Taggedout...thoughts?

I like orange handles because they are easier to find after I drop them. So, for a few weeks, I carried an orange Taggedout with the slot instead of a thumb stud. I can flick it open OK with my middle finger, but I much prefer a thumb stud. I think the Bailout with 3V is better except in wet weather.

I grabbed one of the new OD greed tagged outs from my local dealer today - LOVE it... improves on everything I didn't like on the old one :)

I think for hunting specific, I'd still prefer magnacut, noncoated, and no thumbstuds, but this will be my hunting folder this year for sure!!
Can you expand a bit on your experience and what you appreciated more compared to the original? I ask as i have the original in the NW variant with highland green cerakote. I really like it, but I find it a bit unbalanced due to the handle being so light, and the slot is good, but not great.

Can you expand a bit on your experience and what you appreciated more compared to the original? I ask as i have the original in the NW variant with highland green cerakote. I really like it, but I find it a bit unbalanced due to the handle being so light, and the slot is good, but not great.
Balance is much improved and scales are more rigid. No flex - back spacer helps with this as well. I prefer the thumbstud as well - it's very well placed and makes for a great spydie flick.

Steel is better too. All around it's a much improved design IMO.

The new one is a great improvement, wanted one before but couldnt get past the opening slot, now with thumbstuds its a game changer for me, I also hated the orange and I really like the back spacer/lanyard hole like I have on my 535-3. I just want to wait and see the CF/Magnacut version before I decide which one to grab, the CF would go great with my 535-3 and 940-1 but its going to come down to cost, I have a feeling its going to be way more than its worth, it will obviously have the benchmade carbon fibre tax but have a feeling the magnacut being the new thing that they will charge even more than the s90v tax add in the price increases the last year as well

anyone know when its supposed to drop?

The new one is a great improvement, wanted one before but couldnt get past the opening slot, now with thumbstuds its a game changer for me, I also hated the orange and I really like the back spacer/lanyard hole like I have on my 535-3. I just want to wait and see the CF/Magnacut version before I decide which one to grab, the CF would go great with my 535-3 and 940-1 but its going to come down to cost, I have a feeling its going to be way more than its worth, it will obviously have the benchmade carbon fibre tax but have a feeling the magnacut being the new thing that they will charge even more than the s90v tax add in the price increases the last year as well

anyone know when its supposed to drop?
I was under the impression that the magnacut/CF version was going to be with opening slot only. Is there more info out there?

I was under the impression that the magnacut/CF version was going to be with opening slot only. Is there more info out there?

Ouch, if that's the case then it's a no go for me, I don't know why I hate them so much but I can't stand it on any knife which is unfortunate as there are some otherwise great knives. But yet I am a big fan of the spydie hole, but the slot is just awkward to me and ugly

Ouch, if that's the case then it's a no go for me, I don't know why I hate them so much but I can't stand it on any knife which is unfortunate as there are some otherwise great knives. But yet I am a big fan of the spydie hole, but the slot is just awkward to me and ugly
I have the older 154cm version with slot. I find it deploys great with reverse finger flick and also with slow thumb roll. I would agree that thumbs studs would be nice and would make for a satisfying thumb flick.

I’ve carried the OD green G-10 version for a week now. I like it so far. I’ve used it in the kitchen and around the homestead a bit as well as at work. I find the selectedge a godsend. It cuts like a Spyderco flat grind which I love. I was going to buy a Bugout, but I don’t like the blade profile, and wanted a little longer blade, whereas I love the Crooked River blade but wanted a thin knife. This seems to be the right combo. The orange thumb studs and back spacer nicely set off the aesthetic too.

There is a good write-up on the Benchmade S45VN Taggedout in the November 2023 issue of Blade Magazine. Only negative thing said by the author in the write-up was that he did not recommend any twisting motion of the blade while cutting. Had to do with blade thickness (very thin) and the 14-degree Select Edge.

Last edited:
Back