Toohr #3 knife sharpener

I am still waiting for mine but looks like there is more info about it than it was a month back:

Russian review, you can turn on subtitles and automatic translation to english:
Make sure you give us a review when you receive it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I received mine today and have to say I am impressed with the quality, materials, and design. It is not the usual almost-good-knockoff. I have spent quite a bit of time disassembling it further to get access to several screws to be sure they were tight--they weren't--which was time well spent. The 'gimbal' holding the rod guide is still holding me up. It is attached by a screw with a nut; the nut is recessed deep in the aluminum bracket. The recess is just barely larger than the nut and is on TIGHT--so far I haven't found a socket with a thin enough wall to fit into the recess! The problem is that I cannot hold the nut securely to remove the screw. There must be a shoulder on the screw shaft to permit rotation but there is some wobble--my idea is to use a teflon or delrin washer to take up a little space once I get the screw out.

What attracted me to this device? First, I've never been able to reliably sharpen a knife so I researched. The adjustable angle feature lead me to this one of the several brands and methods out there. While it isn't cheap at about $136.00, it is way, way cheaper than the brands that look similar in beefiness, features, and design. I like the heft of the machined aluminum parts. Most are about 3/4" thick. I like the way the 2 8mm rods and acme-threaded screw shaft are attached and supported, giving a VERY stable platform to guide the stone holder rod. It has double ball bearings or bronze inserts everywhere you'd like to have them. The machined fit and finish (soft satin) go beyond what is expected in this price range and look the same to me as the top-priced ones (images). The stone holder is adjustable from about 3" (75mm) to 7" plus (it says) and is about 3/4" wide which I understand should accommodate most stones. Of particular interest is the idea of using an electonic angle detector (not included) which hopefully will eliminate my main fear--setting and maintaining the proper angle. I am very pleased overall and look forward to seeing what it can do. There is a precisely graduated scale on the long base and I am stumped to think of any way it can be useful! Any ideas?

Note: If someone is having trouble turning the crank on top of the verticle threaded rod, try this--tighten both bottom screws that attach the 2 smooth rods to the base. Then loosen the 2 screws at the top that hold the smooth rods in place. Adjust the screws until the crank turns satisfactorily but without slop. You will need to remove the crank/knurled knob to gain access to the screws.

PS: Having trouble understanding this? My apologies! If I were fluent in German (hands down the best technical writing language), it might have been a little more decipherable! Also, if I had more experience I might have reacted differently and my opinion could well be changed after I give it a fair trial.🤨😀😐

The Russian review is very informative about the long side-to-side base and sharpening angles. The automatic translation from Russian to English ranges from excellent to awful, but most of the review is understandable.

A minor info, that 3d Anvil was nice enough to share in some other topic, toohr #3 is very similar to SJ Multigrinder (935 eur), but very smartly upgraded with various details which in theory should make it better, for instance "tower" turned for 90 degrees which makes it sturdier.

Last edited:
The Russian review is very informative about the long side-to-side base and sharpening angles. The automatic translation from Russian to English ranges from excellent to awful, but most of the review is understandable.
Could you please give the title of the Russian review, if you're prevented by rules from providing the link? I've searched YouTube but so far haven't found one in Russian. I am anxious to learn what he has to say. Thank you!

Update--I finally found a thin wall 1/4" drive socket that would fit into that 'recess'. Had I not done so, I was prepared to grind down the circumference until it would fit. Anyway, it is an 8mm LOCK NUT but my skinny 5/16 socket fits very well. The screw goes thru a ball bearing with a thin washer on either side of the bearing. I removed the bottom washer and replaced it with a thicker (nylon?) washer, carefully tightened the nut so there's no slop. In time, it may be the nylon will deform and require just a smidge more torque.

I echo S Skeptical , and highly recommend this sharpener. I had to perform the same adjustments as Skeptical articulated above. If minor cosmetic blemishes bother you, do not buy this item. If you want a solid unit that will hold its own against sharpeners 2x-4x more expensive, then buy this item. I am not compensated or otherwise affiliated with the manufacture or distributer, just a great option for those of us who like to sharpen knives, but don't have 1k-2k USD to drop on a hobby.

I got my Toohr #3 two weeks ago. After tightening things up, I had two remaining issues. First, the spring did not hold the stones firmly enough for my liking. I solved that with a $1.50 spring from the hardware store. Now I don't even bother tightening the stone retaining screw, although I probably should. The second issue occurs with some blades shapes. To be fair, no high end knife sharpener seems to handle every blade shape with a single set of clamps. When trying to clamp smaller blades where the clamps have to take up too much of the blade width, you end up with the clamps interfering with the stones in two ways when trying to achieve lower angles. This shows up on one of the Ukrainian videos when he tries to sharpen a Mora clone on the Toohr 3. First, the screws protruding from the other side and interfere. Shorter screws solves this easily. Second, the clamps do not come to a point at the end, so the somewhat tall ends of the clamps interfere. I solved that by filing the clamp ends down to an almost sharp point at 15 degrees. Now I think they will work for nearly any blade, although I think it is impossible for a single clamp design to work for any conceiveable blade type. A couple of other notes: I did not know how much I would love the ability to slide the tower...it really helps you keep the stone perpendicular on long blades. The pivoting mechanism shows no measureable change in sharpening angle when clamped to a straight steel ruler, but with real knives having different shapes, both the blade shape and the care of the user in clamping come into play. Clamping and measuring a dozen differrent blade shapes, I got differences in angles when I flipped from 0.0 degrees to 0.3 degrees, the worst being with some odd shaped blades that were hard to clamp symetrically. I don't think there is any universal clamp design that could be perfect with any blade shape and size, so for me this is acceptable because of the design of the angle adjustment. If I want the angle to be maintained exactly to the tenth of degree, it takes me litterally a few seconds on each flip to re-adjust. A couple of hours of work and a trip to the hardware store and I feel that this is almost like an $800 machine and in some ways (the sliding tower) better. Ask any questions you want and I will try to answer.

I was ready to order a KAK Britva sword sharpener but they are sold out with possiblity of never being restocked due to the situation in Eastern Europe. This might be able to cover large sword length blades with that sliding track. For the price it may be worth a shot. Does this use readily availible stones like Edge Pro and Venev?

I was ready to order a KAK Britva sword sharpener but they are sold out with possiblity of never being restocked due to the situation in Eastern Europe. This might be able to cover large sword length blades with that sliding track. For the price it may be worth a shot. Does this use readily availible stones like Edge Pro and Venev?
It uses Edge Pro stones. Currently the store I bought it from on AliExpress is out of them.

It uses Edge Pro stones. Currently the store I bought it from on AliExpress is out of them.

I'll keep my eye and will very likely pick one of these up, it looks great for the money and possibly capable of some tasks that others would struggle with. I don't mind doing some mods to make a good tool, great. Thanks for the user reports!

I'll keep my eye and will very likely pick one of these up, it looks great for the money and possibly capable of some tasks that others would struggle with. I don't mind doing some mods to make a good tool, great. Thanks for the user reports!
You can also now get a complete range of diamond sharpening plates from 80-3000 grit that attach to a magnetic base that are suitable for all these sharpeners.

One little update, if you order it, get another set of "stones", those included are absolute rubbish, especially lower grit ones will wear in no time.

You can also now get a complete range of diamond sharpening plates from 80-3000 grit that attach to a magnetic base that are suitable for all these sharpeners.

Copy that. I have stones that will work, just need to find the actual sharpening system.

Can someone PM me a link to the sharpener please? I've tried searching "toohr sharpener", " toohr #3" etc. and not seeing any of the model no. 3 listed, only a similar red anodized model (not sure which it is but isn't the same as the vids above).

Last edited:
Copy that. I have stones that will work, just need to find the actual sharpening system.

Can someone PM me a link to the sharpener please? I've tried searching "toohr sharpener", " toohr #3" etc. and not seeing any of the model no. 3 listed, only a similar red anodized model (not sure which it is but isn't the same as the vids above).
The reason that none come up when you search is because the two sources (that I know of) that carry them are currently out of them. They are the Toohr official site and the KPIXN site. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...tewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

The reason that none come up when you search is because the two sources (that I know of) that carry them are currently out of them. They are the Toohr official site and the KPIXN site.

Crazy, they had like 2k units when I checked.

Back