Gaucho knives and cuchillos criollos of South America

Something about the simple carbon steel used on these blades really adds to the magic of them.

It's a great thread.

Agreed. I have to take a picture of two of my favorite knives together, my puñal and my puukko that you are familiar with. Simple knives with carbon steel blades, wooden handles, and beautiful leatherwork.

I can't explain it, but I think a need a stag handled gaucho knife.

Looks like Boker Argentina is expanding their offerings, I don't remember seeing this available back in January.

I feel the same way about a stag handled criollo Christian ... I need one !!! :) ... In due time I am sure I will get me one or handle a blade blank myself if I find the right stag :thumbsup::cool:

I would also love a vintage Arbolito blade as it is so closely associated with the gaucho traditions.
Even major literary figures such as Jose Luis Borges make reference to it in his works.

I wish Francisco was still active on the forum. I left a message on his profile page a while ago . I read a few of his posts from way back in the day and appreciate his insights.
As in the following post:

I've used lots of Arbolito "Gaucho" knives over the years. They are a modern version of puñales and verijeros, used by gauchos.
Old Arbolito (Böker) blades were of excelent quality, they are very coveted by Argentinian knifemakers and rural workers, they have an almost legendary fame. All throughout our literature, whenever there is a knife fight between two gauchos, you'll find a mention of an Arbolito blade.

The modern blades are not half as good as the old ones, but they are still quite good. Unlickily, modern Argentinians use them as barbecue knives, instead of the tough work knives they are supossed to be, so the manufacturer started to make blades thinner and weaker.

The knives can be bought in stainless or carbon steel. I usually favour stainless, because of the lower maintenance, but Böker only offers the traditional "thick spine" in carbon steel. The tangs on all the blades are quite strong, although I mostly use the small blades (4 to 6 inches) so I can't really say how tough the bigger ones are. I guess I would choose another design if I wanted a blade over 6 inches to use as a camp knife, puñales aren't supossed to be much longer than that.

The small and medium models make great users and take quite a beating, although the tips are sometimes a bit fragile. They are easy to sharpen and really take a keen edge. You can get the blades and make your own handles, which I like a lot (it's really easy to get a nice looking stag or wood handle).

Another great source for "gaucho" blades is Herder of Solingen. I've been using one of their criollo blades for years.

I also noticed the "new to me" offerings from Boker Arbolito in Argentina which I do not recall seeing last year when checking their website.

In it they state that new dies were made to replace the very old worn out ones and that their criollos are made in carbon steel with thick stock as in the days of old.

Currently they offer 3 brands/versions of criollo blade blanks:

Boker Magnum: Made in China, stainless steel, NOT forged, soldered bolster. They are prized very reasonable.

Boker Defensa Argentina: Made in Argentina, integral bolster, forged, thick stock, with new dies, carbon steel. The etch is rather shallow and was told by someone in Argentina that it tends to fade away. Mid priced.

Boker Arbolito: Made in Solingen, forged, integral bolster, thick stock, carbon steel, new dies, deep etch/engraving on blade. EXPENSIVE !!!

Their finished knives are only offered in their Magnum and Arbolito brands ( not on Defensa Argentina).
Their products are ONLY sold in Argentina and Boker told me they do not ship outside the country.

It is very hard to get a consensus on the quality of the modern blades from reading the Argentine forums.
Opinions abound and people may actually be referring to any of the 3 different Boker brands when discussing criollos which adds to the confusion.
Some well respected folks in the local knife culture even cast doubts as to the claims that "Solingen made" is actually fully made in Germany these days. Other say that is unlikely that a company like Boker would misrepresent something like that.

I commented a bit about this on this post:

I may one day get an "Arbolito" or a "Defensa Argentina" blank and handle it just to scratch that itch.

I think so. I inquired with a maker about getting a faca brasileira made, and the price he quoted was less than the Boker pictured above. Also, my 19 cm puñal from Maxi cost less than the 20 cm Arbolito. I'm not going to quibble about a cm or two, but it does appear that modern Boker cuchillos criollos are not a great value.

I have a couple of criollo blanks coming from two different Argentine makers and they are better priced than the Arbolito blanks.
I agree that modern Arbolito branded criollos by Boker are not a great value.

Something about the simple carbon steel used on these blades really adds to the magic of them.

It's a great thread.
Amen! well said.

I feel the same way about carbon steel.
I am drawn to it and truly enjoy it in my criollos as well as a few other fix blades and folders in my collection.

And while Christian and I dream about a stag handled gaucho knife we can all admire RayseM RayseM beauty of a criollo :)
A3wsJSh.png

I feel the same way about a stag handled criollo Christian ... I need one !!! :) ... In due time I am sure I will get me one or handle a blade blank myself if I find the right stag :thumbsup::cool:

That's so cool Dan. I would love to acquire an acceptable blade blank and rehandle it, but I just wouldn't do the steel justice. I'll content myself with supporting artisan craftsmanship.

😉

I would also love a vintage Arbolito blade as it is so closely associated with the gaucho traditions.
Even major literary figures such as Jose Luis Borges make reference to it in his works.

Boker Arbolito: Made in Solingen, forged, integral bolster, thick stock, carbon steel, new dies, deep etch/engraving on blade. EXPENSIVE !!!

Speaking strictly for myself, the history associated with the Arbolitos is a major draw.

I'm glad Boker addressed the choil.

IMG_2208.jpeg

And while Christian and I dream about a stag handled gaucho knife...

My sainted wife told me to do more than just dream and to make it a reality. I hope to have a knife similar to this in time for Father's Day.

IMG_4091.jpg

It'll be Brazilian, something suitable for a Portugese speaking tough.

My sainted wife told me to do more than just dream and to make it a reality. I hope to have a knife similar to this in time for Father's Day

WOW 🤩
Christian !!! That is AWESOME !!! 😎

Congratulations !!! 👏

I saw you asking for a price on Alexandre Hentges Kaspary Alexandre Hentges Kaspary sale post and was crossing my fingers and hoping that you were going to pull the trigger on one.

I am so happy for you mi amigo ! 😊

Now I am just smiling at your post earlier when you said:

“ I can't explain it, but I think a need a stag handled gaucho knife.”

Nicely done 👍😎

It'll be Brazilian, something suitable for a Portugese speaking tough

For a gaucho knife like that I’ll learn Portuguese in one day 👍

“A faca é uma verdadeira beleza” 😍

Shall we show the other side of the one you posted that’s similar to the one coming your way ?
7enxPXV.png

It is very hard to get a consensus on the quality of the modern blades from reading the Argentine forums.
Opinions abound and people may actually be referring to any of the 3 different Boker brands when discussing criollos which adds to the confusion.
And how many forum haunters work their knives as hard as gauchos of old, so how would they know?

And how many forum haunters work their knives as hard as gauchos of old, so how would they know?

Exactly Jer 👍

I also wonder what it is that made the carbon steel of vintage criollos so good and legendary in the minds of many vs the “modern “ carbon steel.

It is still your good old basic carbon steel 🤷‍♂️

What secret did the manufacturers from the late 1800 had that can not be done today ?

I know nothing about metallurgy to even attempt to figure it out.

I would be nice to compare a vintage blade ex: an Arbolito or Herder from the later part of the 1800’s side by side with a modern version and test them in a controlled manner by a pro ( hardness, edge retention, toughness etc )

That's so cool Dan. I would love to acquire an acceptable blade blank and rehandle it, but I just wouldn't do the steel justice. I'll content myself with supporting artisan craftsmanship.

😉

Speaking strictly for myself, the history associated with the Arbolitos is a major draw.

I'm glad Boker addressed the choil.

View attachment 2542872

My sainted wife told me to do more than just dream and to make it a reality. I hope to have a knife similar to this in time for Father's Day.

View attachment 2542873

It'll be Brazilian, something suitable for a Portugese speaking tough.
That is magnificent, Christian! (I need to stop reading this thread--it can get expensive!)

Last edited:
I need to stop reading this thread--it can get expensive!
Me too Vince 😀 and stop hanging around a bunch of enablers 😄

Coming to this thread after a long absence. Glad to see the new acquisitions and projects!

Greetings, virtual gauchos.
Good to see you mi amigo :cool:.

If USPS doesn't drop the ball. Should have my first Gaucho knife tomorrow. Anticipation. 🤠

That's great !!! :thumbsup:
I share the anticipation as well !!!
I'll be checking in here tomorrow for sure :cool:

April 4th, 2024, for the records.
I just came from outside from a little photo op.
Here in Eastern Ontario the wet snow and windy conditions have not stopped since last night.

CRAZY !!!
Earlier today I almost got frostbite in my fingers when clearing our driveway and had to slowly bring them back to normal temperature under warm water when I came back inside.

My Pampa verijero was not impressed :)
b4LsyWy.jpg

jQdNvRE.jpg

Me too Vince 😀 and stop hanging around a bunch of enablers 😄

Good to see you mi amigo :cool:.

That's great !!! :thumbsup:
I share the anticipation as well !!!
I'll be checking in here tomorrow for sure :cool:

April 4th, 2024, for the records.
I just came from outside from a little photo op.
Here in Eastern Ontario the wet snow and windy conditions have not stopped since last night.

CRAZY !!!
Earlier today I almost got frostbite in my fingers when clearing our driveway and had to slowly bring them back to normal temperature under warm water when I came back inside.

My Pampa verijero was not impressed :)
b4LsyWy.jpg

jQdNvRE.jpg
Wow! Still snowing? I just took a walk outside in sunny 89 degree weather.

I'll be checking here tomorrow too for David's new gaucho knife.

Back