Ridiculous purchase you just had to have

7MWiD1c.jpg

My Lowe's 550 headlamp is a big chunk of light hanging off my head. Paid a whopping $25 bucks for it and it's worth $25.

Decided to treat myself with something ridiculous. In ridiculous colors. It's Olight sales days and every second video in YouTube feed is a freaking Olight.

I don't do pressure. So I bought Fenix. Olight should have laid up off me.

Look at this ridiculousness, (Yep, I got the funky, space cadet, colored one)

Also bought a flashlight to go along with my tiny Streamlight.

Where do I start? Well, ever since I was about 8 I've wanted a hobby grade RC car. My parents were young and poor so it was always "no." In 1988 a basic Tamiya "Grasshopper" kit was $125. You then had to buy the steering servo and radio, battery, and charger. In the end it came out to be $200, plus I had to address it. The local hobby shop had an indoor dirt track (the building was the old post office) and my friends and I would go and watch the races.

I'm 44 now, and finally got one. In the beginning of July I bought a $400 Team Associated Pro4 SC10. 1/10 scale. Fully assembled, came with charger and a battery too.

Of course I had to get a second, bigger battery. After a month and a half, I bought a third battery, this time a more powerful 3S. On 3S it will do 50mph, perhaps more. My first run on the 3S I shredded a tire. Granted, the tires didn't have much tread left. So now I have new, better off road tires. Just a week ago I bought "street" tires that are a more expensive and well made brand than the a/t and have adjustable offset.

Monday after work I took it down the street to the local elementary school parking lot. On 3S and street tires it is TERRIFYING! Definitely over the 50mph people online clocked it at on the original A/T tires. The street tires and wider offset definitely help keep it from flipping as easily, though it still does easily at full throttle.

My nephews love this thing because I have ramps and stuff I launch it off of in my backyard. So last weekend I got my nephew a 1/16th scale UDi rc car. It's street only, but for $90 it's a riot. It has an adjustable speed governor, so I put it in the lowest level for him. He loves it and is pretty good with it. We keep it at my house because with four kids, three in sports stuff will get lost. On the highest speed setting I can drift the damn thing. I comes with an extra set of wheels/tires that are hard plastic specifically for drifting.

I ended up getting a second one for myself so when the kids come over we can have races in the school parking lot.

20230918_184632.jpg20230819_175712.jpg20230702_151353.jpg

Frivolous for sure, but a lot of fun and a hell of a lot cheaper than a second car.

Next ridiculous purchase:

In January on the day the Illinois government was signing into effect an "assault weapons ban" I took off work early and went to a local gun shop and bought a Zastava AK-47. The mags were going to be banned, so I bought 3 standard 30 rounders (it came with a 20) and a 100 round drum. And a picatinny rail mount. And some ammo. Then I almost bought a Ruger PC carbine, but I just wasn't prepared to spend that much.

The AK I got was $300 less than normal because A) it has the metal triangle stock and B) it was pre-owned but never fired. The previous owner had it for one day, then decided to buy an FAL instead. I was able to get a matching wood stock for $15 and replaced the stupid and uncomfortable metal one.

20230328_233516.jpg

The year I bought this limited edition Canik TP9 SFX #3919 of 7500 because Star Wars.

20230310_130257.jpg

This next one is probably the most ridiculous because not only did it cost a lot, I've continued to put money into it.

I shoot long guns lefty, and couldn't find a lefty AR in stock anywhere. This looks (and is) badass. I got it slightly used (300 rounds through it) and it had the hydro dip and Manticore arms curved buttpad, as well as had been converted to left handed and ambi safety.

I added:

Shooting sight trigger pack
Sig Romeo 5 XDR Predator green dot
Sig Juliet 4 magnifier
Manticore arms folding charging handle
Geissele Super Sabra adjustable trigger bow
I forget who makes the foregrip and foregrip lower rail.
Case with laser cut foam specific to the gun.

Everything installed myself. All but the trigger bow were easy.

20230119_192835.jpg

View attachment 2305598
I bought this vintage Daiwa seiko SS no.1 on Ebay a couple weeks ago just because it's a nice quality looking reel and because I've heard good things
I don't normally like Japanese fishing reels because in my opinion they mark the beginning of the end with pot metal gears like 99% of modern spinning reels, but I don't hate this one at all.
It's relatively smooth , has a great drag, and is as strong as it needs to be.
That being said it like most spinning reels doesn't hold a candle to the Shakespeare royal maroons and the Greenie / Z series Penn spinfishers, those are the highest quality spinning reels to ever be made and that kind of quality will never be seen again.

I pretty much knew what I was getting into for my $65 but I just had to have it anyways, and it was a joy to service and bring back to life.
I had one of those back in the day. Caught a bunch of fish with it, but they were known for breaking bail springs.
Mine broke, I held onto it for years waiting to find a parts reel.
Finally tossed it.
A couple of years before eBay arrived.
Still have the giant surf fishing version.
And a parts reel lol.

I went and did it again.

Gentlemen, this thing shows up today. The most ridiculous pepper mill on the planet. A Mannkitchen, "Pepper Cannon". It's supposed to be the end all of grinding peppercorns. The absolute best you can buy with a price that'll make you sick to your stomach.

But I wanted it.

Saw an ad on YouTube, with those stupid things that you have to watch before you watch your video. I bought a pencil, automatic pencil, little push button deal. I never actually use a pencil unless I'm marking wood or something. But this one as you write with it. The lead rotates around so it's always at a point. It's kind of cool and you can see it work but it's a pencil. A $9 pencil. Not that expensive but still it's a $9 pencil with rotating lead.
That's just the most recent, prior to that I bought an electric pumpkin carving knife so I could take it apart and turn it into an electric pick gun.

F’ing $200 pen. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would want one or buy one, but this one has become indispensable.

1697775571304.jpeg

Nottingham Tactical TiClicker, fluted with dots, for any wondering.

A commemorative special edition Vaughan #999 hammer, a little too nice to use maybe and I already have my user's so I'll probably just collect it but as a Vaughan & Bushnell fan I just had to have it.
10569 Sanford PAS.jpg
I'm guessing they probably aren't selling very quickly because they're 2019 dated.
they'll sell eventually I'm sure, and then in 10 years people will be trying to get a fortune for them on Ebay.

Back