Toohr #3 knife sharpener

One little update, if you order it, get another set of "stones", those included are absolute rubbish, especially lower grit ones will wear in no time.
LOL that such a highly "engineered" tool would ship with such low quality stones, maybe it is too expensive to import good stones, tongue firmly in cheek...
OTOH, The tools silver and red ano asthetic, 15.75 inch slide and fine scribing, and stone holder's tower / arm / wing nut / adjusters / are praise worthy.
It needs a magnetic table, and 2 piece stone holder might make mounting stones fiddly as well.
similar to SJ Multigrinder (935 eur), but very smartly upgraded
as SJ Multigrinder's proto-type clones are 1/4th the euro's, wonder what Hans Plag thinks of all this... translation OK- machine English translated from German starting about 25:48, Han's speaks about China clones. He does not mind as long as cloner's do not represent their units as being "made in Germany", referencing a part that cost 8 euros in china, but 60 in Germany, he will take German part. Magnanimous in deed...

Last edited:
Close to my heart is Han's showing grand daughter how to sharpen knife for the first time. His son walks in, who sharpened his first knife the day before on the SJ-Multigrinder. Lots of practical teaching visited here. CBN plated diamond set. In backround is a library of Tormek stones, and he has a vid comparing a T8 TO his Multigrinder-

Last edited:
LOL that such a highly "engineered" tool would ship with such low quality stones, maybe it is too expensive to import good stones, tongue firmly in cheek...
OTOH, The tools silver and red ano asthetic, 15.75 inch slide and fine scribing, and stone holder's tower / arm / wing nut / adjusters / are praise worthy.
It needs a magnetic table, and 2 piece stone holder might make mounting stones fiddly as well.

as SJ Multigrinder's proto-type clones are 1/4th the euro's, wonder what Hans Plag thinks of all this... translation OK- machine English translated from German starting about 25:48, Han's speaks about China clones. He does not mind as long as cloner's do not represent their units as being "made in Germany", referencing a part that cost 8 euros in china, but 60 in Germany, he will take German part. Magnanimous in deed...

Theres no doubt that the SJ's quality is likely superb, but spending nearly $1000 to find out it won't do what I need it to do (sword length blades, non standard blade shapes like pole arms etc.) Would really suck, especially when I have a system (Hapstone R2/V8) that will do common knives already and also cost me hundreds.

I was ready to spend hundreds on the KAK Britva sword sharpener, which without a doubt would do what I need it to do. Unfortunately there is the possibility of never being restocked according to gritomatic, due to the war in Eastern Europe, sanctions etc. I've looked at SJ's machine too, but besides the high price and no gaurentee it will do what I need; not all parts/accessories are availible (out of stock). Extremely frustrating only having half of what you want/need availible for purchase. This is the biggest problem with all these systems. You can buy the system but can't get the clamps, you can buy the clamps but can't get the system etc. etc. Can you imagine buying a $1000 dollar paper weight with no gaurentee you will ever be able to get the parts/accessories you need to make it functional for your intended use? I can't count on maybe being restocked with no ETA.

Last edited:
AlongTheRazorsEdge, if you have not done so yet and don't want to wait for the Toohr 3, or get an SJ-Multigrinder copy, see if KME Axe Sharpener might be of service for your specific needs?

Last edited:
I received my Toohr #3 sharpener a couple days ago and I'm very impressed...mostly. This is by far the best sharpener that has come out of China.

I needed to fully disassemble my unit to re-tighten and torque up all the screws, that was definitely necessary. The quality is top-notch but the factory assembly sucks. It's easily solved with 30 minutes of work though so not a major problem. One of the most important parts that needed a firm tightening (same as S Skeptical 's unit) was the screw and nut holding the sharpening rod gimbal/bearing holder in place. I simply wedged a 2mm hex head screwdriver into the hole next to the nut, which stopped it from rotating while I tightened the top hex screw. I also replaced my digital angle cube holder platform with a magnetic one - the metal strip they stuck on the stone holder was not ferrous, so magnets do not stick to it.

I needed to fully disassemble my vertical tower and screw rod, because the 2-part brass threaded holder with spring was assembled incorrectly and not doing it's job at all. I also needed to move and reinstall the small drill stop collar in position at the top of the threaded rod, inside the top stop under the crank handle (mine was loose and this allowed the threaded rod to come out of the bottom stop when the angle was set all the way down. It was a good thing I disassembled the screw rod, because I found the bearing at the bottom of the threaded rod (inside the bottom stop) to be completely misaligned. There are 2 different bearing types supporting the bottom of the screw rod, FYI.

I made the mistake of removing one of the stops on the rear horizontal "ruler" bar to get to the bearings. When I slid out the horizontal assembly of the tower, some of the small ball bearings fell out and it was an absolute PITA to get them back in place while sliding the tower base back onto the bar. Note - Don't remove those stops if you get a Toohr #3 unless you want to use a week's worth of curse words in five minutes. :)

The screw inside the wing nut holder for locking the tower onto the horizontal bar was also completely loose. I solved this by installing a washer under the screw head, on top of the wing nut.

Another shortcoming (excuse the pun), is the fact that you can't rotate the knife clamp bar unless you have the end hang over the side of a table. If it was 15mm higher, then it would have cleared without needing to hang over the side of a table.

After reassembly and some Gunny glide on the rods and other grease for lubrication, it's an awesome system. My only real complaint is the knife clamps. They don't work well on many of the knives that I've tested so far; they flex too much when tightening them to try get them aligned with some grinds, which can cause their tips to flex open and misalign with the knife grind - especially with some FFG knives. That being said - they do work just fine on many different knives, especially if you clamp one of them on a flat section of your blade (like the ricasso), and the other closer towards the tip.

Big bonus though is the fact that the clamp bar works perfectly with any TSProf K03 or Kadet clamps - it's like it was made for them! :cool: Hapstone clamps will also work on the bar, if you buy the "Gearconnect" TSProf clamp adapter for Hapstone clamps from Gritomatic.

I'm already designing some parts and upgrades for the Toohr #3 system, which will be available in due time from www.gritomatic.com. I'm designing the following:

1 - Feet (Or alternatively an Extension Spacer) to make it slightly higher so the rotating bar can actually rotate without needing to hang over the side of a table.
2 - Extension tubes for 4" and 6" stones (to be installed behind the stone holder bar handle). The spring supplied is the wrong length, and also cannot be used with a spring for short stones. Extension tubes will allow spring-loaded use with 4 inch and 6 inch stones, including Venev stones and non-backed stones.
3 - Parking hook/holder extension so a TSProf K03 parking hook can be used on the Toohr system.
4 - Leading Edge Magnetic Platform for Toohr #3 (Same platform will be available for the TSProf K03 and Kadet)

Last edited:
I received my Toohr #3 sharpener a couple days ago and spoiler alert - I'm very impressed...mostly. This is by far the best sharpener that has come out of China so far.

I needed to fully disassemble my unit to re-tighten and torque up all the screws, that was definitely necessary. The quality is top-notch but the factory assembly sucks. It's easily solved with 30 minutes of work though so not a major problem. One of the most important parts that needed a firm tightening (same as S Skeptical 's unit) was the screw and nut holding the sharpening rod gimbal/bearing holder in place. I simply wedged a 2mm hex head screwdriver into the hole next to the nut, which stopped it from rotating while I tightened the top hex screw. I also replaced my digital angle cube holder platform with a magnetic one - the metal strip they stuck on the stone holder was not ferrous, so magnets do not stick to it.

I needed to fully disassemble my vertical tower and screw rod, because the 2-part brass threaded holder with spring was assembled incorrectly and not doing it's job at all. I also needed to move and reinstall the small drill stop collar in position at the top of the threaded rod, inside the top stop under the crank handle (mine was loose and this allowed the threaded rod to come out of the bottom stop when the angle was set all the way down. It was a good thing I disassembled the screw rod, because I found the bearing at the bottom of the threaded rod (inside the bottom stop) to be completely misaligned. There are 2 different bearing types supporting the bottom of the screw rod, FYI.

I made the mistake of removing one of the stops on the rear horizontal "ruler" bar to get to the bearings. When I slid out the horizontal assembly of the tower, some of the small ball bearings fell out and it was an absolute PITA to get them back in place while sliding the tower base back onto the bar. Note - Don't remove those stops if you get a Toohr #3 unless you want to use a week's worth of curse words in five minutes. :)

The screw inside the wing nut holder for locking the tower onto the horizontal bar was also completely loose. I solved this by installing a washer under the screw head, on top of the wing nut.

Another shortcoming (excuse the pun), is the fact that you can't rotate the knife clamp bar unless you have the end hang over the side of a table. If it was 15mm higher, then it would have cleared without needing to hang over the side of a table.

After reassembly and some Gunny glide for lubrication, it's an awesome system. My only major complaint is the knife clamps. They don't work well on most of the knives that I've tested so far; they flex too much when tightening, which then causes them to misalign with the knife grind - especially with FFG knives.

Big bonus though is the fact that the clamp bar works perfectly with any TSProf K03 or Kadet clamps - it's like it was made for them! :cool: Hapstone clamps will also work on the bar, if you buy the "Gearconnect" TSProf clamp adapter for Hapstone clamps from Gritomatic.

I'm already designing some parts and upgrades for the Toohr #3 system, which will be available in due time from www.gritomatic.com. I'm designing the following:

1 - Feet to make it slightly higher so the rotating bar can actually rotate without needing to hang over the side of a table.
2 - Extension tubes for 4" and 6" stones (to be installed behind the stone holder bar handle). The spring supplied is the wrong length, and also cannot be used with a spring for short stones. Extension tubes will allow spring-loaded use with 4 inch and 6 inch stones, including Venev stones and non-backed stones.
3 - Parking hook/holder extension so a TSProf K03 parking hook can be used on the Toohr system.
4 - Leading Edge Magnetic Platform for Toohr #3 (Same platform will be available for the TSProf K03 and Kadet)

Thank you for the thorough review on what you did. It is odd that it is high quality and yet so shoddily assembled at the same time. Better than low quality and perfectly assembled I guess 😂

For feet the other channel just used some wooden blocks so that would be a quick and dirty solution to raise it a bit, especially if you are a woodworker and have scraps of better looking wood laying around.

Nice surprise that the Tsprof clamps fit perfectly. I suppose if you upgraded you could modify the stock clamps to suit some specific purpose such as filing out some metal from inside the jaws to fit a FFG or some other odd grind perfectly.

Looking forward to seeing your printed upgrades for it. I think I really will have to pick one up now. Hopefully they don't jack the price up with the recent popularity.

I received my Toohr #3 sharpener a couple days ago and spoiler alert - I'm very impressed...mostly. This is by far the best sharpener that has come out of China so far.

After reassembly and some Gunny glide for lubrication, it's an awesome system. My only major complaint is the knife clamps. They don't work well on most of the knives that I've tested so far; they flex too much when tightening, which then causes them to misalign with the knife grind - especially with FFG knives.

1 - Feet to make it slightly higher so the rotating bar can actually rotate without needing to hang over the side of a table.
I thought it might work with the TSProf clamps. Unfortunately they cost as much as the entire Toohr sharpener.

I thought it might work with the TSProf clamps. Unfortunately they cost as much as the entire Toohr sharpener.
A set of Hapstone Lite clamps paired up with Gritomatic's Gearconnect adapters works perfectly on it too. Gritomatic has both available.

The only thing that could possibly be necessary, is a set of longer M5 screws/thumb screws. The set supplied with the Gearconnect adapter below, might be too short - depending on the length Gritomatic provides.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of what I've designed for the Toohr#3 thus far:

Extension block (bottom) and magnetic platform (top)

IMG_20221016_012340.jpg

Parking hook adapter for a TSProf parking hook. This works much better than the Toohr one.

IMG_20221016_012433.jpg

Spacer tubes for 4 and 6 inch stones so there is no need to use a bunch of springs. 6 inch stone spacer shown in pic.

IMG_20221016_012426.jpg

I also swapped out the M6 thumb screws for much nicer and bigger ones. The original ones are too small.

IMG_20221016_012456.jpg

Last edited:
They are actually back in stock as of last night. Not sure if I can post a link or not. Google "toohr Knife Sharpening Frame Professional Fixed Angle Sharpener Whetstone High Precision Grinder Sharpening Tools W/Rail" and it should be the first result. If you look through the store the silver version is quite a bit cheaper. Got mine for $72 US ($100 CAD) with a new user discount.

Good day, for anyone that has this device. I was looking at the wicked edge, how would you compare it to the wicked edge? Thanks
1 - It's a lot cheaper than a Wicked Edge system.
2 - You can use a wide variety of sharpening stones on it, so you won't be limited to one brand & type of stones.
3 - You can install commonly available aftermarket clamps / attachments to it.
4 - You only need 1 of each stone grit (Wicked Edge needs 2 stones of each grit).
5 - You can sharpen much larger knives on it than with a Wicked Edge, and the rear tower is moveable from side to side.
6 - It can use multiple clamps at the same time - this helps a lot with flexible or long blades.

With the right stones, your knives will be just as sharp as what you'll get them on a Wicked Edge system.

Don't bother ordering the Chinese aluminium oxide (white & terracotta coloured) stones with it. They are junk stones. If you order stones with it, be sure to get the diamond plated stones. Alternatively order any other stones you want from Gritomatic USA.

They are actually back in stock as of last night. Not sure if I can post a link or not. Google "toohr Knife Sharpening Frame Professional Fixed Angle Sharpener Whetstone High Precision Grinder Sharpening Tools W/Rail" and it should be the first result. If you look through the store the silver version is quite a bit cheaper. Got mine for $72 US ($100 CAD) with a new user discount.
Please post some pics of the silver version when you have it all set-up. :)

Please post some pics of the silver version when you have it all set-up. :)

Will do. Not sure if it is raw aluminum, or if it was just not anodized with a colour. There was a $60 price difference between the 2 and shipping was the same price as the machine so I cheaped out. Not sure why the US would get free shipping when Canada would not.

Back