Hogue Deka scale swap warning

I am pretty sure that Hogue’s response is standard fare from most manufacturers, want no responsibility for poor reassembly and then injuries. It certainly can be broken down. Something is amiss. The pivot is d shape, maybe it rotated a tiny bit and is bound by the bar lock cage, or the washer is somehow being impacted by the bar lock cap in the forward position. All I can think is too tape up the blade (safety 1st), then pull back the bar lock while pushing on the pivot from the screw side. If need use a tap, with the pivot screw removed.
IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_3340.jpeg

I am pretty sure that Hogue’s response is standard fare from most manufacturers, want no responsibility for poor reassembly and then injuries. It certainly can be broken down. Something is amiss. The pivot is d shape, maybe it rotated a tiny bit and is bound by the bar lock cage, or the washer is somehow being impacted by the bar lock cap in the forward position. All I can think is too tape up the blade (safety 1st), then pull back the bar lock while pushing on the pivot from the screw side. If need use a tap, with the pivot screw removed.
View attachment 2269672

View attachment 2269676
I like those! i ordered OG Titanium Extra Large in mm1 and stoned finish but I have been eyeing those bright g10 ones too for variety. Killer looking knife.

That’s so strange. I have multiple Gen 2 Dekas and all of them are a breeze to disassemble. I’ve swapped blades, scales, and put custom scales on two of them. Hogue also gave me zero issues when I sent one of them in for service. I had a chip in one of my 20 CV models when I got it and I decided to send it to them to fix rather than doing a re profile myself. I had already put micarta scales on it. They ended up replacing my blade and putting my micarta scales back on.

I have 2, one 20CV and 1 Magna, able to take both apart easily. Only annoying part right now is the Medium axis bar lock from Glowrhino is something like 0.25-0.5mm too narrow to fit the deka, otherwise it would fit like a glove :(

edit: it was medium, not large

Did the OP ever get this resolved?
I just ordered some OGGoat scales because so many people in this thread said they didn't have any problems with the swap. I'm hoping I didn't just waste $95 (custom ceramic coating).

Did the OP ever get this resolved?
I just ordered some OGGoat scales because so many people in this thread said they didn't have any problems with the swap. I'm hoping I didn't just waste $95 (custom ceramic coating).
I have and rec a steel Benchmade pivot alignment tool from etsy seller RustBucketGoods that goes in the pivot hole to hold everything together. Used a Benchmade blue box to unscrew everything. Absolute Piece of cake.

Very happy to report that the GOAT ceramic coated "Wave" scale replacements worked out just fine.

Disassembly of the Pivot required some elbow grease (to break the thread lock) and then a little "percussive maintenance" to knock the other side of the pivot through. Reassembly is tricky - I pinned the lock open with a bamboo skewer and it required a little more percussive maintenance to get the "D" section ("back" of the pivot) threaded correctly and into place (lots of lube helps).

The whole thing took about 15 minutes and will probabaly take 5 minutes next time.

20231114_135013.jpg
20231114_134902.jpg
20231114_134812.jpg
Feels 100% better now.
Sounds better too.
The replacement scales are a little thicker than the originals so the lock is not quite as proud now but there's still plenty to grab and manipulate.

Stoked.

I oughtta stick this here, as I’m sure it will be of interest to someone. I just installed VOTIX EDC CF scales on my Deka Wharncliffe MagnaCut. I didn’t realize they’re in Australia, so it took a little while for them to get here, but it was totally worth the wait. These are very nice quality, look and feel great, and fit better than the Blade Scales I had previously put on. I’m back to loving this Deka.

IMG_0965.jpeg
IMG_0964.jpeg

I oughtta stick this here, as I’m sure it will be of interest to someone. I just installed VOTIX EDC CF scales on my Deka Wharncliffe MagnaCut. I didn’t realize they’re in Australia, so it took a little while for them to get here, but it was totally worth the wait. These are very nice quality, look and feel great, and fit better than the Blade Scales I had previously put on. I’m back to loving this Deka.

View attachment 2391196
View attachment 2391199
Very nice.

I broke my wing-handle Wiha 365/T8x40 on a new Deka with Magnacut. That screwdriver had broken thread-locker on Spyderco and Benchmade knives before.

The suggestions to apply heat (heat torch, boiling water, etc.) to loosen the screws is a bad idea that could mess up the heat treatment of the blade. A touch of acetone left to soak on the screw threads will loosen the threadlock that Hogue apparently is using.

The use of thread lock on the Deka appears to be a somewhat recent change. I have a couple of Deka knives, the earlier ones weren't locked down, but the most recent one was. Use acetone (nail polish remover) to loosen the thread lock. A drop on the pivot point will work if you let it soak for 10 min or so. DO NOT USE BOILING WATER OR HEAT, as you could mess up the heat treatment of the blade.

DO NOT USE BOILING WATER OR HEAT, as you could mess up the heat treatment of the blade.
MagnaCut has a recommend temper of 350°F so boiling water is not going to be a problem. Neither is heating the pivot screw with a soldering iron of modest wattage as the blade stock is enough of a sink for the flux applied.

A "recommended" temper of 350 degrees does NOT mean that high heat below that 350 degrees won't affect the temper. The internet is rife with unsubstantiated "opinions." The safer route is to avoid the use of heat and use acetone, which will loosen thread locker.

A "recommended" temper of 350 degrees does NOT mean that high heat below that 350 degrees won't affect the temper. The internet is rife with unsubstantiated "opinions."

Here is a statement from Dr. Larrin Thomas, the metallurgist who developed the alloy that is the subject of discussion.
After tempering, if the steel is heated to some temperature below the tempering temperature, the hardness will likely not be affected unless it is held there for very long periods of time.

Point.
Counter-point.

Now we're really Internetting.

I didn't use any heat or acetone to swap my Deka scales. I have no opinion on other's opinions and no guidance for other techniques.

Now we're really Internetting.
Touche.

duty_calls_2x.png

o_OI'm amazed someone could believe that boiling water would ruin a steel's heat treat. Is it just me? That's not a thing. Boiling water isn't anywhere near hot enough. Like it's not even in the same ballpark.

o_OI'm amazed someone could believe that boiling water would ruin a steel's heat treat. Is it just me? That's not a thing. Boiling water isn't anywhere near hot enough. Like it's not even in the same ballpark.

Maybe he's a saturation diver? :D

MagnaCut has a recommend temper of 350°F so boiling water is not going to be a problem. Neither is heating the pivot screw with a soldering iron of modest wattage as the blade stock is enough of a sink for the flux applied.
Yes. A 40W soldering pencil placed on the head of the screw will loosen the thread locking compound. It's not hot enough to ruin a blade heat treat.

Back