Hogue Deka scale swap warning

5DoorEstate

Gold Member
I have a couple Hogue Deka Magnacut, and really like the size and weight. As has been discussed here, the slick scales are the only failing of the Bugout killer.

I bought replacement scales from GOAT and RC Bladeworks…and I can’t get the pivot to budge. I tried tapping with a hammer and heating with a soldering iron and a butane lighter. Nothing. No progress.

So I called Hogue today to see if I can send them in to get them loosened. Customer service advised that they do not intend for the scales to be replaceable and thus lock them down. She said warranty service would cover sharpening and cleaning but they’d be locked down again.

This is a ridiculous stance for them to take.

I’m open to suggestions to loosen it or someone I can send it to.

I hope you solve it, as I have OG Ti Deka scales coming. The guy in this vid didn't seem to have a problem, maybe it's a sequencing issue.

Last edited:
ZSe9jRV.jpg
I had some difficulty getting the pivot loose, yet I had it out with a qtip.
It’s a must to change these out imo.

That sounds like an odd position to take. I had no problem pulling mine apart.

For what it's worth, I did have a little trouble swapping into my GOAT scales: I just could not get the pivot, washers, blade and lock housing to properly align in order to fit together. Note that I had been attempting to assemble everything while the blade was in the "open" position. Finally I tried assembling all the bits while the blade was halfway open in the lock and everything aligned properly and fell into place. So, if in the future you have trouble realigning all the moving parts, try out several different blade positions before giving up.

Oh I’ve seen how people swap them! They look awesome with new scales. That’s why I was floored by 1) how immovable the damn thing is and 2) the Hogue response.

. Customer service advised that they do not intend for the scales to be replaceable and thus lock them down.
This bothers me greatly as they are a company that specializes in accessories for guns. You would think in that making/designing the deka, they would know they were going up against the BM Bugout, which has a huge aftermarket, and should have planned accordingly. Hell, they should have thought to make their own aftermarket scales. Poor foresight, and poor customer service attitude IMO.

I used a heat gun on the pivots of my Spyderco Yojimbo 2 to loosen it.

I had this problem. I used a plier on the micro tool torx bit to loosen it, then it turned out. I ended up grabbing this micro ratchet and torx bit set for the next time I had this issue. Bottom line, the pivot does come out with a little leverage. I just assumed it was thread-locked because if it is screwed in too tightly, the blade doesn’t swing freely. In fact I reinstalled it too tight at first and couldn’t get the blade open at all.

5FAAB256-7DEA-4901-8FE2-D2AE43A940D9.jpeg

I am kind of surprised the company would take that stance. I always appreciate CRK or Hinderer for wanting their customers to take apart their knives.

Mine came apart just fine, there was a good bit of blue thread locker on the pivot but didn't hinder disassembly.

The Original Goat handles fit and feel great.

I hope you solve it, as I have OG Ti Deka scales coming. The guy in this vid didn't seem to have a problem, maybe it's a sequencing issue.

I used that video as well last week to finally put Blade Scales on my Magnacut Deka. No issues.

But I really wish Hogue would just sell Magnacut with the G-Mascus scales.

Last edited:
I used that video as well last week to finally put Blade Scales on my Magnacut Deka. No issues.

But I really wish Hogue would just sell Magnacut with the G-Mascus scales.
youre in luck they do now and its amazing, red black and white, still thinking about getting another set of scales in a diff material

Back