Toohr #3 knife sharpener

5 - You can sharpen much larger knives on it than with a Wicked Edge, and the rear tower is moveable from side to side.

I think that most will over look this feature and just how useful it could be. A big complaint when sharpening pocket knives is thumb studs getting in the way of sharpening. You could move the tower to the side and get the heel of the blade without hitting the thumbstud at all. Then of course sharpening serrated knives and other things demonstrated on the SchleifJunkies machine.

Will do. Not sure if it is raw aluminum, or if it was just not anodized with a colour. There was a $60 price difference between the 2 and shipping was the same price as the machine so I cheaped out. Not sure why the US would get free shipping when Canada would not.
Quite likely raw aluminum, but it would be a nice option. The red looks great when new, but after some extensive use the silver aluminum would age much better. My red anodizing is already showing a little bit of wear just from the shipping.

LOL, yeah, I've given up trying to figure out how sellers on AliExpress calculate their shipping. The shipping rate (and time) for various products seem to be a random lucky draw experience.

I think that most will over look this feature and just how useful it could be. A big complaint when sharpening pocket knives is thumb studs getting in the way of sharpening. You could move the tower to the side and get the heel of the blade without hitting the thumbstud at all. Then of course sharpening serrated knives and other things demonstrated on the SchleifJunkies machine.
I couldn't agree more. I thought it would be a gimmick but after some use, I now absolutely love the movable tower for exactly the reason you pointed out. Thumb studs, plunge grinds and the occasional serrated blade.

I slide the tower one way or the other to align with the plunge grind line when I flip the knife over and it's an awesome feature to have. I don't have that feature on any of my other high end sharpeners.

I couldn't agree more. I thought it would be a gimmick but after some use, I now absolutely love the movable tower for exactly the reason you pointed out. Thumb studs, plunge grinds and the occasional serrated blade.

I slide the tower one way or the other to align with the plunge grind line when I flip the knife over and it's an awesome feature to have. I don't have that feature on any of my other high end sharpeners.
Thanks for the reply earlier! With the moving tower, it appears to be a great feature to keep the angle consistent parallel to the spine when sharpening in the upper top region.

Thanks for the reply earlier! With the moving tower, it appears to be a great feature to keep the angle consistent parallel to the spine when sharpening in the upper top region.
Pleasure, happy to help.

FYI, even though the tower is great for many things, It's actually a commonly misunderstood idea that it would assist in a consistent sharpening edge angle. This is often discussed as a shortcoming of fixed angle systems, even though it is not actually true. The movable tower is great for getting perpendicular into serrations, missing thumb studs, following grind / plunge lines during sharpening etc. but it won't make a difference in actual edge sharpening angles.

With any fixed angle sharpening system the actual sharpening angle stays consistent at the extreme sides, even though it logically doesn't appear to. (Think of the pitch of a roof with a rope tied to the top middle. The pitch stays the same, even though the angle of the rope perpendicular to the gutter edge changes left or right.) The pitch angle can only change when the gutter is closer to or further away from the top of the roof. Hope this makes sense? So, the only sharpening angle change is where the edge curves away from or towards the sharpening pivot point.

This is why it is important to rotate your digital angle cube to be perpendicular to your sharping plane (gutter edge in the top example) when measurement sharpening angle, or it will appear to be changing angles as you move left or right.

As a matter of interest, the new TSProf Axicube digital 3 axis inclinometer system is designed to show true angle when you move left or right, not so with regular digital angle cubes.

Last edited:
Cant seem to find the raw alum version. Have to admit this intrigues me. I have a KME and even bought aftermarket 6in stone holder for it but this is a pretty compelling system if it is actually manufactured well and put together with some modicum of care.

I do wish that it was available through some other medium other than aliexpress. Right now it looks like the price is fluctuating dramatically and I am seeing it for 120$ plus $40 shipping to the US. Not worth it at that price for me but will definitely keep an eye out for other locations and peoples experiences here.

Pleasure, happy to help.

FYI, even though the tower is great for many things, It's actually a commonly misunderstood idea that it would assist in a consistent sharpening edge angle. This is often discussed as a shortcoming of fixed angle systems, even though it is not actually true. The movable tower is great for getting perpendicular into serrations, missing thumb studs, following grind / plunge lines during sharpening etc. but it won't make a difference in actual edge sharpening angles.

With any fixed angle sharpening system the actual sharpening angle stays consistent at the extreme sides, even though it logically doesn't appear to. (Think of the pitch of a roof with a rope tied to the top middle. The pitch stays the same, even though the angle of the rope perpendicular to the gutter edge changes left or right.) The pitch angle can only change when the gutter is closer to or further away from the top of the roof. Hope this makes sense? So, the only sharpening angle change is where the edge curves away from or towards the sharpening pivot point.

This is why it is important to rotate your digital angle cube to be perpendicular to your sharping plane (gutter edge in the top example) when measurement sharpening angle, or it will appear to be changing angles as you move left or right.

As a matter of interest, the new TSProf Axicube digital 3 axis inclinometer system is designed to show true angle when you move left or right, not so with regular digital angle cubes.
Wow, that’s makes sense. I am thinking about buying another system then that is smaller but I want a system that can do at least 8 degrees for my kitchen knives. Some of these angle systems are limited to only 15 degrees, smh.

I do wish that it was available through some other medium other than aliexpress. Right now it looks like the price is fluctuating dramatically and I am seeing it for 120$ plus $40 shipping to the US. Not worth it at that price for me but will definitely keep an eye out for other locations and peoples experiences here.

Keep an eye out on www.gritomatic.com, they are looking into supplying the Toohr system in the USA. They've already asked me to design accessories for the Toohr system, so they are seriously looking at supplying it.

Wow, that’s makes sense. I am thinking about buying another system then that is smaller but I want a system that can do at least 8 degrees for my kitchen knives. Some of these angle systems are limited to only 15 degrees, smh.
Gritomatic will soon be selling my 3D printed Leading Edge sharpening system, keep an eye out. You'll be able to sharpen as low as you want to on my magnetic mount, or use optional metal clamps, sharpen scissors, chisels etc.

Hopefully they will start selling them soon.

Gritomatic will soon be selling my 3D printed Leading Edge sharpening system, keep an eye out. You'll be able to sharpen as low as you want to on my magnetic mount, or use optional metal clamps, sharpen scissors, chisels etc.

Hopefully they will start selling them soon.
Wow, is it like a wicked edge vertical or a horizontal sharpener? What’s the price going to be? Thanks

Wow, is it like a wicked edge vertical or a horizontal sharpener? What’s the price going to be? Thanks

Gritomatic will decide the final price, but I prefer it to be as affordable as possible. Here are some links:

Keep an eye out on www.gritomatic.com, they are looking into supplying the Toohr system in the USA. They've already asked me to design accessories for the Toohr system, so they are seriously looking at supplying it.
Fantastic. In the mean time I continue to support your KME products and very much enjoying my 6in stone holder and no wobble base you designed for gritomatic as well! keep up the good work would love to see the KME bars for aftermarket clamps come back into stock

Fantastic. In the mean time I continue to support your KME products and very much enjoying my 6in stone holder and no wobble base you designed for gritomatic as well! keep up the good work would love to see the KME bars for aftermarket clamps come back into stock

Awesome C c7m2p3 , glad you like them!

Regarding the KME clamp bars, I actually already designed some KME clamp bars for Gritomatic some time ago, not sure when they will release those but maybe check with them directly about the possibility of sending you one of them. Drop them an email via their "contact us" link and tell them I told you about it.

I especially like the KME bar for Hapstone R2 Lite clamps. That's my favorite one. :)

Oh, and I also just finished my Leading Edge magnetic platform for KME which Gritomatic now has. That's one you might like a lot. Pics below:

IMG_20220928_224018.jpg

IMG_20220929_082454.jpg

IMG_20220928_211336.jpg

Last edited:
Cant seem to find the raw alum version. Have to admit this intrigues me. I have a KME and even bought aftermarket 6in stone holder for it but this is a pretty compelling system if it is actually manufactured well and put together with some modicum of care.

Try item 33016335854 for the raw aluminum. Normal discount seems to be 30% or so, new user discount I got was 50%.

777 Edge, still waiting for your V-Sharpener to go on sale at Gritomatic-
Oh, and I also just finished my Leading Edge magnetic platform for KME which Gritomatic now has. That's one you might like a lot. Pics below:
Going to buy one whenever it becomes available-
3 - You can install commonly available aftermarket clamps / attachments to it.
I'm hoping for a magnetic table for the toohr 3. I see the SJ-Multigrinder copy is also available.

Awesome C c7m2p3 , glad you like them!

Regarding the KME clamp bars, I actually already designed some KME clamp bars for Gritomatic some time ago, not sure when they will release those but maybe check with them directly about the possibility of sending you one of them. Drop them an email via their "contact us" link and tell them I told you about it.

I especially like the KME bar for Hapstone R2 Lite clamps. That's my favorite one. :)

View attachment 1964709

View attachment 1964710

View attachment 1964711
This is great. I don't see it on their site either is this still in the process of being pushed out as well?

I received my Toohr #3 sharpener a couple days ago and I'm very impressed...mostly. This is by far the best sharpener that has come out of China.

I needed to fully disassemble my unit to re-tighten and torque up all the screws, that was definitely necessary. The quality is top-notch but the factory assembly sucks. It's easily solved with 30 minutes of work though so not a major problem. One of the most important parts that needed a firm tightening (same as @Skeptical 's unit) was the screw and nut holding the sharpening rod gimbal/bearing holder in place. I simply wedged a 2mm hex head screwdriver into the hole next to the nut, which stopped it from rotating while I tightened the top hex screw. I also replaced my digital angle cube holder platform with a magnetic one - the metal strip they stuck on the stone holder was not ferrous, so magnets do not stick to it.

I needed to fully disassemble my vertical tower and screw rod, because the 2-part brass threaded holder with spring was assembled incorrectly and not doing it's job at all. I also needed to move and reinstall the small drill stop collar in position at the top of the threaded rod, inside the top stop under the crank handle (mine was loose and this allowed the threaded rod to come out of the bottom stop when the angle was set all the way down. It was a good thing I disassembled the screw rod, because I found the bearing at the bottom of the threaded rod (inside the bottom stop) to be completely misaligned. There are 2 different bearing types supporting the bottom of the screw rod, FYI.

I made the mistake of removing one of the stops on the rear horizontal "ruler" bar to get to the bearings. When I slid out the horizontal assembly of the tower, some of the small ball bearings fell out and it was an absolute PITA to get them back in place while sliding the tower base back onto the bar. Note - Don't remove those stops if you get a Toohr #3 unless you want to use a week's worth of curse words in five minutes. :)

The screw inside the wing nut holder for locking the tower onto the horizontal bar was also completely loose. I solved this by installing a washer under the screw head, on top of the wing nut.

Another shortcoming (excuse the pun), is the fact that you can't rotate the knife clamp bar unless you have the end hang over the side of a table. If it was 15mm higher, then it would have cleared without needing to hang over the side of a table.

After reassembly and some Gunny glide for lubrication, it's an awesome system. My only major complaint is the knife clamps. They don't work well on most of the knives that I've tested so far; they flex too much when tightening, which then causes them to misalign with the knife grind - especially with FFG knives.

Big bonus though is the fact that the clamp bar works perfectly with any TSProf K03 or Kadet clamps - it's like it was made for them! :cool: Hapstone clamps will also work on the bar, if you buy the "Gearconnect" TSProf clamp adapter for Hapstone clamps from Gritomatic.

I'm already designing some parts and upgrades for the Toohr #3 system, which will be available in due time from www.gritomatic.com. I'm designing the following:

1 - Feet (Or alternatively an Extension Spacer) to make it slightly higher so the rotating bar can actually rotate without needing to hang over the side of a table.
2 - Extension tubes for 4" and 6" stones (to be installed behind the stone holder bar handle). The spring supplied is the wrong length, and also cannot be used with a spring for short stones. Extension tubes will allow spring-loaded use with 4 inch and 6 inch stones, including Venev stones and non-backed stones.
3 - Parking hook/holder extension so a TSProf K03 parking hook can be used on the Toohr system.
4 - Leading Edge Magnetic Platform for Toohr #3 (Same platform will be available for the TSProf K03 and Kadet)
Is the clamp replacement necessary for regular kitchen knives? What’s the benefit of replacing the clamps? Thanks

777 Edge, still waiting for your V-Sharpener to go on sale at Gritomatic-

Going to buy one whenever it becomes available-

I'm hoping for a magnetic table for the toohr 3. I see the SJ-Multigrinder copy is also available.

Gritomatic has my V-sharpener ready and in stock, so I assume they will hopefully release it soon.

Regarding the Toohr magnetic base - when they release it, it will probably initially be sold only as a Tsprof Kadet / K03 magnetic base, but the same one fits on the Toohr bar.

Back