Discussion On Hostile Environments (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the chance of a direct hit by a hurricane, I am dug in. I can survive here better than in some public shelter. But there can be other short duration disruptions that should be prepared for. Water, food, and shelter. I keep my pantries stocked. Both of my parents lived through the Depression, and they always had plenty of non-perishable food on hand. You never know.

Stock001.jpg

Mist, every time I read one of your posts, it makes me notice more around our home up here. My wife keeps telling me she has never known anyone who notices all the things I point out to her, but some that you come up with I hadn't even thought about. I was in our bank branch yesterday & one of the mgr.'s told me they are going to start cutting back on "live" tellers this summer and installing more ATM's inside. Like you said with the self check-out lines, I too, don't like where all the automation is leading us. Thanks again for all your articles & time you put into this forum.
Be safe.

I enjoy Mistwalker's knife reviews and his other posts. Survival isn't just for some remote place. It's every day every where. Look at the rioting in Egypt going on today. Order has broken down and normal life is impossible. It can happen anywhere at any time.

Very thought provoking post Mist - certainly got me thinking...

Wasnt sure we were on the same page at first, the whole hostile environment angle brings visions of a resurgence of tribal societies... desperate people turned vigilantes roaming the streets for resources! To me that means personal safety and alignment with security become the paramount concerns...

The urban survival scenario you present (to me) I feel more likely to come as a result of a personal downfall of some sort... Ive often wondered how I would cope in this scenario, I have these visions of grabbing my fishing gear and a few supplies and hitting the jungle but in reality thats far-fetched. I have responsibilities.

The scenario is even more complicated where you live somewhere like I do - a small, very wealthy overpopulated island with very few natural resources.

Like I said... very interesting thread. Not the sort that would usually catch my eye but you got me on this one...

I enjoy Mistwalker's knife reviews and his other posts. Survival isn't just for some remote place. It's every day every where. Look at the rioting in Egypt going on today. Order has broken down and normal life is impossible. It can happen anywhere at any time.

So true H.D., so true. I keep hearing comments about how the government will take care of us if anything happens, & all I ask them is to think about New Orleans & Katrina . . . .
My brother is in L/E in Alabama, & I have ask him if a scenario would ever happen, would he report to his patrol post or stay home and take care of his family first? The look I got from him did not need words to know the answer. And you are correct, anytime is as fast as the blink of an eye.
Be safe.

Last edited:
Except for the chance of a direct hit by a hurricane, I am dug in. I can survive here better than in some public shelter. But there can be other short duration disruptions that should be prepared for. Water, food, and shelter. I keep my pantries stocked. Both of my parents lived through the Depression, and they always had plenty of non-perishable food on hand. You never know.

Stock001.jpg

Everyone involved in raising me in my early years lived through the depression and their ways were big influences on my thinking. My father was born in the middle of it. Non perishables are always good to have around, you do just never know.

Mist, every time I read one of your posts, it makes me notice more around our home up here. My wife keeps telling me she has never known anyone who notices all the things I point out to her, but some that you come up with I hadn't even thought about. I was in our bank branch yesterday & one of the mgr.'s told me they are going to start cutting back on "live" tellers this summer and installing more ATM's inside. Like you said with the self check-out lines, I too, don't like where all the automation is leading us. Thanks again for all your articles & time you put into this forum.
Be safe.

Always good to be aware of ones surroundings. I don't like all the promotion of non-human interaction. Our local water company has an office here, but there is no way to interact with a person. It has to be done on-line or over the phone.

Thanks HD, glad you enjoy posts. You are exactly right, all of my real-life survival situations have been in an urban environment and due to weather and other various circumstances.

Very thought provoking post Mist - certainly got me thinking...

Wasnt sure we were on the same page at first, the whole hostile environment angle brings visions of a resurgence of tribal societies... desperate people turned vigilantes roaming the streets for resources! To me that means personal safety and alignment with security become the paramount concerns...

The urban survival scenario you present (to me) I feel more likely to come as a result of a personal downfall of some sort... Ive often wondered how I would cope in this scenario, I have these visions of grabbing my fishing gear and a few supplies and hitting the jungle but in reality thats far-fetched. I have responsibilities.

The scenario is even more complicated where you live somewhere like I do - a small, very wealthy overpopulated island with very few natural resources.

Like I said... very interesting thread. Not the sort that would usually catch my eye but you got me on this one...

Thinking is always good. Same here, I have family members I am responsible for. You are in an interesting situation there, different dynamic than on a larger piece of land. I used to wonder about such things when I lived in the Florida Keys with so little real estate to work with. The ocean would provide a lot of food but fresh water would be the problem over time. At least I could collect rain water.

Seriously mist... without pissing in your pocket this thread is what these forums are all about.

More power to you.

Seriously mist... without pissing in your pocket this thread is what these forums are all about.

More power to you.

+1 Mist, It's so much better to read your posts than the bitch sessions in some others threads. I look forward to reading more. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back