Gaucho knives and cuchillos criollos of South America

I figured out why I "need" a stag handled gaucho knife. An unfulfilled wish is making itself felt.

BTW Manuel I still want you to build me a stag and 52100 criollo. I'll drop you a line when I'm ready.

Coincidentally, that bladesmith I referenced, did not have a high opinion of modern Bokers.

The classic puñales blades came from germany, almost exclusively from Solingen. The Arbolito (Boker) was really famous. Although still in market the quality is really poor compare to the old ones.

Last edited:
I figured out why I "need" a stag handled gaucho knife. An unfulfilled wish is making itself felt

I like the way your subconscious mind is leading you Christian ☺️

Ni kidding, in my searches of the old BF archives, some dating back more than 15 years ago your username popped up a few times in regards to criollo knives :thumbsup:
I am happy you got to fulfill that wish mi amigo :cool:

I could not sleep last night and spent some time looking up the bladesmith you mentioned above, Manuel Quiroga from Argentina

Wow, his work is amazing.
He also shared valuable insights regarding criollos right here on BF.
I wish he was still posting around here, just like Francisco.

Here is youtube video with more than 1.6 million views where Manuel is working on twisted damascus steel

Last edited:
I like the way your subconscious mind is leading you Christian ☺️

Ni kidding, in my searches of the old BF archives, some dating back more than 15 years ago your username popped up a few times in regards to criollo knives :thumbsup:
I am happy you got to fulfill that wish mi amigo :cool:

15 years...wow. Sounds right, I picked up my gaucho-inspired knife in 2010 because I had trouble sourcing the real deal.

At least I can rationalize that my newest knife is no impulse buy and that I really, really want it.

😂

At least I can rationalize that my newest knife is no impulse buy and that I really, really want it.

Exactly Christian !👍😎

And thank you !!! because now I am able to let go of the guilt I felt at the thought of having been an “ enabler “ in any way 😄

The knife arrived today. It's unused. Shocked to see it still had the packing grease and factory edge on the blade. Feels good in the hand. 5 1/2" blade. I'm happy with it.

Beautiful David ! 😍

What a great find !
I kept on checking here throughout the day with expectation about your incoming criollo.

Unused with a pristine edge which is a rare find and Tandil made from back in their years of splendour 😎

Congrats amigo !!! 😊

A beauty, David. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks Vince!
Exactly Christian !👍😎

And thank you !!! because now I am able to let go of the guilt I felt at the thought of having been an “ enabler “ in any way 😄

Beautiful David ! 😍

What a great find !
I kept on checking here throughout the day with expectation about your incoming criollo.

Unused with a pristine edge which is a rare find and Tandil made from back in their years of splendour 😎

Congrats amigo !!! 😊
Thank you Dan!

I have cuchillos criollos on the brain again. After a long week at work I decided to unwind with a glass of scotch while watching some YT.

I found this video showing a modern Boker Arbolito blade blank.

Yikes! Good call Dan. Given the thickness of the spine I never would have guessed that the tang was so narrow.

The rat tail tang looks quite thin to me...

I'm now debating whether I want a fancy cuchillo, one I can wear to desfiles and the like. Something appointed in plata.

I don't like metal handles though. Not only are they slippery, they're cold to the touch in winter and hot in summer.

🤔

I've got it! My fancy cuchillo will be one of understated elegance. Instead of being blinged out in gold and silver, I'll put the money into the blade. Something like this in damascus.

21B9CD7C-85CA-4897-A2D6-34D5E0A554F3.jpeg

Such a fine blade deserves a touch of luxury though. Perhaps I can get the vaina fitted with a silver chape.

B3F7E3DC-1901-47DB-9AE0-681F6F072012.jpeg

Time to start saving...

It took awhile but finally got an edge on the criollo. I don't mind that it lets me get to know the knife and the steel in the blade. I'll be going over to my brother's this afternoon and put some flat iron steak 🥩 on the smoker. It'll get it's first use on steak.

Yikes! Good call Dan. Given the thickness of the spine I never would have guessed that the tang was so narrow.
Wow ! Thanks for sharing the video Christian !
A knife can only be as strong as its weakest part.
There is no much point in making a knife with a thick spine and advertise it as such and then give it such narrow tang, ... even more so on their large 8 and 10 inch blades.

I'm now debating whether I want a fancy cuchillo, one I can wear to desfiles and the like. Something appointed in plata.

I don't like metal handles though. Not only are they slippery, they're cold to the touch in winter and hot in summer.

I felt the same way you do about the metal handled criollos Christian.

I love wood and wood handles for my knives and nothing will ever change that and to be honest I really did not care too much for the fancy criollos with metal handles.

Then they slowly started growing on me more and more and just as it is with stag handles, I now find myself being really drawn to some while I can pass on others.

I loved my Pampa verijero the moment I saw it in pictures and even more so when I held it.

I had never handled silver of any type prior to obtaining this knife.
The feeling in the hand is totally different than what I was expecting. It is nothing like stainless steel or other metals.

I don't know how to describe it but it just feels good :)

I've got it! My fancy cuchillo will be one of understated elegance. Instead of being blinged out in gold and silver, I'll put the money into the blade. Something like this in damascus.

21B9CD7C-85CA-4897-A2D6-34D5E0A554F3.jpeg
I love the way your mind leads you mi amigo :)
That is a beautiful knife indeed !!!
Maxi's interpretation of the criollo knife instantly resonated with me the moment I saw one here on BF.
I could not stop thinking about it until I finally got my own.
My “Capibara” Verijero is by far my most treasured knife.

Such a fine blade deserves a touch of luxury though. Perhaps I can get the vaina fitted with a silver chape.
A vaina "Picasa" :thumbsup::cool:

It took awhile but finally got an edge on the criollo. I don't mind that it lets me get to know the knife and the steel in the blade. I'll be going over to my brother's this afternoon and put some flat iron steak 🥩 on the smoker. It'll get it's first use on steak.
Nice David :)
I wish I was there to partake of the feast 🥩

It looks like you've clean all the tarnish of the handle and the bit of rust on the blade close to the bolster as well.
It looks great :thumbsup: :cool:

When I got mine, and even before arriving at home I went by a local jeweller and bought a special cloth to clean it.
Just from handling it at first it would leave my hands grey with tarnish as it had not being cleaned in decades.

I stayed away from the gold plated areas for the most part out of fear it would affect it ( likely unfounded but I am OCD lol )
RyOhd1Q.jpg

A work of art by silversmith David Saco
LDNZb1o.jpg

Another exquisite work of art.
The blade is by M. Daletsky.
The silverwork by silversmith Luis Chavez.
2DuKN2A.jpg

Last edited:
Wow ! Thanks for sharing the video Christian !
A knife can only be as strong as its weakest part.
There is no much point in making a knife with a thick spine and advertise it as such and then give it such narrow tang, ... even more so on their large 8 and 10 inch blades.

My thoughts exactly.

My “Capibara” Verijero is by far my most treasured knife.

You are a true gaucho, who counts his trusty cuchillo criollo among his most valued possessions.

When I got mine, and even before arriving at home I went by a local jeweller and bought a special cloth to clean it.
Just from handling it at first it would leave my hands grey with tarnish as it had not being cleaned in decades.

I stayed away from the gold plated areas for the most part out of fear it would affect it ( likely unfounded but I am OCD lol )
RyOhd1Q.jpg

Sounds right. I think I would do the same were I in your place.

A work of art by silversmith David Saco
LDNZb1o.jpg

Another exquisite work of art.
The blade is by M. Daletsky.
The silverwork by silversmith Luis Chavez.
2DuKN2A.jpg

That silverwork is magnificent! Alas, I am a gaucho pobre at heart, because while I admire the craftsmanship and am happy that such things exist, I could never part with the funds needed to acquire such treasures. I am sure the sheaths and handles for the knives are more dear than the blades themselves. (And rightly so!)

Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

Criollo has been introduced to steak 🥩
Awesome David ! Now I really wish I had been there 😋:thumbsup::cool:

Great idea! I fed my puñal steak as well tonight.
Really mouthwatering Christian ! 😋
I have not had steak in a while as I've mostly been eating ground beef or ground turkey with vegetables stew for dinner these days as part of a diet I am on however I'll have to fix that very soon :thumbsup:🥩:cool:

Capibara Verijero got to take in the full solar eclipse today :cool:
ZNpv8Qz.jpg

8vOJsHM.jpg

elVn485.jpg

Back