'm going to bow out of this. It isn't that I'm disinterested; but, while the numbers appeal to me, I suspect I wouldn't carry it often, and would probably use it less. I think the spirit of the giveaway would be best served with it in somebody else's hands.

Last edited:
I vote for 3, a handle makeover, if you are up for it. If not, just a spa day. I think that changing the handle a little based on the feedback from the pass around is a good way to use that history that the knife built up and use the wisdom of the forum for good. :) But, if you dont want to that is just fine. This is already REALLY generous of you!

I saw in the other thread where you said 106". I figured you meant .106; but that was after the break and you still had some prettying up to do on the grinds, so I just went with 0.1 to keep it simple.
I've been liking cruwear (and, yes, mine have some patina); so I'll just say thank you for the opportunity and bow out if the other specs don't work for me. (If I forget, and get lucky, I can always ship it off to somebody else from the thread if I decide it's not getting enough use here)
Your required use...... do you want the numbers to be on the Bigger side, or smaller side? hahha.

I know some generous reviewers posted some pics of It, next to More well known and bladeforums famous knives..... I'll see if I can borrow/copy/post a couple images.

Back