Discussion On Hostile Environments (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
very interesting. the thing is, all our actions are directly linked to these events, and that's what people tend to miss. stop driving your 4x4, buy a bicycle, buy locally grown/farmed produce, stop consuming and these events are totally avoidable. and your life will be a lot better for it.

I support the one local store here who supports local farmers. My family all grow little gardens every year with a few vegetables, and I have been clearing more land this autumn and winter. They recently tried to pass a law here requiring home owners to have permits to have back yard gardens. Luckily it didn't fly...or at least not yet anyway.

As for riding a bike, that really isn't a viable option for my work related travels. Most of the time I am either transporting a lot of tools and materials, or several pounds of electronics.

While this area is becoming more bicycle-friendly...

IMG_4157.jpg

We even have what is, the last time I saw the stats, the world's second longest pedestrian bridge for people to cross the river on bikes or on foot without dealing with vehicle traffic. They converted our oldest bridge rather that tear it down when it became too outdated for modern vehicle traffic.

DSC_7096.jpg

DSC_7205cropped.jpg

Bikes and parts of bikes are becoming more common.

DSC_8310.jpg

DSC_8311.jpg

DSC_8309.jpg

But this area has a lot of hills

DSC_7844.jpg

DSC_8403cropped.jpg

DSC_8398.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

and being in a temperate rain forest it is often wet...and the snow when it comes only makes matters worse.

IMG_3173-1.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

DSC_7466.jpg

We do have a decent mass transit system in place here and they are even experimenting with hybrid buses.

IMG_4082.jpg

There is a free shuttle system that runs downtown. There are three parking garages for it, one at each end of town and one on the north shore. The shuttle runs from 6:30 am till 11:00 pm through the week.

IMG_4098.jpg

DSC_8273cropped.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4156.jpg

There are even Republic parking lots in other places along the routs...lots of Republic parking lots actually.

DSC_8456.jpg

The shuttles run on large battery banks that give them about 7 hours of run time per charge.

IMG_4099.jpg

They are not very big, but very handy in the wet weather we have so much of.

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

Then there are many factors I am not liking about our current electronic and internet dependency. I am watching mom and pop book stores drop like flies lately. This one was where I ordered my first copy of the World's Most Dangerous Places, and the manager was a major RYP fan. I'm regretting all the books I've bought off of the net.

DSC_8314.jpg

DSC_8303.jpg

The ones left that aren't corporate do more than books. This lady makes fudge and weaves wool as well, but thanks to less competition her prices can get pretty high. She does have a large selection of older books, just don't go looking for bargains for accents.

DSC_8334.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

Another thing is the self checkouts where multiple stations are overseen by one clerk. I'm not sure I like where this is going.

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

If all this plays out to a logical end years down the road what are we left with? It's bad enough when the credit card machines are down at the stores now...which does happen several times a year here now. What will we be left with if there are long term interruptions in the flow of electricity and internet we have become so dependant on?

IMG_3894.jpg

Mist my fellow brother, thought provoking as ever. The spectrum of articles on this forum never ceases to amaze me, from a seemingly world wide crisis because a folder is running a wee bit late being shipped, to real world subjects that maybe we should be worrying about instead. I have lived thru the gas wars, the food shortages, unemployment, social unrest & utility black-outs, & the one thing it taught me was to make sure if it ever happened again, I would be in a position not to be counted as one of it's victims. My son and I were driving a few years back when he was still in high school. He never could understand why I would always point out herds of deer or turkeys when we would see them in the wilds, & sometimes stop the car just to watch them. I told him at the rate of farmlands being bought up that maybe not in his lifetime, but maybe his children's, there could be a world-wide food shortage because of this. His answer was that in the future, it would not matter because they were learning in school that all the food we would need would be contained in pill form. My only comment to him after that was would he like living in a world where you would not smell a steak cooking on a grill, or the taste of corn on the cob (with butter of course),
or be able to watch animals in their natural habitat interact with each other . . . . . the rest of the ride home was very quiet & thoughtful to say the least. In this hurry up and wait world we live in, sometimes we do overlook the crictical essentials of life, & worry about things that won't make a difference anyway.
Thanks Mist, glad you made it . . .
Be safe.

Very interesting. And I see what you did there.

Thanks Jeremy, interesting is one of the things I was going for :)

Mist my fellow brother, thought provoking as ever. The spectrum of articles on this forum never ceases to amaze me, from a seemingly world wide crisis because a folder is running a wee bit late being shipped, to real world subjects that maybe we should be worrying about instead. I have lived thru the gas wars, the food shortages, unemployment, social unrest & utility black-outs, & the one thing it taught me was to make sure if it ever happened again, I would be in a position not to be counted as one of it's victims. My son and I were driving a few years back when he was still in high school. He never could understand why I would always point out herds of deer or turkeys when we would see them in the wilds, & sometimes stop the car just to watch them. I told him at the rate of farmlands being bought up that maybe not in his lifetime, but maybe his children's, there could be a world-wide food shortage because of this. His answer was that in the future, it would not matter because they were learning in school that all the food we would need would be contained in pill form. My only comment to him after that was would he like living in a world where you would not smell a steak cooking on a grill, or the taste of corn on the cob (with butter of course),
or be able to watch animals in their natural habitat interact with each other . . . . . the rest of the ride home was very quiet & thoughtful to say the least. In this hurry up and wait world we live in, sometimes we do overlook the crictical essentials of life, & worry about things that won't make a difference anyway.
Thanks Mist, glad you made it . . .
Be safe.

Thanks Bill, glad you enjoyed the post. I don't think I'd like having all my meals in pill form. If they ever manage that I hope they at least make them chewable, food flavored, and in a variety pack!

Thought provoking to say the least..what was the catalyst that caused the shelves to be bare in that supermarket? That was a lot of smashed eggs to..:confused:

And that bookstore looks like a place I could spend hours in...you don't find those kind of places anymore.

Thought provoking to say the least..what was the catalyst that caused the shelves to be bare in that supermarket? That was a lot of smashed eggs to..:confused:

And that bookstore looks like a place I could spend hours in...you don't find those kind of places anymore.

Thanks, that was the whole point. It snowed and those shelves were empty in a few hours...stayed that way for a few days. I found all the smashed eggs a bit confusing too...I hope the disinfected the shelves before restocking.

It is definitely one of the more interesting book stores around.

Well according to some people THE WORLD WILL COME TO AN END! (if they don't get their DPx HEST folder soon!)

I can kind of see where they are coming from. Its like Kill Santa syndrome. You wait so long and then you just want to clobber the postman when he delivers your blade!

How to Deliver Bad News
By Steve Tobak | January 27, 2011 3 Comments

The Corner Office
Steve Tobak

Everyone in a leadership or management position has to deliver bad news from time to time. Occasionally, we have to deliver really bad news. It just comes with the territory.

While that’s never fun or easy to deal with, I’ve found that it’s rarely as scary as we make it out to be. It’s the buildup in our minds and the rush to get it over with that often results in a negative outcome.

For example, a friend suggested this topic because he had the impression that I had a lot of experience with this sort of thing. He was right; I have had to deliver more than my fair share of bad news.

Well, guess what? I avoided writing the post because I didn’t want to remember all that stuff. See? Strong emotional memories.

Anyway, here are some examples. Some fall into the B2B category while others are more management, i.e. person-to-person, oriented:

Telling a major customer that my company will fail to meet its delivery schedule of a key component, ultimately causing a shutdown of the customer’s production line. More on this example later.
Informing my boss that we lost a key customer, are going over budget, or would miss a key schedule milestone.
Communicating a revenue shortfall, schedule slip, or other bad news to the Wall Street analyst community.
Explaining to the world - through media interviews - that a product has a bug.
Telling the CEO that the presentation file I supposedly loaded on his notebook for a big meeting isn’t actually on his notebook and he’s going to have to wing it (it took too long to download a big file in those days).
I can go on and on with examples and some really gory stories, and while each one seems unique, there is, more or less, a single method for dealing with this most challenging of business situations.

Not surprisingly, the method incorporates elements of crisis management, customer service, effective communication, and even some psychology. And, if you do it with empathy and finesse, I’ve found that you can actually improve your relationship with the other party, rather than damage it.

Four Steps to Deliver Bad News

Step One: Be Genuine. Be honest with yourself about the role you personally played in the outcome. This is critical because, if you played a direct role, i.e. you screwed up, you need to be straight with yourself about that or you’ll end up feeling guilty and weird and that will come across negatively. In other words, you need to diffuse your own emotional state.

Step Two: Be Empathetic. Put yourself in the other person or people’s shoes. I really mean that; give it some time and really get in there. Try your best to understand what they stand to lose as a result of the bad news. Make sure you’re clear that, regardless of your personal role in causing the problem, you are, to the other party, responsible and accountable.

Step Three: Plan. Consider all the ways you can make the situation right. In the case of a major delivery issue to a customer, communicating a product bug, or equally significant event, that may require one or more internal premeetings. In any case, you need to have a clear picture of the options at your disposal and under exactly what conditions you and your company are willing to bring them to bear on the problem.

Step Four: The Delivery. Now, and only now, are you ready to deliver the bad news in real time. If you did the first three steps right, your emotional state will be clear. That means you’ll be empathetic but not emotionally distraught, freeing your conscious mind to make clear-headed decisions in real time. And depending on the reaction, you have an arsenal of possibilities to offer to help make things right.

Here’s a good example of the time that my company (I was head of sales) couldn’t deliver a key component on time, resulting in a shut down of my customer’s production line.

During the “bad news delivery” face-to-face meeting with the customer, we held a conference call with my company’s head of operations who, seemingly on the fly and under pressure from the customer, committed to an accelerated schedule that would minimize my customer’s pain.

That was a preplanned contingency to use if necessary. The result was a customer who felt that 1) I would do anything to go to bat for him, 2) my company would pull out all the stops to meet his needs, and 3) he helped to make all that happen by the way he handled the meeting. We all won and our relationship was stronger as a result.

Bottom line. The biggest mistake people make in delivering bad news is the emotional build up and the unnecessary rush to get it over with. They typically don’t take the time to 1) diffuse their own emotional state, 2) put themselves in the other person’s shoes, and 3) do enough contingency planning to know what can be done to make things right and under what conditions to offer them.

If you follow these four steps, you’ll minimize the negative impact and, at times, even come out ahead.

It's as if you're prepping us for some really bad news, RYP. Spill the beans. Skip the blow-softening steps and give it to us straight. I just knew it... you're keeping your 250 babies and aren't sending them to college, aren't you?

Its like having all the Dallas Cheerleaders, Playboy Bunnies and Penthouse Pets together naked in your hot tub and its past curfew time, you know you should dress them up and send them home but....

The spectrum of articles on this forum never ceases to amaze me, from a seemingly world wide crisis because a folder is running a wee bit late being shipped, to real world subjects that maybe we should be worrying about instead.
Well according to some people THE WORLD WILL COME TO AN END! (if they don't get their DPx HEST folder soon!)

Mr. Pelton, please forgive me, I meant no disrespect towards you or your company & it's products. I am sure these knives are very important to some of the people who have them on order, but compared to the scenarios Mist points out, I don't think the comparison is on the same level. Again, my apologies sir.
Be safe.
p.s.: Mist, sorry man for high-jacking your post for a few minutes . . . :)

Last edited:
not hijacking the thread at all. I was just providing a business article on how to tell people its the end of the world. I encourage Mistwalker to post his stuff. Quite interesting

I have got to read that book!

Actually I didn't write it, I took that shot from a distance for the point I was trying to make. I didn't even notice what it said from the distance I was at.. I was focused on the meter and cable wires. Then I saw it while editing and thought...well, it fits... I need to re-read it now that I have a better understanding of the subject and see what all I missed the first time around.

p.s.: Mist, sorry man for high-jacking your post for a few minutes . . . :)

Open participation and discussion is encouraged in all my posts, regardless of personal opinions...as long as you don't start calling me names :D .

not hijacking the thread at all. I was just providing a business article on how to tell people its the end of the world. I encourage Mistwalker to post his stuff. Quite interesting

Thanks, glad you find them interesting. Encouraging me could lead to a lot of photo-heavy posts :eek:

Hey f#ckhead :))

Calling people names is a good thing or we would all be "Hey you". Great pics. Nice work. What kind of camera are you using?
Did that bookstore smell like cat pee and stale pipesmoke?

I once recruited and hired a hobo mercenary army in Atlanta to find another bum who smashed my window and jacked my GPS and they took me on a tour of their secret places. IT was pretty interesting.

I wonder if you have ever thought of having a homeless guy take you on a photo tour of your home town so we can see how the other half lives.

I wonder if you have ever thought of having a homeless guy take you on a photo tour of your home town so we can see how the other half lives.

Better still, see if you can capture one. We could make it the forum mascot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back