Toohr #3 knife sharpener

Ok guys I just received my system (only took 7 days) and have a potential issue. I want to know if there is anything I can do to correct it.

The rotating block that engages the 4 balls is wobbly. No matter how tight I tighten the spring the clamp bar wobbles up and down on the balls. I'm thinking the holes that the balls sit in are too big. I'm sure if I tried to sharpen a knife with the bar wobbling up and down it wouldn't be good.

Is there anything I can do to remedy or do I need to contact the seller?

Other than that everything seems pretty good. And as I mentioned it arrived in only 7 days! Unbelievable!

The rotating block that engages the 4 balls is wobbly. No matter how tight I tighten the spring the clamp bar wobbles up and down on the balls. I'm thinking the holes that the balls sit in are too big. I'm sure if I tried to sharpen a knife with the bar wobbling up and down it wouldn't be good.

I would say disassemble the bar and brass piece if you can and inspect it to see if anything obstructs the balls from going in all the way. Tighten all the bar screws up again. Maybe a little burr or something from machining?

I would say disassemble the bar and brass piece if you can and inspect it to see if anything obstructs the balls from going in all the way. Tighten all the bar screws up again. Maybe a little burr or something from machining?
Thank you for the response. I've disassembled it and don't see any issue. However maybe the balls are not going in at all, is there supposed to be a gap between the two pieces? I can look down between the gap and see the 4 balls, they certainly are not going in. I was thinking the holes were too big and wobbling.

Maybe the pieces are just not seating together. I'm going to try and find a pic how this is supposed to look.

Thank you for the response. I've disassembled it and don't see any issue. However maybe the balls are not going in at all, is there supposed to be a gap between the two pieces? I can look down between the gap and see the 4 balls, they certainly are not going in. I was thinking the holes were too big and wobbling.

Maybe the pieces are just not seating together. I'm going to try and find a pic how this is supposed to look.
Just checked one of your pics and you have a gap also. Interesting, mine just wobbles on the balls no matter how tight I make the spring.

Pretty much unusable. But everything else is great

Just checked one of your pics and you have a gap also. Interesting, mine just wobbles on the balls no matter how tight I make the spring.

Pretty much unusable. But everything else is great
Well I think I figured it out. The metal tube in-between the 4 balls on mine protrudes out and I think it is supposed to be flush. So it is preventing the balls from engaging the holes.

Well I think I figured it out. The metal tube in-between the 4 balls on mine protrudes out and I think it is supposed to be flush. So it is preventing the balls from engaging the holes.
Yes that was the issue. They will be sending a replacement part. In the meantime Mr. Dremel assisted me 😁

This is an amazing unit at a tremendous value. And 7 day delivery was surprising.

Yes that was the issue. They will be sending a replacement part. In the meantime Mr. Dremel assisted me 😁

This is an amazing unit at a tremendous value. And 7 day delivery was surprising.
Excellent, glad you got it resolved!

Excellent, glad you got it resolved!
Mr 777 I am wanting to purchase a set of R2 universal angled clamps from Gritomatic. Is there any chance of purchasing a set of adapters for the Toohr3 from you?

The clamps will be useless if I can't get them attached to the device 😉

Mr 777 I am wanting to purchase a set of R2 universal angled clamps from Gritomatic. Is there any chance of purchasing a set of adapters for the Toohr3 from you?

I'd love to help but won't be able to assist until at least the end of the year - I'm in the process of a big move and all my stuff is in storage.

If you contact Gritomatic directly, I'm sure they would get the adapters back in stock soon for you.

I'd love to help but won't be able to assist until at least the end of the year - I'm in the process of a big move and all my stuff is in storage.

If you contact Gritomatic directly, I'm sure they would get the adapters back in stock soon for you.
Thank you sir

K Kleendroid , I spoke with Gritomatic about it, and they have them back in stock for you.

K Kleendroid , I spoke with Gritomatic about it, and they have them back in stock for you.

Thank you very much, I immediately ordered 4 of them yesterday along with another set of clamps.

Man I tell you what, there are so many new attachments for current systems and also new systems coming out that I'm going to go broke:) I am sure I'll buy many of them.

Thank you very much, I immediately ordered 4 of them yesterday along with another set of clamps.

Man I tell you what, there are so many new attachments for current systems and also new systems coming out that I'm going to go broke:) I am sure I'll buy many of them.
Post about it here when you've tried out the new clamps and adapters. I think you'll like using the universal angled Hapstone clamps on your TooHR. It's a huge upgrade.

Post about it here when you've tried out the new clamps and adapters. I think you'll like using the universal angled Hapstone clamps on your TooHR. It's a huge upgrade.
I will, I'm excited. I also picked up the new Planeshift universal stone holder for my Work Sharp Professional Precision Adjust thanks to seeing it on Facebook. Fun stuff.

Parts, pieces, stones, knives, systems showing up almost every day.

I will, I'm excited. I also picked up the new Planeshift universal stone holder for my Work Sharp Professional Precision Adjust thanks to seeing it on Facebook. Fun stuff.

Parts, pieces, stones, knives, systems showing up almost every day.
And the rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper 😅

The TooHR is a nice system, I have been enjoying mine. It is a shame to hear when somebody gets a defective part but so far I think everybody has been sent replacements which is really good.

Well guys I followed the advice and got the Hapstone Universal Angled Clamps for my Toohr3. I have sharpened 5 knives with them so far and in my opinion they are a game changer. Did a great job of clamping any knife I tried.

Yes they are expensive but well worth the investment. I think these are the perfect clamps

The only issue is the screws that Gritomatic sends with the adapters are too short. So a trip to the store is needed.

Well guys I followed the advice and got the Hapstone Universal Angled Clamps for my Toohr3. I have sharpened 5 knives with them so far and in my opinion they are a game changer. Did a great job of clamping any knife I tried.

Yes they are expensive but well worth the investment. I think these are the perfect clamps

The only issue is the screws that Gritomatic sends with the adapters are too short. So a trip to the store is needed.

I totally agree, Hapstone's universal angled clamps are phenomenal clamps and do a great job with most knives.

As far as I know Gritomatic has stock of longer screws, I think they will be happy to send longer ones with the order as long as you let them know what you need.

Well, got to work early to get a jump on a project early and get it out of the way, thought I'd see whats new on the forum and 16 pages later in this thread I find this to be very interesting. A quality made sharpening system, attractive price, gonna take some work to fix it when I get it, possibly a headache, may want accessories but in the end it's all worth it. Wow.

Well, got to work early to get a jump on a project early and get it out of the way, thought I'd see whats new on the forum and 16 pages later in this thread I find this to be very interesting. A quality made sharpening system, attractive price, gonna take some work to fix it when I get it, possibly a headache, may want accessories but in the end it's all worth it. Wow.
Keep an eye out, sometimes it is listed for under 70 bucks. That's when you should jump on it.

Back