Gaucho knives and cuchillos criollos of South America

Too bad about the canceled order Jer.
Yeap, I really do like the "lighter and warmer" materials too :thumbsup: :cool: ... and now I am being drawn to the flashy metal :D

Now see what an enabler your are ?
This came from the big river this afternoon :cool:
Oz5ZDsy.jpg
Have you read the book, is it fiction? How hard is it to get a copy?

Have you read the book, is it fiction? How hard is it to get a copy?

The book is a short compilation of narratives and descriptions of the gaucho by early travelers to the area from the early 1800's up until the early 20th century.
The book is readily available from Amazon.

I've read the first chapter in which Charles Darwin describes his experiences in the land of the gaucho when he visited the area in 1839.

Both the editors of the book practice martial arts and are trained in knife fighting and self defense.
The overall compilation and the foreword and final interview with an Argentine practicer of the "Esgrima Criolla" approach the book from that angle.

I wish the editors would have approached the subject of the book in a more balanced way as the gaucho is a complex figure, one that also continually evolved and changed with the times.

JNqDihM.jpg

spcMBoK.jpg

The book is a short compilation of narratives and descriptions of the gaucho by early travelers to the area from the early 1800's up until the early 20th century.
The book is readily available from Amazon.

I've read the first chapter in which Charles Darwin describes his experiences in the land of the gaucho when he visited the area in 1839.

Both the editors of the book practice martial arts and are trained in knife fighting and self defense.
The overall compilation and the foreword and final interview with an Argentine practicer of the "Esgrima Criolla" approach the book from that angle.

I wish the editors would have approached the subject of the book in a more balanced way as the gaucho is a complex figure, one that also continually evolved and changed with the times.

JNqDihM.jpg

spcMBoK.jpg
Mine is now pretended to be expected tomorrow, though I've no reason to believe they know where it is now.
An Eberle for each hand:
jBGUBlL.jpg

(And one for lagniappe.)
I think someone carried that bottom one and didn't want to lose it.
iyUvo9O.jpg

We travelled to Ottawa today to renew passports and run some errands.

I quickly stopped by the "Mercado Latino" and run inside to stock up on yerba mate 🧉
Right besides the yerba I noticed a box of just "decadent" alfajores de chocolate 😋

" Cuanto cuestan los alfajores ? " I asked
" $ 22 dolares " came the reply :eek:

I was in a bit of a shock to be honest. I mean, 22 dollars for 6 alfajores ?

"No gracias" I thought to myself and told the cashier I would just take the yerba.

As I am getting ready to pay all of a sudden I have kamagong kamagong on my mind.

And then found myself saying "Actually, I will take the alfajores" 😁

When I showed the box to my dear wife and daughters I was an instant hero ☺️

With yerba mate or milk they are sure to hit the spot 😋
ZO1nvCz.jpg

2CBFGhO.jpg

hyKVtbC.jpg

An Eberle for each hand:

And a Verijero on each hand for me too :)
I treat all my children the same :D
07TkvMr.jpg

And then found myself saying "Actually, I will take the alfajores" 😁

2CBFGhO.jpg

You chose wisely my friend. Dark chocolate alfajores? Looks deliciously decadent, my mouth is watering looking at that picture.

That was a good decision eating one immediately. You don't want to re-live the dulce de leche episode.

Did you ask Maxi for an octagonal bolster CelloDan CelloDan ?

Initially I did ask him for the short octagonal bolster 👍 … then I changed my mind 😄

The truth is that when I compare the thick rounded bolster of Maxi’s Verijero with the octagonal short type of my new “Pampa” criollo I find the rounded one way more comfortable.

I rationalized my choice by the fact that in the province of Entre Rios where I was born the “oriental” thick rounded bolster is more popular ( just as in Uruguay 🇺🇾 across the river and in southern Brazil 🇧🇷)

Now the short octagonal bolsters are ideal for installing handles with "Virolas", the piece of metal ( silver or alpaca) that sometimes is use in building the handle.
It would look disproportionally big if the "Virolas" were installed on thick bolsters
X9hy5z6.jpg

Artisans who do leather work on the handles use the short octagonal bolster with a "Virola"
Rkujd6q.jpg

I saw these and thought immediately of you CelloDan CelloDan .

View attachment 2534866

Gracias Christian !
Very kind of you mi amigo 😀
I would have bought one of each , yum 😋

I was very happy to see announced in maxipescie maxipescie social network site that he will be attending Blade Show in Atlanta this coming June.

A search of the floor plan indicates he will be located in section 11L.

If any of you gauchos are attending drop by his exhibit to check it out and say hi 👍😊

He’ll be the one exhibitor drinking Yerba mate with a thermos under his arm🧉 so it will be easier to find him 😎

ebStMDV.jpeg

4kq9kKx.png

Today I made my Verijero do the unthinkable ... chop a bunch of spinach 🤮
What kind of gaucho makes his knife do this ?

And there was not a even a tiny piece of beef 🥩 in the house to soothe its aching edge ☺️
f2kNwGE.jpg

I then realized that perhaps Verijero did not mind it so much after all.
Capibaras are vegetarians after all 😀
P5Hfs6m.jpg

I can't explain it, but I think a need a stag handled gaucho knife.

Looks like Boker Argentina is expanding their offerings, I don't remember seeing this available back in January.

IMG_2208.png

Con hoja forjada en Solingen, ALEMANIA, de acero al carbono, lomo ancho.

👍🏼

However, this observation made a while back by a forumite that no longer hangs around these parts gives me pause.

I wouldn't recommend Böker knives since you can get a custom for almost the same price.

What to do, what to do?

Is it true that you can get a custom for "about" the same price as a Boker? And how close is "about"?

But that big one is new to me.

I think so. I inquired with a maker about getting a faca brasileira made, and the price he quoted was less than the Boker pictured above. Also, my 19 cm puñal from Maxi cost less than the 20 cm Arbolito. I'm not going to quibble about a cm or two, but it does appear that modern Boker cuchillos criollos are not a great value.

I think so. I inquired with a maker about getting a faca brasileira made, and the price he quoted was less than the Boker pictured above. Also, my 19 cm puñal from Maxi cost less than the 20 cm Arbolito. I'm not going to quibble about a cm or two, but it does appear that modern Boker cuchillos criollos are not a great value.
I'll be darned.
Good to know.

Back