K20 | Picture Gallery

Thanks Man. Desert Ironwood as far as I know. I know it’s not for everyone, but I love the sharp contrast between the light and dark color variations. Couldn’t be more pleased with these.

In my opinion, desert ironwood is the one of best woods there is for this application. If there were something better I'd be using it. If somebody knows something that I don't know, please let me know, I'm all ears.

Not too shabby... The blue turns purple-ish at different angles.

PXL-2024.jpg

Thank you for the info, where would be buffed ECAM standing?
That list is somewhat subjective but I think most users would agree with it.

I’d put ECAM in with the canvas micarta.

In my experience, unbuffed micarta is only unbuffed initially. Once you start using it regularly, it quickly becomes equivalent to buffed.

For the people who were interested, here’s a few more pics of the vintage International Paper micarta, now known as VIPM. The “crunchy” variation has the blue screws, those are not black liners, it’s the crunchy portion of the scale meaning it’s the outside of the whole micarta slab which as formed a patina.

Kr4sFWP.jpeg

wF6AvAS.jpeg

hFbQ9Ll.jpeg

For the people who were interested, here’s a few more pics of the vintage International Paper micarta, now known as VIPM. The “crunchy” variation has the blue screws, those are not black liners, it’s the crunchy portion of the scale meaning it’s the outside of the whole micarta slab which as formed a patina.

Kr4sFWP.jpeg

wF6AvAS.jpeg

hFbQ9Ll.jpeg
Are both of these examples buffed?

In my opinion, desert ironwood is the one of best woods there is for this application. If there were something better I'd be using it. If somebody knows something that I don't know, please let me know, I'm all ears.

No, I think you guys nailed it. I was strictly speaking aesthetics. These scales exceeded my expectations. Lots of character in this wood which adds a special touch to the whole package. This one is the wall hanger, while the bright green terotuf K20 will be my backup home defense, Zombie apocalypse weapon.

Kr4sFWP.jpeg

wF6AvAS.jpeg

hFbQ9Ll.jpeg

I think that the one pictured with shiny Ti hardware is buffed canvas micarta. Grenock had posted this which captures the confusion perfectly:

You ready?

Yes, Nathan does not use paper micarta as a rule, except when Nathan uses paper micarta, in which case, the rule does not apply.

The vintage paper micarta pictured above, is unverified, but was most likely made by Westinghouse as it came out of an old switchgear.

The vintage micarta CPK recently acquired a large stock of was made by International Paper, but it isn't paper.

The ECAM everyone loves, like the vintage paper micarta, is again unverified, but most likely is an authentic Westinghouse product.

Nathan threw us a curve by using vintage paper micarta by Westinghouse and then later buying vintage canvas micarta made by International Paper.

Jo is the CPK expert in everything regarding the handle scales so always best to check with her but with those "crunchy" VIPM handles, the "crunchiness" comes from not being edge cut when processed.

Kr4sFWP.jpeg

wF6AvAS.jpeg

hFbQ9Ll.jpeg
Pretty sure your top one with the blue screws has black canvas under the VIPM. That layer is too thick, and too distinct. I have some "crunchy" VIPM, and those of yours look distinctly different. I actually think your set with the silver screws might be the "crunchy" version...

Mine:

img_8772-jpg.2137188

img_8773-1-jpg.2137187

img_8795-jpg.2140328

img_8796-jpg.2140327

Back